MOSQUITOS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by Fly380 Star rating in Las Filipinas, Orihu.... 253 posts Send private message

I have noticed in the Villamartin (Orihuela Costa) area where I live there seem to be very few of the little critters. I went to Mojacar one day last week and as darkness came there were millions of them. My son who was holidaying there by the coast, had to shut all the windows of the flat he was renting. The lovely balcony was unuseable after dark. There was no aircon either so I dont think his wife was very happy sleeping in a sauna. They really can spoil a holiday. I suppose the only thing to do is wire off the balcony like they do in Florida but you still get bitten if you go out for a meal. I certainly wouldn't choose to live there - pretty as it is.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 10:55 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi - yes the mossies can get bad, they do tend to prefer me to anyone as well! I use the electric plug in machines, change the tablet every day and that keeps them out of the rooms. You could try one on the terrace but failing that there are great anit mossie sticks, they look like deodorant, which you roll onto your arms, legs, chest and forehead (and anywhere else) - this definately keeps them away and you will have no problems with them.

Good luck

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 9:17 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 9:36 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Roberto,   they seem to love me but I do like Marmite so will give it a try.  They do not come near Roy I think that must be for doing 2years national service in Hong Kong all the pills they gave them has made him immune. Regards Pat  

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 10:00 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Mossies much prefer the blood of the females to that of the male!  They are discerning little critters!!   Ladies should not wear anything that is scented/perfumed, including deodorants. Tee Tree oil /body lotion is a good deterrent and  the neat oil is good for putting on bites too.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 10:36 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

I use Avon skin so soft, hate the smell as much as the Mosquitos but it really does work.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 10:43 PM by Doonhamer Star rating in Orihuela Costa , Spa.... 17 posts Send private message

Doonhamer´s avatar

I don't know about mosquitos but I can tell you about MIDGES!

In Scotland we are plagued by the terrible Midge - real maneaters (and also partial to the ladies).

I am a keen fly fisher and often got attacked by swarms of the pirhana like beasties.Then one day some years ago there appeared in one of the national fishing publications an article by a well known private contributor describing the powerful antimidge properties he had discovered of an AVON product called SKIN SO SOFT  (IMPORTANT -  It is the one which comes in a greeny blue bottle). Once the ribald comments of the knowalls died down there has been a growing support for this product and local fishermen in my area can vouche for its efficacy. I have no doubts at all and use it regularly in the evening when I am going up the water ( I do still get some funny looks and enquiring sniffs from passers by ).

I only get an occasional bite from an ignorant midge trying his luck  so I can recommend this to you all to try. I am positive that it will have just as good  an effect on their Spanish Mossie relatives.

[I am in no way connected to any business - AVON included]

Hasta Luego

Pat

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 10:48 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Last night I was nibbled by something a few times.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:11 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Morerosado please keep your private life out of this discussion.   I will get hold of an avon book and try this and see if it works thanks a lot everyone. Pat

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:14 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Seriously, I have little red blobs up my arm from something nibbling me overnight.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:15 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

More,

Hate to tell you but there's a lot of chicken pox going around!!!!!

Pat,

I have some of that Avon stuff, think I got roped into buying it for some reason, never used it so now I'll try it thanks

This message was last edited by Candyfloss on 8/6/2007.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:22 PM by 8yewtree Star rating in San Cayetano, Murcia.... 316 posts Send private message

8yewtree´s avatar

We have some friends in CDS and they swear by Jasmine. They have loads of it growing and don't seem to be bothered. We'll certainly be growing Jasmine when we move out there next year.

Donna

This message was last edited by 8yewtree on 8/6/2007.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:23 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes as you know more I am still getting over shingles would not wish that on anyone   Pat

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:23 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Great Donna,

And the smell will be good too. Do they need a lot of looking after and watering??

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:26 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

OMG Pat,

I had that a few years ago, dreadful thing, was off work for 6 weeks. I do sympathise with you. Hope you are over it now. I had it all over my face and looked like the elephant woman.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:32 PM by 8yewtree Star rating in San Cayetano, Murcia.... 316 posts Send private message

8yewtree´s avatar

I don't think they require much looking after but the water is very important, apparently they sense water and will travel to get it, especially if its been stagnant for a few days. You shouldn't have still water outside or this will attract the mossies. My friend, who has live in CDS for almost 7 years, waters her plants but never gives them any spare even if they are away for a few days.

I intend to put this theory to the test when we move and will, of course, report here

Who knows - she may just be lucky!

Donna

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:35 PM by harley Star rating in West Midlands/ Costa.... 67 posts Send private message

harley´s avatar
They jump over me just to get to the other half of the partner ship (male) and would you belive it
he was a marmite baby, and still is.
Are the Spanish ones cousins to the Greek mossis? little darlings they are. Anyone been dived bombed always keep a rolled up news paper the side of the bed so funny to see hubbie swotting them in the middle of the night its like a war zone in the morning.
No bits on me wonder why??????

Harley

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:41 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Thanks Gina for your concern yes I have had it for about 10weeks now,  not on the face round stomach and side still getting stabbing pains which they say can go on for a year great.   Never mind I try and look on the bright side there is worse things  PAT   

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:52 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Sorry you are still having problems with shingles, Pat. My grandad had it after he lost gran. I understand it's very painful, linked to the nerves & made worse by stress. Am I correct ?

Like 0      
06 Aug 2007 11:58 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
That Avon Skin So Soft stuff is something we all should have in our cupboards if THIS is anything to go by... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bts/389177748.html

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

flights to seville - 3 posts
Listen online to your favourite radio stations on the Costa Blanca - 2 posts
Roda golf apartment. - 0 posts
CHRISTMAS AWAY FROM "HOME"....WHERE THOUGH ?? - 2 posts
Habitation License - 1 posts
Home owner in Balsicas - 7 posts
From off plan to village life - 2 posts
Ceiling light electricity wire colours - 18 posts
Map of Cuidad Quesada? - 2 posts
lOS ALCAZARES - 13 posts
Nanny State...Forum - 0 posts
I have a meeting at Manilva town hall on Wednesday - 1 posts
El Moscatel - Manilva - 7 posts
Air Conditioning and Security Grills - 2 posts
Bodega Andaluz - Manilva - 2 posts
Mnailva what is it like - 1 posts
Large group / families wishing to relaocate ? - 0 posts
feral cats - help !! - 5 posts
Learn to speak Spanish online - 2 posts
Long let 2 villas Alhaurin de la Torre, 19/10/08 to 19/04/08, 500€ each - 0 posts
Almeria or Murcia Airport? - 4 posts
Just wanted to say - 27 posts
John & Julie B - New to this site - 1 posts
JET2 Flights - 12 posts
Long Let - New 3 Bed 3 Bath Townhouse nr. Villamartin/San Miguel de Salinas - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 85

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x