Personal Tax Rates comparison advice UK and Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jul 2013 8:28 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Hi

Please could someone post a simple comparison between UK and Spanish tax rates.

We are retiring in a couple of years, have just purchased a property in Spain and will have a UK works pension but no UK state pension for a number of years.

Is the Spanish system similar to the UK whereby there is a % rate applied on your income less any personal allowance?

On our last visit speaking to a fellow Brit he said that, as he had not earned more than 30,000 euros he had his tax paid fully refunded ?

does that sound correct, seems a high figure to me!

Thanks again for your advice and assistance 

Like 0      
15 Jul 2013 9:11 AM by wizzard2 Star rating in Costa Blanca. 32 posts Send private message

In a short sentence 30,000 free of tax,Would be a dream to me you have a personal allowance in Spain which is approx. half of the U,K, one  you get extra allowances for things like mortgage,children and senior members of the family living with you,also if you have certain illnesses,plus a few other things you may be able to get. The lowest rate of tax is then 24.75%,rising Quickly to 30%.On my pensions which total less than 30,000 I pay approx. 1500 Euros more being a resident in Spain than if I lived in the U:K. But I can only get my personal allowance,I am not entitled to any other allowances

Like 0      
15 Jul 2013 9:25 AM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

The personal allowance is €5151 if your under 65, €6069 over 65 and €6273 over 75. In addition to the other allowances mentioned (although the mortgage allowance is being phased out) there is an earned income allowance (including pensions) of a maximum of €4080 for €9180 reducing to a minimum of €2652 over €13260. In addition if you are marked you can combine your incomes and do one return if that's more beneficial, in which case you get an extra €3400. For the last couple of years, ther has been a reduction of €400 for people on low income (about €8000) reducing to zero over about €12000. This was to be abolished last year, but was then retained. The personal allowance in the UK is £9440 under 65, £10500 under 65 and £10660 over 75

This message was last edited by Kathyslad on 15/07/2013.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2013 2:33 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

KERRYB-I think the fellow Brit you spoke to needs to see a qualified tax accountant-he may find he has LOTS of income tax to pay!

People are often given bad advice on tax in Spain, so make sure you find someone who really understands tax and the implications on moving to Spain.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Polaris Predator 500cc Quad bike for sale - 0 posts
Poll - 0 posts
How long does a court account cheque take to process in Spain - 8 posts
Invitation to Guinness World Record Attempt, Sun. 21July 2013, Vera Playa, Almeria - 1 posts
malaga airport parking - 1 posts
Hi, can you help please ? - 4 posts
kitchens - 0 posts
PLUS VALIA TAX advice needed - 10 posts
Retirement Age in Spain - Are they going too far? - 23 posts
Babysitter Available - 0 posts
GARDENS OF MANILVA COUNTRY CLUB - 1 posts
Car from Spain to UK and Return - 8 posts
Civil Guardia-unfair fines - 4 posts
how to delete another wifi network from computer - 5 posts
Energy Proficiency Certificate questions. - 11 posts
What´s On................ - 0 posts
Paro - Please help!! - 1 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL REQUIRED-CAN YOU HELP? - 6 posts
RECOMMENDATION FOR SATELLITE TV INSTALLATION COMPANY CLOSE TO LOS ALCAZARES (MURCIA/COSTA BLANCA SOUTH) - 23 posts
Mobile broadband - 0 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance - 6 posts
Los Alcazares nearest football team - 7 posts
Comedy video - 1 posts
Well Summer is here and Corvera Airport is still not open....... - 3 posts
Is your Spanish really as good as you think? - 29 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x