What happens if I don't use a flight?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Mar 2014 4:51 PM by PAL Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

I need to book flights back to the UK for the end of October, having previously booked outgoing flights only. Did it because at the time they were cheap, but no return was availlable then.

It's now going to work out cheaper to book return flights, rahter than one way back, based on current prices.

What happens if I book return flights, using a cheap outgoing flight which I won't use, and then never check in for the outgoing flights. Presumably it won't invalidate the return flight which I will be using?

Hope this makes sense!

Like 0      
10 Mar 2014 5:41 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi PAL - I think it makes sense to us mere mortals, but it might not to the airline!  I once had a booking for a return trip from Glasgow to the US via Amsterdam, as it was cheaper than flying direct from Amsterdam.  When I asked if I could abandon the final flight back from Amsterdam to Glasgow I was told no, and that they would not take my luggage off the plane, even though I would have declared all this at check-in.  I had to fly on to Glasgow and then book a flight back home to Alicante!

You may find that if you don´t turn up for the first flight then they will cancel the second - best to contact the airline and ask specifically.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2014 5:44 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar
This will be against the T & Cs of the ticket purchsed and the airline could subsequently pursue you for the fare difference - not saying they will just that they could as you are technically in breach of contract
Best check with the airline

Like 0      
10 Mar 2014 7:45 PM by Joe1 Star rating. 135 posts Send private message

Joe1´s avatar

I can't realy see the problem in missing one part of a return flight, people do it all the time!

If it puts your mind to rest, why not check in online for outward and return and then simply use the part you require. You have afterall paid for the right to travel and it's entirely up to you if you want to exercise that right.

Like 0      
10 Mar 2014 7:49 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

Hi Pal

It probably depends on the airline. I tried this once with flybe. When I didn't use the 1st flight the 2nd one was cancelled on their system.

If you use the 1st leg of a ticket there will not be a problem if you don't use the return but I would not risk trying to use a return if I had not used the outbound flight.

David

Like 0      
10 Mar 2014 10:55 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Maybe the concern goes back to the days when you had to re confirm your return on chartered flights, I'm sure on sheduled flights especially now that with most airlines you check in on line it shouldn't be a problem.

A couple of years back I remember missing my easyjet flight from Luton to Malaga because of a accident on the M1, the next day I managed to get a single with Ryanair from Birmingham but still took up the return flight with easy jet back to Luton - I didn't have a problem.

This message was last edited by Team GB on 10/03/2014.

This message was last edited by Team GB on 10/03/2014.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2014 5:25 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

You do not state which airline you are using. If you were using Ryanair, easyJet or most of the budget airlines  they are a point-to-point airlines. That is each flight is totally separate so if you were flying from say, Spain to Scotland via London you would have 1 flight to London and a totally separate flight from London to Scotland. If for any reason your first flight was delayed and you missed your 2nd flight then tough. If however you were using the likes of B.A. for both flights then if the first flight was delayed then the airline needs to rearrange your flight and usually pay for your overnight acommodation. I have been looking at flying from Spain/U.K. to U.S.A. If I  choose just 1 way the fare is between double and treble the return fare. So what I do is just use the outward flight and throw away the return! However with most (non budget) airlines if you have a return flight then if you don't use the first one you automatically lose the second (return) one.  You need to carefully read the T & C's. Another option is to use a skyscanner (best price on-line broker type site) to see if the airline you have chosen is actually the best for you regarding time, price, airports etc. etc.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2014 7:42 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I once asked an airline (Cheap job) about this. They said if I did not book in for the outbound flight the whole booking would be cancelled.

Just on the same point. A friend use to buy RHD cars in Spain drive to UK, sell them and buy LHD and sell them in Spain. Once he booked a cheap one day return using his credit card.  When he did not use the return half they surcharged the credit card for the normal one way ticket.  After that he used to buy the cheap ticket in a Travel Agents at the port using cash.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2014 1:10 PM by semo Star rating in Ireland. 84 posts Send private message

If both bookings are with the same airline don't use the single booking you have already made and simply use the new booking that includes both.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2014 2:54 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Its ok with Ryanair and Easyjet, they are point to point airlines, in effect they charge you for two single fares on a return booking.

From Ryanair website.

All Ryanair flights are fully changeable but cannot be cancelled. Passengers are therefore not required to notify us if they are unable to travel on their booked flights. Passengers who do not use their outbound flight may use their return flight.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2014 2:58 PM by semo Star rating in Ireland. 84 posts Send private message

If you don't use the outward flight on an easyjet flight they can (and have) cancelled the return.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2014 4:43 PM by PAL Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Thanks all for your replies so far.

My existing outward flight is with Ryanair. My proposed not-to-be used outward and the important return are with Jet2. I've checked Jet2's T&C's and can't see anything that covers this.

Potential saving by booking two way flights with Jet2 rather than a single return is around £150 for 3 persons. So not insignificant!

Dilemna!

Like 0      
11 Mar 2014 6:05 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

Jet 2 are not a simple point to point carrier. I suspect they will cancel your flight when you don't show for the outbound flight. If it was me I'd just contact customer services and ask the question.

David

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EU Bankers Bonus Capped - UK? - 5 posts
THE CLUBHOUSE IN MANILVA - 1 posts
advice on buying a garage - 3 posts
Statute of limitations - 1 posts
CAR TAX - 15 posts
motorhome insurance - 0 posts
Of course we MUST stay in the EU - 0 posts
green residency certificate? - 4 posts
Writer Seeks Accommodation in return for Work - 0 posts
WHAT HAPPENED? - 9 posts
Only in Spain - 1 posts
Clausula Suelo - 2 posts
Modelo 210 - 0 posts
Could get even happier IF this is true - 2 posts
documents needed to open a new bank account. - 5 posts
senore dude - 2 posts
non-resident UK Licence/Spanish car - 12 posts
Please recommend me a property lawyer, Malaga area - 2 posts
Worst Drivers in Europe - 1 posts
metal runners for kitchen drawers - 8 posts
Best and cheapest way to get to Morocco from Marbella - 4 posts
Taking furniture to Spain in my own van - 3 posts
Agents renting property fees - 0 posts
Usufructs - 8 posts
Embedding a Youtube videos using iPad - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x