About to complete on property should I change the locks?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Jul 2013 8:30 AM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Hi All

We are about to complete on our property and have been asked whether we what all the locks changed or simply the keys handed over,

I hadn't given this a thought until now so not sure of costs involved and whether this is normal practice.

I guess it sounds sensible as we will be in UK for most of the year until we retire in a couple of years time

thanks Again for any advice and support

Like 0      
19 Jul 2013 8:33 AM by gaula Star rating in marbella and the u.k. 64 posts Send private message

of course , spanish locks have five keys and I have yet to recieve more than two keys when I bought my houses . It makes sense to change locks and entry codes .

Like 0      
19 Jul 2013 8:39 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Of course you should, it's not expensive at all and you only have to buy the key barrell not the whole lock, which takes nothing to fit.

Imagine the cost of a robbery with no sign of forced entry, try explaining that one to the insurance company. Get an alarm as well, one that phones you up should it be activated.

Just re-read your post, you say you were asked if you want locks changed...Do them yourself...Dont let others do them.

This message was last edited by baz1946 on 19/07/2013.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2013 8:50 AM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

ok thanks I'm convinced

A simple question where would I get replacements locks would it be a brico store?

The house is in Los Alcazares, Murcia

thanks again

Like 0      
19 Jul 2013 9:03 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

19 Jul 2013 08:50

ok thanks I'm convinced

A simple question where would I get replacements locks would it be a brico store?

thanks again

ok thanks I'm convinced

thanks again

Any DIY store will do them, you say again "Replacement locks" you dont need the whole lock unless yours is broke or weak, just the key barrell with new keys, i bought decent one's here in the UK cost about £30.00 each, another very good one was £19.99. I took UK one's out on the assumption that should the worse happen maybe they were different to the Spanish keys.

Also buy the one's that cant be drilled through from the outside.

Measure the lenth of the key barrell before you buy, many are longer or shorter...I found that out out  after i bought mine, still fitted though......The Chino's do them as well....Dont buy them.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2013 12:09 PM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Hi,

when we received our keys my hubby went onto

the nearest ferreteria and just bought a new barrel for

the lock.

he changed it in 5 minutes.

coolyes

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Has anybody bought our apartment - 1 posts
Looking to buy in Comares - 0 posts
Dog Whisperer - 4 posts
So This Is Why The Spanish Are Lazy - 26 posts
Albox Navy Club - 0 posts
ITV in Spain and changing to Spanish Plates Help Wanted. Please - 20 posts
Spain's Black Economy - 20% GDP - 28 posts
Has anyone tried 'La Vid de Ojeda' in Los Alcazares - 9 posts
House Purchase transfer tax % query - 4 posts
Visa Downloads for visiting Gibraltar - 3 posts
Changes to services provider for premiership football. Al Jazeera (JSC) wins rights. - 0 posts
Top Gear Spain BBC 2 Sunday Night - 4 posts
Wanted Scooter - Mijas Costa area - 1 posts
Personal Tax Rates comparison advice UK and Spain - 3 posts
Polaris Predator 500cc Quad bike for sale - 0 posts
Poll - 0 posts
How long does a court account cheque take to process in Spain - 8 posts
Invitation to Guinness World Record Attempt, Sun. 21July 2013, Vera Playa, Almeria - 1 posts
malaga airport parking - 1 posts
Hi, can you help please ? - 4 posts
kitchens - 0 posts
PLUS VALIA TAX advice needed - 10 posts
Retirement Age in Spain - Are they going too far? - 23 posts
Babysitter Available - 0 posts
GARDENS OF MANILVA COUNTRY CLUB - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x