MOSQUITOS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Aug 2007 5:56 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Eileen, My Doc said that is not right being exposed to chicken pox it's because you are run down.  But I still think it was strange as I was at my Gransons Birthday party and I was taking them to the toilet and playing with them and a fortnight later I had Shingles.  So I do not know Pat  

Like 0      
08 Aug 2007 9:29 PM by Doonhamer Star rating in Orihuela Costa , Spa.... 17 posts Send private message

Doonhamer´s avatar

Pat and Roy & Eilben - Some info. on Shingles :--

You can get shingles more than once but this does not always happen.

It is not caused by recent contact with Chicken Pox.

Most people have had Chicken Pox as a child.The virus does not go away but hibernates in the nerve roots causing no harm at all. It is only when some unknown factor triggers the reactivation of the virus that the condition known as Shingles occurs.

A person with Shingles cannot pass it on to another but - while in the "rash" stage they can pass on the Chicken Pox virus - which shows up with it's own particular and well known set of symptoms.

Some are of the opinion that excessive exposure to sunlight may be one of the triggers for Shingles - but this is by no means proved.

Google " Herpes Zoster" for more detailed info.

Morerosado - Your piccy does seem to be the Body Oil referred to.

The one that I use is the "Replenishing Body Lotion (soft and fresh)" which is the same coloured bottle but with a different cap.

Pat.

Like 0      
08 Aug 2007 10:56 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Pat ,    Thank you very much for that info. that is what I have been told.  But I hope the sun does not trigger it,  I will never get rid of it.   I see from your  avitar you worked for the NHS I did that for a while in the accounts payable which was quite annoying seeing where the money went.    Thanks again Regards Pat

Like 0      
08 Aug 2007 10:58 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar

Been away for a couple days so am lagging behind on the thread but...............on another Spanish forum site someone recommended sheets of Bounce on your terrace to repel the little devils and also rubbing a sheet of it on your arms and legs. I tried it and it does work!!!! But I'd far rather do for the Avon option and have already placed my order.

Sharon

Like 0      
09 Aug 2007 12:01 PM by eilben Star rating in Chesterfield/Santiag.... 101 posts Send private message

Some interesting theories on shingles! I guess there are a number of triggers & as we are all different it probably affects us differently. I just hope its not caused by the sun as we intend to spend quite a bit of time in Spain. We do not however lie out in the sun, we always use sunscreen & lie in the shade.

Hope the recovery is going well Pat.

Eileen

Like 0      
09 Aug 2007 5:00 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Anyone going to be buying the Avon product SSS, look here.

Avon - 10% Off at Avon & Free Delivery ( Cosmetics )

Promotional Code: Click Here
So for example if you want the item we've all been discussing if you put the code "BIRTHDAY" in you get 50p off your order plus free P&P. At present you also get the bogof offer too.
......................................................................................................................................

Code: Enter: BIRTHDAY

Discount : 10% Off at Avon & Free Delivery

Skin-So-Soft Soft & Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray
Buy 1 Get 1 Free
see more soft & fresh

£5.00
1 extra added to bag with every 1 purchased

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/9/2007.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2007 8:13 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar

Thanks for that! - I've just placed my order (with discount and free delivery!) I won't bother with the sheets of Bounce on my next visit!!! I'll save it for the tumble drier

Sharon

Like 0      
10 Aug 2007 7:51 AM by young Star rating in Stockport/Las Siete .... 70 posts Send private message

Just been reading thru the posts I too have a really bad reaction to any kind of bite, my doctor suggested I take anti _histamine tablets for a couple of days before I go and while I'm there. it doesn't stop them biting you but you don't end up looking like a refugee from the moon (craters etc.)

Like 0      
10 Aug 2007 8:09 AM by Recardo Star rating. 103 posts Send private message

I read a book some years ago, I think it was Andy macknab (SAS soldier) which mentioned  they used a formuls high in DEET as a mosquitoe repelent.

Having looked for formulas high in DEET (Diethyl Toluamide), I found a product called JUNGLE FORMULA which has a 50% concentrate. Again it is not one of the cheapes formulas on the market, dut as the family and I have been using this spray for the last 7-8 years, I would recomend it.

As long as the product you find has a High Deet content give it a try.

Patman below has found it so their is now two of us.

