Bought some bits and pieces today

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We decided to go shopping today to get a few bits and pieces for the apartment (which we haven't had any contract for yet!!!!). The idea is to buy little and often to get the basics.

We went to the new Asda at Home store for a look see as we were there a couple of weeks ago to buy a cheap light fitting. At the last visit they had both bayonet and screw fit lamps and we were going to buy one, especially as they were reduced by 50%!!! None available though .

I hate shopping, but was amazed at the prices of some of the things and we went on a buying spree for all the small and light things. We ended up buying an anti bacterial chopping board, washing up brushes x2, 1 litre measuring jug, chrome egg cups x4, Scissors x3 pairs, 5 piece knife block, ice tray x2, sieve, pizza Wheel, tin opener, corkscrew/ bottle opener, potato masher, ladle, slotted spoon, fish slice, coasters x4, hangers x10 & cotton tea towels x5. We had change from £25.

Next stop is to buy the £15 DVD player and possibly the £90 PS2, surely they can't be any cheaper in Spain?

Mark

Like 0      
29 Jul 2007 5:37 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Markfish you did really well there.  That was interesting about the dvd player I did have a look in Spain when we was their but seemed very expensive to me    I went everywhere to get a potato masher and they do not seem to exist their.  I asked an English woman who was selling kitchen goods and she brings them over from England and they are sold out the same day.    We also looked for different light fittings that we have and they were very expensive as well.   So well done they say their is a lot sales at the moment as the High Street is not doing very well.  So thanks for that Regards Pat

Like 0      
29 Jul 2007 5:43 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Fun isn't it, furnishing another home, Mark ? We did the same as you, we bought in sales too & items we knew we'd be needing, such as bathroom fittings, curtain poles, curtains, patio set, rotary line, light & fan fittings that took the screw in type bulbs, new bedding, all usually on offer over a year. Didn't seem as expensive. (Had to laugh to see you've bought the basics, a corkscrew & a can opener ) You forget what you need & just take for granted.

When we completed (we are currently still non residents BTW) we sent just over 5m3 by a firm who are near us  www.removals.gb.com  We sent single beds we had rarely used, a new (Kettler brand) patio set with six chairs & a large oblong table (as in Spain this set we bought was expensive & often they are, anyway), flatpacks from Argos for chest of drawers in bedrooms, flatpacks for coffee tables, cutlery, crockery, you name it, it all helped us as we hadn't a clue where to go for most of it over there & didn't want to do more than what we already had to.

Lidl's often have light fittings on offer with the screw in bulbs, got ours there. Focus had fans with three lights which took screw in bulbs too, got ours there.

Regarding any electrical items you purchase in Spain they have a TWO year guarantee unlike in the UK where the norm's only 12 month ! We picked up a DVD player from Master Cadenas electrical store within the Haberneras Centre behind Carrefour (Torrevieja) for under 35€.

Where is it you are buying, Mark ?

Like 0      
29 Jul 2007 6:35 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Where is it you are buying, Mark ?

We are buying on Al andalus resort in Vera. Didn't really want to jinx it too early on, but now we are buying stuff, I suppose it doesn't matter. Just wish Key Mare would hurry up and get that contract to the solicitors .

(Had to laugh to see you've bought the basics, a corkscrew & a can opener )

Working on having screw tops for the lager, or cans . Saw some 5 litre kegs in the Mercado at Vera while over there, even better .

I went everywhere to get a potato masher and they do not seem to exist their. 

Couldn't believe the prices in Asda. I know there is cheap and nasty, but these were just cheap . 79p for each of them (ladle, slotted spoon, masher, spoon, fish slice) and they are reasonably heavy duty black plastic that I would use at home.

I think I will buy a pack of 2 pin plugs once in Spain nd just change the three pins, either that or do it the "gash" way and have converters in each socket . I have my trusty ols Sky digibox already packed waiting to go in the hand luggage, just waiting on the Sky card from the UK so I don't have to pay the huge fee to have it conected there.

