Driving to Spain from the UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by David Courtney Star rating. 34 posts Send private message

Hi folks,

We are moving to Spain to live shortly. Can anybody give us any advice or tips. We are thinking of travelling from Portsmouth to Bilbao by ferry and then driving from Bilbao to Murcia. Does anyone know how many miles that is and is it all motorway travel? We have also thought of shipping our car over by freight. Has anyone any experience of doing this?

Many Thanks

David and Linda

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 5:21 PM by saltay Star rating in Pinoso (Alicante) an.... 41 posts Send private message

saltay´s avatar
Hi David & Linda

I actually did this journey last summer with my daughter. I did all the driving as I was scared of being a passenger with her in a right-hand drive car on the right side of the road! She was only 25 then. We did it in a day and I think we got to the Murcia area about 6pm. I seem to remember it's about 500 miles.

I think it is motorway all the way and I seem to remember that most of it was free! Driving round the new outer ring road of Madrid is really easy and relatively quiet, perhaps because the locals don't want to spend the 3€ on the toll so they take the older road. The only dodgy bit was getting out of Bilbao because it was rush hour.

Normally my partner and I take the Chunnel and drive all the way. It takes nearly three days but maybe we're a bit weird! We've seen some lovely scenery though and visited pl;aces that we would never have seen otherwise.

I would certainly do Portsmouth-Bilbao again but my daughter got sea-sick even though it wasn't rough!

Sally

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 5:51 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi David & Linda

Check out this thread Help with route/car in the Living in & Moving To Spain board. 

It was also discussed in here Direct ferries from Britian to Spain in General Chat.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 6:28 PM by David Courtney Star rating. 34 posts Send private message

Hi Sally and Moresado,

Thanks very much for your help.It is much appreciated and it will help us a lot. By the way we are moving to La Torre Golf Resort near San Javier.

Regards,

David and Linda.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 7:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
"moresado" ? Perhaps morerosado should change names.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 8:15 PM by saltay Star rating in Pinoso (Alicante) an.... 41 posts Send private message

saltay´s avatar
Don't do that Morerosado - never be sad. Mind you, if it'd been my choice of name I'd have been Moretinto...

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 8:15 PM by kenco Star rating in very wet scarborough.... 33 posts Send private message

kenco´s avatar

Hi Morerosado,

excellent idea then we can all spel it corectly,  how about krisanthumum............?

Aunty Em says she will send me to bed if I post this............LOL

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 8:48 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Please don't change your name Morerosada cos I've only just got it right!!!

I wish !!!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 8:52 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

KAREN .... you got it wrong again !!!!!!! LOL

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 9:06 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Auntie Em

We flew into Alicante in February & May - No problems whatsoever.

We had booked car hire & as I don't drive, my sister went to sort out the car while I waited for the case. Very quick & easy.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 9:11 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Oh s**t !! I try soooooooooooooo hard and I fail soooooooooooooooo often !!

Sorry Morerosado      

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 9:13 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

thanks for that Noreen,

we are flying into Alicante for the first time in late December (we usually fly to Murcia) and didnt know what to expect.   We had been told that Alicante is a much busier airport so things take much longer ... mind you we got that info about 6th hand so didnt know how accurate it was!

p.s sorry for the thread drift ... this conversation started in the thread about cheap flights! Dont know how it ended up here ... does anyone know how to move posts?

This message was last edited by AuntieEm on 7/26/2007.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 9:25 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Alicante is a busier airport BUT picking up the car is much quicker.  All cars are on site and it's a toddle across the road to collect it.  Unless you're with Hertz or Avis, there is never much of a queue and there are always lots of people processing the car hire.  Plus there's so much more to choose from at Alicante in the way of shopping etc.  It is, however, a bit of a nightmare in high summer and it resembles a busy UK airport with queues snaking all over the place.  The Brits, of course, are their normal, charming selves when travelling abroad and will help out all they can.  Huh!  Just exactly when did we become a nation of boorish prats when on holiday?  Nylon football shirts in 90 degrees heat and no deodorant using Anglo-Saxon euphemisms with the typical "If Johnny Foreigner can't speak English it's his bloody fault, just shout louder" attitude.  And the beer guts sticking out of builders bum shorts and too short tops really makes my day.  And that's just the women!!!

((Sorry, hard day at work today interviewing for a new GP.  Young snot-nosed kids out of training who think 80 grand a year for a 3 day week with no out of hours is beneath them and asked if we'd pay their liability insurance for them.  .........