Recardo

Like 0      
22 Aug 2007 1:44 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
My
  Skin-So-Soft Soft & Fresh Dry Oil Body Spray
 has arrived & smells yummy too. I thought it might niff if mossies stayed away.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2007 8:34 PM by Doonhamer Star rating in Orihuela Costa , Spa.... 17 posts Send private message

Doonhamer´s avatar

A wee cautionary note in regard to DEET!

I used to use "Jungle Formula" [Deet] when out fly fishing and found it very effective.

UNTIL - I came home one night bragging about the one that got away [as you do] ,and my dutiful wife decided to give mee a wee peck on the cheek as a reward for being  -er- "male/macho/masterful "and suchlike stuff.

Well - she did - and I thought she was going to have a fit. Her face suddenly expressed shock and revulsion and screwed up something horrid.She rushed into the kitchen and stuck her mouth under the tap for about 5 minutes.She spent the next 5 minutes giving me the rougher edge of her tongue - and I finally realised that she thought she had been poisoned. It was the DEET of course which I still had on my exposed skin/cheek right where she gave me my wee kiss.

It tastes horrible - very bitter. I now know why the Mossies absolutely detest it.

So now I use SSS and smell - well -wonderful. I like to think that I catch more fish now.

[I still keep the DEET in my bag though - just in case]

Like 0      
22 Aug 2007 8:42 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

So, Doonhamer, you have kept the DEET, just in case the wife fancies kissing you again eh??!!

sorry couldn't resist that!!!

Kind regards,

This message was last edited by FibbyUK on 8/22/2007.

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
22 Aug 2007 9:28 PM by Doonhamer Star rating in Orihuela Costa , Spa.... 17 posts Send private message

Doonhamer´s avatar

Hi FIBBYUK

It's the boys  I meet "up the water" that worry me most. I sometimes wonder if they are really there for the fishing.

I mean - it gets DARK up there.

and  - trying to speak in a deep voice  - whilst whistling and so forth - just gets you a sore throat!

Like 0      
22 Aug 2007 9:31 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Oh maw gawd!

How scary!

Just make sure you stay away from any bends in the river e

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
23 Aug 2007 11:24 AM by PhilipN Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Does anyone know where it is possible to buy insect killers...the ultra violet type often seen in restaurants/cafes? There is a wide selection in uk but I don't know where we would find them in the Los Alcazares area

Like 0      
23 Aug 2007 11:47 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Philip, check out Lidl's over there as we've sometimes seen then on their offers & I would expect any of the "ferret" shops would sell them, they sell so much. You know the shops I mean ? They have a Ferreteria sign outside. Get extra keys cut there too. Aladdin's Caves they are.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2007 6:53 PM by PhilipN Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

Many Thanks, I will give both a try.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2007 7:04 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Philip we tried the household variety that plug in a wall socket (against my better judgement it has to be said)  - bought in the UK - didnt work!!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
23 Aug 2007 7:17 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
I disagree with that remark - theyre great if you have a good aim!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
23 Aug 2007 7:37 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Yeah right - with your aim it will be a window that gets broken - mind you a mate of mine has bought this thing like a tennis racquet only a lot smaller - battery operated - crap for killing insects but great fun buzzing yiour mates - its a shocker!! Wouldnt be allowed in the Uk methinks - been on sale in garden centres - its the business

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

flights to seville - 3 posts
Listen online to your favourite radio stations on the Costa Blanca - 2 posts
Roda golf apartment. - 0 posts
CHRISTMAS AWAY FROM "HOME"....WHERE THOUGH ?? - 2 posts
Habitation License - 1 posts
Home owner in Balsicas - 7 posts
From off plan to village life - 2 posts
Ceiling light electricity wire colours - 18 posts
Map of Cuidad Quesada? - 2 posts
lOS ALCAZARES - 13 posts
Nanny State...Forum - 0 posts
I have a meeting at Manilva town hall on Wednesday - 1 posts
El Moscatel - Manilva - 7 posts
Air Conditioning and Security Grills - 2 posts
Bodega Andaluz - Manilva - 2 posts
Mnailva what is it like - 1 posts
Large group / families wishing to relaocate ? - 0 posts
feral cats - help !! - 5 posts
Learn to speak Spanish online - 2 posts
Long let 2 villas Alhaurin de la Torre, 19/10/08 to 19/04/08, 500€ each - 0 posts
Almeria or Murcia Airport? - 4 posts
Just wanted to say - 27 posts
John & Julie B - New to this site - 1 posts
JET2 Flights - 12 posts
Long Let - New 3 Bed 3 Bath Townhouse nr. Villamartin/San Miguel de Salinas - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 85

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x