De registering from the Spanish tax system

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Jul 2013 3:02 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

If I sell my house now, go back to the UK When I set foot on English soil,I am liable for tax, yet because I will have lived over 183 days in Spain I will be  liable for all tax between 01/01/2013-31/12/13.

What do I do about the income tax for 2013-leave an approx amount based on last year's tax and ask the accountant to pay it on my behalf in 2014? /Pay it before I leave?

Can I get a certificate of de registration so that I am liable only for the tax due up to the day I left Spain?

I don't want to have to fill in an assets in 2014 form because I buy a house in UK

I will not have to pay CGT as we are over 65, tax resident and have lived in the house for more than 3 years

I don't want to find, two years down the line, that the taxman has followed me to the UK!

I know there are a lot of tax savvy people who will know the answer, possibly having been in the same situation

Like 0      
19 Jul 2013 5:16 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

If I sell my house now,

An optimist !

Like 0      
19 Jul 2013 5:30 PM by TamaraEssex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

TamaraEssex´s avatar

As I understand it, you are tax-resident for the whole tax year in Spain during which you were partly in Spain, if that makes sense.  I'm currently going through it the other way round, am currently registering as tax-resident, and will be deemed to be tax-resident for the whole of this year.  So, for example, my earnings in the UK this year between Jan & March, which are in the completed UK tax year, still fall into this year's Spanish tax-year.  So although i have already paid tax on those, I still need to declare those earnings in Spain next year, on my tax return for 2013.  There is unlikely to be tax to be paid, but I have to declare it.

Therefore I would extrapolate from that (and I gather I now have to explain, pointlessly in my view, that I am not an accountant, not a gestor, not a lawyer), as a fellow-forum-member trying to help from their own experience, that you cannot de-register on the date you leave, it is a case of you being classed as tax-resident for the whole of this tax-year, so any UK earnings after you go back (or wherever you go to) will have to be declared next year on a Spanish tax return you will still have to do despte being somewhere else.  But of course, the dual-taxation treaty will mean you won't pay tax twice on it.

Hope that helps, it's only an opinion and an example, and good luck selling.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
20 Jul 2013 8:24 AM by competa Star rating in Scotland. 92 posts Send private message

You should be able to deregister at any time by filling in a "baja" form.  I am not an accountant or a gestor but if you fill in the correct form, all should be well.  I wouldn't think you will be able to get a certificate of deregistration. I definitely wouldn't pay it before I leave or ask an accountant to pay it for you.  If he doesn't, you are still liable.  The only way, in my experience, is to fill in the correct form and get it stampled and sign at the Hacienda that you have deregistered. 

Like 0      
20 Jul 2013 8:41 AM by kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

The only way to deregister from the Hacienda is to complete a Modelo 030. If you are lucky you will get a letter confirming this. If you are not lucky they will ask you to provide a certificate of fiscal residence from somewhere else i.e the UK. You can apply for a certificate online from HMRC. Once you have provided that, and they are happy then they will confirm you are no longer fiscally resident. If you still have the property (i.e you haven't sold it) then make sure you pay the non-resident tax on time.

Like 0      
20 Jul 2013 1:30 PM by Pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

Pilgrim´s avatar

As an aside from the tax problem. Just for information, which may already be known, however, it appears it is important to de-register from the Padrón at the Ayuntiamento.

If not, I am told, the IBI is still payable, which I suppose make sense.

pilgrim

Like 0      
20 Jul 2013 1:58 PM by kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

If you still own the property then you are still liable for IBI, but you are correct that if you are non-resident than you should deregister from the padron.

Like 0      
20 Jul 2013 2:26 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

So, if we went to the UK in August and God forbid, either of us died in October, does that mean we have to pay Spanish inheritance tax?

What about the fact that we would be liable  for income tax the minute we set foot in UK;would that be offset against the spanish tax; it would be complicated as the UK tax year is up to the 6 th April. It's an absolute minefield.

How would I pay the income tax in Spain for 2013 if I went home this year? Surely my accountant would have to pay it on my behalf?

If I transferred the money from the house sale to the UK does this mean I would have to fill in another dreaded 720 assets form, in entirety?

How many people just sell up and go withought a thought to all this- a lot, I guess!

Like 0      
20 Jul 2013 3:09 PM by Pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

Pilgrim´s avatar

kathyslad,

I am talking about people that have sold their home in Spain and returned to the UK, without de-registering from their Padrón.

I understand it is important to do so, or unpleasant steps could be taken by the Spanish authorities?

pilgrim

Like 0      
20 Jul 2013 3:37 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Ahh right, I didn't read it that way. Not sure about IBI though as it relates to the property not the individual. The law doesn't specify any penalties for not deregistering, although that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2013 7:45 PM by Daniela Star rating in Duquesa. 167 posts Send private message

Daniela´s avatar
Campo sol,

If you did happen to die before you sold your property in Spain you would be liable to Spanish inheritance tax whether you were fiscally resident in Spain or not. This would be taken account of in your uk estate and the executor of the will would deduct any charges from Spain in the settlement.

Owning properties in 2 countries brings all sorts of headaches that we never think of until after its too late! :(

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

phoning turkey from spain - 10 posts
EHIC vs Travel Insurance - 0 posts
Private and public healthcare - 0 posts
About to complete on property should I change the locks? - 5 posts
Has anybody bought our apartment - 1 posts
Looking to buy in Comares - 0 posts
Dog Whisperer - 4 posts
So This Is Why The Spanish Are Lazy - 26 posts
Albox Navy Club - 0 posts
ITV in Spain and changing to Spanish Plates Help Wanted. Please - 20 posts
Spain's Black Economy - 20% GDP - 28 posts
Has anyone tried 'La Vid de Ojeda' in Los Alcazares - 9 posts
House Purchase transfer tax % query - 4 posts
Visa Downloads for visiting Gibraltar - 3 posts
Changes to services provider for premiership football. Al Jazeera (JSC) wins rights. - 0 posts
Top Gear Spain BBC 2 Sunday Night - 4 posts
Wanted Scooter - Mijas Costa area - 1 posts
Personal Tax Rates comparison advice UK and Spain - 3 posts
Polaris Predator 500cc Quad bike for sale - 0 posts
Poll - 0 posts
How long does a court account cheque take to process in Spain - 8 posts
Invitation to Guinness World Record Attempt, Sun. 21July 2013, Vera Playa, Almeria - 1 posts
malaga airport parking - 1 posts
Hi, can you help please ? - 4 posts
kitchens - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x