How do you rate Spanish drivers

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jul 2013 6:49 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Love the picture, elaineG. Looks like it's telling everyone to drive down the middle.

Like 0      
27 Jul 2013 6:49 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Double tap.
This message was last edited by bobaol on 27/07/2013.

Like 0      
27 Jul 2013 6:54 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

As any driving instructor will concede, rules change and re-thinks are constantly applied. The 1960 (UK) Highway Code rules have since been modified in line with common practice - and commonsense. So if I were to apply the 1960 rules today I would not get through my test. BTW. I seem to recall that the Highway Code in parts was advisory, not a legal requirement. Perhaps the same for its Spanish equivalent?

Most of us are well aware that in Spain the driver on the kerbside lane is correct to continue to circle the roundabout. However, when they do so they cause many near accidents when the vehicle nearest the roundabout wishes to continue up the main carriageway.

The fact that this or anything else is in the Spanish or any other Highway Code does not necessarily mean it is sensible practice. I think in time this rule will be modified, as in the UK.

Commonsense, the survival instinct would never allow me to continue around a roundabout if I suspected the truck on the lane nearest the roundabout was likely to cut across my bows. Try telling my corpse that I was at least in the right according to the Highway Code. I recall a driving instructor telling me that if everyone drove according to the Highway Code there would be gridlock. There isn’t because drivers, when commonsense prevails, disobey the advisory rules.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
27 Jul 2013 6:55 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

double clik

This message was last edited by mike_walsh on 27/07/2013.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
27 Jul 2013 6:56 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

Well thank you Bobaol, but its not mine as such but from the "Reglamento de Circulación Y Seguridad Vial" (the ‘highway code’ which must be studied by people taking the Spanish Driving Test) explaining that one should be in the right hand lane, unless overtaking, but I am sure you knew that.

On the inside cover it says,

"THE REGULATIONS of TRAFFIC AND ROAD SAFETY

Official text of the General circulation regulations  on traffic  laws, re circulation of Motor vehicles and
Road safety"

This message was last edited by elaineG on 27/07/2013.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2013 12:47 AM by kernaghan Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

The worst of Spanish driving is the entry and exit of drivers on/off motorways

Like 0      
28 Jul 2013 3:45 PM by steppsgirl Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I have to agree with the general trend of the replies that Spanish drivers are no better or worse than British drivers.
Before retiring to Spain I had for several years been an advanced driver and a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorist.
One of the many mantras drummed into you as a trainee driver was to think of all other drivers as a danger and make allowances for them.
Also imagine a safety bubble around you of at least two car lengths in radius and do not allow anyone into that bubble which of course means keeping a safe distance from the car in front. Should a car be tail gating then increase distance between you and the car in front so as to give more time for yourself to brake gradually rather than suddenly and finding yourself with someone inspecting your exhaust pipe from the inside. Another little trick when tailgating happens is to put your hazard warnings on for 5 or 6 blinks and that invariably has the effect of telling the exhaust pipe inspector that there is a problem ahead and they ease off, this doesn't always work so say to yourself, I don't need my exhaust inspecting, and let them pass, not always possible I know but worth bearing mind.
One last thing regarding highway codes, Rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

This message was last edited by steppsgirl on 28/07/2013.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Courier Service, Torrevieja - 1 posts
La Tomatina - 7 posts
anyone know of very good pool companies in torrevieja area of costa blanca - 1 posts
De registering from the Spanish tax system - 10 posts
phoning turkey from spain - 10 posts
EHIC vs Travel Insurance - 0 posts
Private and public healthcare - 0 posts
About to complete on property should I change the locks? - 5 posts
Has anybody bought our apartment - 1 posts
Looking to buy in Comares - 0 posts
Dog Whisperer - 4 posts
So This Is Why The Spanish Are Lazy - 26 posts
Albox Navy Club - 0 posts
ITV in Spain and changing to Spanish Plates Help Wanted. Please - 20 posts
Spain's Black Economy - 20% GDP - 28 posts
Has anyone tried 'La Vid de Ojeda' in Los Alcazares - 9 posts
House Purchase transfer tax % query - 4 posts
Visa Downloads for visiting Gibraltar - 3 posts
Changes to services provider for premiership football. Al Jazeera (JSC) wins rights. - 0 posts
Top Gear Spain BBC 2 Sunday Night - 4 posts
Wanted Scooter - Mijas Costa area - 1 posts
Personal Tax Rates comparison advice UK and Spain - 3 posts
Polaris Predator 500cc Quad bike for sale - 0 posts
Poll - 0 posts
How long does a court account cheque take to process in Spain - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 47

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x