I think we have moved in already, maybe we ought not to run before we can walk though .

Mark

Like 0      
29 Jul 2007 7:16 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
79p each ? You were robbed.  J Sainsbury have a 19p range quite ok for a second home.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2007 7:26 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

You made me go and check my receipt, not quite so bad they were only 34p ea. Still nearly twice the price though . Just looking through the Argo catalogue now to see what can be found, 24 piece cutlery set only £2.97!!

Mark

Like 0      
29 Jul 2007 9:14 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I took over Kettle, toaster as when we bought in 2003 there weren't many available in Spain.  I took a 4 gang strip socket as well, so only need to use one plug adapter in socket.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2007 9:45 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Carrefour is rather like Asda, Tesco's or Morrisons etc for basics .. irons, toasters, vacuums, microwaves, though I was glad I took a cheap kettle over as Carrefour had none which I thought was odd. I mean I can do without an IRON, not so a kettle.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2007 3:34 PM by eilben Star rating in Chesterfield/Santiag.... 101 posts Send private message

Hi

We did the same, buying bits & pieces over the year we were waiting for completion. Decided to buy small electricals in Spain to save problem of plugs. Kettles didn't seem to exist, guess they don'y drink tea. Recent trip to Carrefour proved me wrong, there was a choice of three kettles. I suppose next time I go there will be none left..

Bought all the bedding in the UK & it fits the Spanish beds just fine. Used the sales of course. Now looking for curtains. Managed to get everything over to Spain in suitcases, including pans, used the kids luggage allowance as they don't need masses of clothes like the rest of us!!

Good luck with all the shopping.

Eileen

Like 0      
30 Jul 2007 4:20 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

On the subject of getting all the stuff you buy over if you are not driving, Easyjet have a "no limit within reason" policy on hand luggage as long as it fits size (one of the small suitcases is OK). You also have your 20kg allowance in the hold. So clothes in the small case (hope you have a washing machine in your property) and all the goodies you've bought in the hold. This is what we are planning when we (eventually) complete.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
30 Jul 2007 5:25 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

You could even save weight by packing items into a holdall which weighs less than a suitcase.

I don't like the pillows in Spain as they are very narrow.  I bought mine from Matalan, they came in a vacumn sealed pack very handy for packing.  I also use Space Bags to reduce the size of bedding and clothes I'm taking out, these pad the side of the holdall and helps to protect the items in the middle.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2007 6:21 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Morerosado: "...glad I took a cheap kettle over as Carrefour had none which I thought was odd."

The Spanish generally don't do kettles. We used to have them in some rental apartments, but got fed up replacing them after Spanish guests kept destroying them by boiling milk in them!

"English" size pillows available from Dunnes stores in Andalucia. Sorry all you Costa Blanca folk, I guess there's not a strong enough Irish community there yet?! 

For all you bargain baggers, Plus stores are owned by Carrefour and often sell the same stuff but cheaper (end of line stuff etc)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Jul 2007 7:03 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

You can also get "English" pillows in the Carrefour.

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 7/30/2007.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
04 Aug 2007 2:38 AM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar

I'd made a list of all the "bits and pieces" required and after reading this thread it's just got longer! Pizza Wheel/Potato Masher hadn't even thought of those and pillows hadn't thought of those either!! - although someone had told me about Dunnes - it is toward Fuengirola? I assumed I'd get most of it in Spain although since reading your clever packing ideas I think I might just take one set of clothes and wash them every night!!!

Anymore top tips would be gratefully received - as I'm not going back until September so I've got time to plan!

Sharon 

Like 0      
04 Aug 2007 10:58 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Lidl's often have light fittings on offer with the screw in bulbs, got ours there. Focus had fans with three lights which took screw in bulbs too, got ours there.

