Car rental through Do You Spain /Goldcar

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jul 2013 3:58 PM by terrance43 Star rating in Hertfordshire. 34 posts Send private message

Recently I hired two cars from GOLDCAR via DO YOU SPAIN. At Barcelona Airport I was asked to leave a deposit of 650 euros plus hire fees.Having returned the car after  3 days I then took a train to Alicante train station and hired a car from Goldcar and again was asked to leave a deposit of 650euros . I did mention and showed my policy of Car Excess insurance which i took out in the uk .However, I was then told by Jose Maria at Goldcar that the car that i was hiring did not have any insurance on it (CDW & Third party) and i had to pay an additional 140 euros . I phoned DYS and spoke to a lady who ask to speak Jose .The phone was returned to me and she at DYS told me to pay the 140 euros.

If Jose was telling me the truth this suggests that there are many drivers in Spain in cars that are not insured and they would be liable for any accident.. So although i had CAR Eccess insurance the basic insurance was not provided in the cost of hiring the vehicles  I also querried with DYS why the deposit was 650 euros and NOT300euros as was stated DYS said that it was at a train station and not an Airport to which i reponded and said that at Barcelona Airport i was also asked for 650 euros as a deposit to which she could not answer.

I have e mailed both companies but as yet neither have responded.As a caution to all drivers check with your hiring company the cheapest fees are not always the best.Very dis appointed with both companies.

This message was last edited by terrance43 on 29/07/2013.

Like 0      
29 Jul 2013 5:37 PM by I_Love_javea Star rating in Gibraltar / Morocco .... 125 posts Send private message

I only use Hertz, Avis for all my rental car needs, I have never had any of these problems that seem to come up all too often on forums like this time and time again.

Shiny happy people - where?

Like 0      
30 Jul 2013 5:25 PM by gjohnint Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Gold car were the subject of an investigation on UK ITV a few weeks ago. They have been asking for these deposits even when people have had insurance of their own, they have been asking for additionl insurance when people have bought full cover with their car hire and they have been ripping people off on fuel costs both charging 505 more than fuel costs ouside the airport and then also saying the tank and therefore cost to fill is much larger than it is. IE they wnted to fill a Panda with a tank size of 40 litrese with 60 litre of fuel.

The ITV team also got no resposne when they contacted Goldcar management

Only one way to treat these companies. AVOID like the plague and send them out of business.

Like 0      
30 Jul 2013 7:14 PM by lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

Don´t touch Gold car with a barge pole, I did a hire through easyjet for a week and ended up with a car from goldcar, I had taken easyjets insurance which should mean that you do not have to take optional insurance and when I went to collect the car I was told that my Capital one visa credit card was a debit card, they even have their computer screen set up to show you this ( impossible as I do not have a bank account with them and have never had a problem before with any other hire company , normally hire from Malagacar.com ) and would need to pay for exceess insurance or leave  big deposit and as they were the only firm who had cars available in Granada at the time had no option. BIG BIG BIG con.

Have now bought a car so do not need to hire again

Like 0      
31 Jul 2013 12:13 AM by Redrose Star rating in Norwich. 233 posts Send private message

We have used Goldcar a few times and found them okay...but I suspect it was pure luck...havent heard a good word about them....we hired out of season once and they almost gave us car and fuel for free!!!

Like 0      
31 Jul 2013 8:17 AM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

What a complete shower gold car are. I used them through do you spain absolutely never again which also makes
Me mistrust d y s for future purchases. The que at malaga was 3 hours long they were rude, did not accept
Insurance for C W D supplied through a site provided by d y s there is a local car rental company next to then
Lled lindos autos I spoke to them they are comparative on price local not national and very polite, im going to use them next
Gold car needs a massive shake up I wonder what their ceo would have to say if any thing like their staff probably wou
Ot give a dam

Like 0      
31 Jul 2013 12:05 PM by terrance43 Star rating in Hertfordshire. 34 posts Send private message

Certainly will not use DYS again or Goldcar .What a rip off .Still wailting for a reply from them but will also deal with this when i go back to UK.

Like 0      
07 Aug 2013 5:30 PM by terrance43 Star rating in Hertfordshire. 34 posts Send private message

Just been charged an additional 60 euros by Goldcar for the cleaning of the car which I believe was not dirty .Absolutely scandalous! What a rip off company

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 12:18 PM by fazeress Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

I had just replied to the other thread on this and now I've read this one I wonder if they (Goldcar) charged me for cleaning mine!  Surely they do this in between renters anyhow?  All I know is that I would never use them again!  Luckily we have our own car so won't need to hire but I certainly wouldn't allow any of my friends or family to use them either!

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 12:37 PM by OMARELL Star rating in Baldock Hertfordshir.... 47 posts Send private message

I dont know how often you come to Spain,but if it is at least 3 times a year then it is worth it buying your own car and leaving it at the airport for 300 euros a year.none of this extortionate con by the car rental companies

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 1:53 PM by fazeress Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

OMARELL, it did say in my last post that we now had our own car and its kept at our house so all good!

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 3:39 PM by emh Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Sorry frazeress did not read earlier replies.Well done

Like 0      
10 Aug 2013 4:55 PM by casperruby Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

I see below do you spain are advertising car hire eve on a forum pulling them to shreads if ever on boycotted them for one week and emailed them why they would either have to exhurt pressure on gold car or drop them all together for their own reputation.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Where to live? A few ideas please. - 22 posts
Taxis - 7 posts
Lawyer's Charges - 8 posts
the wonderful Spanish people - 3 posts
Starting a Business: Spain the World's 3rd Worst - 3 posts
Bicycle rack, GPS, and heater for sale - 3 posts
NIE - 5 posts
NIE - 1 posts
Mortgage with Ground Clause - 4 posts
A tale of woe - 4 posts
CAPITAL GAINS TAX - 5 posts
illegally chained Property in a Communual Area - 6 posts
illegally chained Property in a Communual Area - 0 posts
Selling Costs - 9 posts
CACI Facials / Beauty therapist Los Alcazares area - 1 posts
Swapping to Spanish licence will I retain my motorycle category? - 2 posts
Starting a new business - need some market research - 52 posts
President and Administrators - 9 posts
Do you Spain. No free cancellation fees and no email or replys whatsoever - 5 posts
Spain's Tourism is on the rise this year again thanks to British - 1 posts
sky changes for September - 1 posts
Shaving With Broken Glass - 13 posts
Buying a bed in spain or in the uk - 10 posts
Plan Pive-2 - 4 posts
Bank Guarantees - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x