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 9:26 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Alicante is a busier airport BUT picking up the car is much quicker.  All cars are on site and it's a toddle across the road to collect it.  Unless you're with Hertz or Avis, there is never much of a queue and there are always lots of people processing the car hire.  Plus there's so much more to choose from at Alicante in the way of shopping etc.  It is, however, a bit of a nightmare in high summer and it resembles a busy UK airport with queues snaking all over the place.  The Brits, of course, are their normal, charming selves when travelling abroad and will help out all they can.  Huh!  Just exactly when did we become a nation of boorish prats when on holiday?  Nylon football shirts in 90 degrees heat and no deodorant using Anglo-Saxon euphemisms with the typical "If Johnny Foreigner can't speak English it's his bloody fault, just shout louder" attitude.  And the beer guts sticking out of builders bum shorts and too short tops really makes my day.  And that's just the women!!!

((Sorry, hard day at work today interviewing for a new GP.  Young snot-nosed kids out of training who think 80 grand a year for a 3 day week with no out of hours is beneath them and asked if we'd pay their liability insurance for them.  .........

Nurse, another bottle please,   this one's empty....

Like 0      
26 Jul 2007 9:42 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

hope you are not wee-ing in that bottle, bob

thanks for the info.  We havent booked the car rental yet for that trip.  Looks like we will be flying from Manchester (our LEAST favourite UK  airport) either with BMIbaby or Monarch  - Monarch are actually a few pounds cheaper when you add in BMIbaby's baggage charge.

Easyjet prices add £20 every hour at the moment, so they have priced themselves out .. although i was a bit wary to go with them anyway.

Just need to sort the car hire next and we are sorted.

(And Bob, if you think young GPs are a problem you ought to try rookie policemen and snooty pathologists ... what a combination and a REAL nightmare!)

Like 0      
27 Jul 2007 12:07 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

This is totally the wrong thread, but never mind......

easyJet pricing works on the basis of the more popular a particular flight, the more the price goes up. Everyone knows that. But, how many people know how they determine the popularity of a particular flight? Ask Justin how this works, but it seems that it's not, as I previously thought, based purely on how many seats have already been booked, but on how many enquiries are made at any given time. I tried booking a flight online yesterday, and had a problem with my card details. The website instructed me to "return to step 4 and try again", which I did, twice, encountering the same problem. On the third attempt, I noticed the price had gone up £20 - in the space of 5 minutes or so! I got p*ssed off to say the least, and had to go outside to cool off with a cold beer. I returned for a final (successful) attempt about 3 hours later, and lo and behold, the price had gone down again!

I haven't tried this yet, but maybe the best time to book is something like 4 in the morning, when nobody is enquiring?!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Jul 2007 7:25 PM by kevh Star rating in Hurchillo. 88 posts Send private message

kevh´s avatar

Hi,

Just looking through threads.

I used a group called Bravo car hire for a car at Murcia and got a very good deal.

I know there are quite a few others, carjet etc....but these might be worth having a look at

Regards

Kevinh

Like 0      
27 Jul 2007 9:13 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

Hi Kev

Do you know if they are at Alicante airport too? 

thanks

Like 0      
27 Jul 2007 10:17 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

28 Jul 2007 12:27 AM by kevh Star rating in Hurchillo. 88 posts Send private message

kevh´s avatar

This message was last edited by kevh on 7/28/2007.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Snagging List Recommendations - 3 posts
Novo Carthago beach and golf resort, Murcia - 4 posts
hi, just joined and need some help - 7 posts
Just Joined to say.. - 24 posts
Euro Exchange - 4 posts
Up Your Street Radio launches! - 8 posts
Hello, I'm new and need information about shipping pets to Spain - 2 posts
naomi - 4 posts
Punta Prima??? or somewhere else? - 4 posts
For Sale Yamaha Cygnus Motorscooter 125cc - 1 posts
Long term rental in Spain - 1 posts
Excellent video for forums - 6 posts
Another Disney Rumour or is it?? - 0 posts
enquiries on Manzana 5 - 0 posts
Over 200 posts - 22 posts
Pedrokav - 2 posts
restaurants in cuidad murcia - 0 posts
How Spanish are you ? - 15 posts
LIVING IN A CARAVAN - 15 posts
Peraleja Property for sale - 1 posts
What is required to rent - 3 posts
Server problems - 2 posts
Could someone outside of the UK check flights for me please? - 7 posts
arenal duquesa - 1 posts
Wanting to know about Costa Calida / South Costa Blanca - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x