Worst Drivers in Europe

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Mar 2014 12:49 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Contrary to the poll I set up a while back, which put the Spanish first in the list of the worst drivers in Europe... 

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/macpoll/10693/POLL--Who-are-the-worst-drivers-in-Europe.aspx

They are in fact the second worst, not too far off then.. According to French motoring foundation Vinci Autoroutes and the Europe-wide market research firm IPSO surveyed 7,000 people in seven European countries, and 50 per cent believe Italians are the most dangerous drivers.

A total of 16 per cent felt Spaniards were the worst, and 14 per cent considered the French to be the most dangerous.

Swedish drivers were seen as the most responsible drivers, with 47 per cent naming them as the safest, followed by the Germans, who got 26 per cent of the votes, and the British, with 13 per cent.

Survey subjects were asked about their own dangerous habits, and it was found that 86 per cent regularly broke speed limits whilst 62 per cent failed to respect safety distances.

Spanish drivers are more likely to use their horns in stressful situations – 67 per cent of motorists in Spain admitted to doing so, compared to the European average of 47 per cent.

Two-thirds of French and German drivers admitted to insulting other motorists, whilst the European average is just over half.

The seven countries in which the survey was released were the UK, Spain, France, Italy, Sweden, Germany and Belgium.

source: http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/spainnews/12413/Spanish-drivers-second-worst-in-Europe;-British-among-the-safest-.aspx

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2014 2:36 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Surprised the British only got 13 percent. Standards have deteriorated immensely there and they could certainly save a fortune by selling cars without indicators as no-one seems to bother using them.

Motorway driving is particularly bad and I lost count of the number of drivers who just go straight onto the motorway from the slip road without even slowing down, some straight into the outside lane! Mind you, the state of the roads nowadays doesn't help. And if you stick to the 70 MPH limit you'll be holding up all the cars behind except. of course, when a speed camera is spotted when brake lights come on all over the place.

Spanish beeping their horns in "stressful" situations? You mean like the car in front not moving the split second the light changes to green?

Today, on a relatively short trip to Torrevieja, I got cut up 3 times, pulling out of a slip road and a motorbike stopped to let me in only to be overtaken by a car who nipped in front and into the lane I was trying to get into. A German plated car. A Rover 25 (driven by someone who looked Brit) drove virtually all the way along the dual carriageway in the outside lane including across the roundabouts. Almost took out a scooter that was using the inside lane to go all the way round.

I just treat everyone nowadays, regardless of nationality, as a potential threat and give them plenty of room to do their idiotic best. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

metal runners for kitchen drawers - 8 posts
Best and cheapest way to get to Morocco from Marbella - 4 posts
Taking furniture to Spain in my own van - 3 posts
Agents renting property fees - 0 posts
Usufructs - 8 posts
Embedding a Youtube videos using iPad - 2 posts
confused about mag 250 - 16 posts
Unwanted computer downloads - 24 posts
Pau to Jaca - 3 posts
Blogs - 2 posts
buying a new car in Spain - 25 posts
Spanish border on the northern Moroccan coast - What's your opinion? - 0 posts
NIE-- IN MURCIA - 5 posts
Does anyone know the right way to go about this? - 5 posts
British expats in Spain urged to vote - 1 posts
email's - 5 posts
Malaga Car - 0 posts
UK CAR IN SPAIN --- HOW LONG - 3 posts
PASSPORT CHANGE - 13 posts
Community Accounts - 5 posts
Community Swimming Pool - 0 posts
personal tax allowances in spain - 2 posts
Missing, possibly stolen: Our beautiful Spaniel cross, tan colour, three years old. - 8 posts
Residency in Spain - 17 posts
EXCHANGE RATE FOR YEARLY TAXES. - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x