Found the local Lidl's this week (after initially going to Aldi's . Well, they have the same sort of shop front!!) and it only sells food. Now how daft is it for a supermarket these days to only sell food . Bought loads of stuff this week from Argos, Kettle £3.50, toaster £3.50, Iron (for the wife, as I can't drive one very well  ) £4.50, 24 piece cutlery set £2.97, 4 piece saucepan set £7. Not a bad day's work!!!

I see Easyjet are going to start charging now for every piece of checked in luggage now, although it is only £2 per bag instead of 1st bag free and £5 for each subsequent. Still works out much cheaper to pay £2 per case to get stuff out to Spain than to send it by post/ courier/ removal company.

Still can't find any bargain screw in light fittings though!!!

Mark

Like 0      
04 Aug 2007 11:20 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi All

Got some pillows at Ikea in Murcia and also at the market. There is a nice bedding shop called Yorkshire bedding company in San javier duvets and all sorts. Very reasonable too. Just don't forget the corkscrew. I was stupid and checked another suitcase without realising the weight had to be the same as two bags. Paid £100 excess so would have been cheaper for me to have bought in Spain, Yes before anyone says it I didn't read the small print.  .  Shop around for sun beds and garden furniture too, you'll be surprised at how the prices vary in different shops.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2007 1:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Mark said "Found the local Lidl's this week (after initially going to Aldi's . Well, they have the same sort of shop front!!) and it only sells food. Now how daft is it for a supermarket these days to only sell food "

Maybe it's just your local Lidl's, Mark, as any I use have lots of non food items & great bargains. We have two Lidl's within 3 miles of each other.  Aldi have non food things too.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/i.home

http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

Mark, you said "I see Easyjet are going to start charging now for every piece of checked in luggage now" Where did you see that as there's nothing on their website !

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/4/2007.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2007 1:11 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Sharon, do you have a Dunelm's store in your area as we bought lots there for taking to Spain too.

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/cm/AboutUs.htm

Check out their store finder here >> http://www.dunelm-mill.com/pages/storelocator/choosestore.asp

They now deliver goods overseas. Taken from http://www.dunelm-mill.com/cm/TC.htm

Delivery Services Information

1. We now offer delivery overseas on all our products excluding beds, matresses, headboards and furniture (approximately 7 working days). Please call 08451 65 65 65 where one of our advisors will give you more details.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2007 1:55 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Hi morerosado

I saw it eralier today on teletext, but If you take a look at this page (http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#baggage) you will see there is a section for flights departing up to 30th September 2007 and a section for flights departing on or after 1st October 2007 which explains it bettr than I can.

Mark

Like 0      
04 Aug 2007 2:04 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi

Is this a new thing then? I pay for bags with BMI baby but not easy jet. Is it just for new bookings? I've paid for speedy board but no bags.................

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Small van/Big van any where in Spain... - 3 posts
When is a child not a child? - 2 posts
Where inland? - 5 posts
Caryn NY - 2 posts
Hi from Alan & Elaine - 6 posts
Key holder/cleaner/handover person wanted for Aloe on Valle Del Este - 1 posts
SMILEY APOLOGISES - 2 posts
Where to Live in Spain...and Why? - 69 posts
How long - 7 posts
Manilva Park - 12 posts
New Passport Delivery Service in Spain - 4 posts
holistic therapy ? - 4 posts
thinking about work - 11 posts
Compensation for Late Completion of Property - 1 posts
wanted accomodation at Nueva Ribera for one week from Monday coming ! - 1 posts
Legal Costs - 6 posts
Job vacancy in Elviria, Málaga ( 8 km east from Marbella. - 3 posts
Job vacancy in Elviria, Málaga ( 8 km east of Marbella). - 0 posts
Lawyer in Ibiza - recommendation please - 0 posts
moving soon to spain help needed - 9 posts
TAPRISA 97 Torrevieja area - 3 posts
Directions from Murcia airpot to Vera - 16 posts
beverley robinson - 2 posts
Glad to be here,hello everyone. - 11 posts
How to complain about a post - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 48

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x