Who said, 'My UK bank will never reveal info about my account?'

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Apr 2013 9:05 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

'UK signs tax deal with France, Germany, Italy and Spain'     (From The Telegraph)

'George Osborne has a signed an information exchange agreement with the finance ministers of France, Germany, Italy and Spain in the latest effort to crack down on tax evasion.  Under the agreement, banks in the G5 will be forced to reveal financial details ofC which will then be handed on to the tax domicile to be checked for evasion.

The agreement, which is described as a “pilot” scheme, is based on the America’s Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) which has been used to capture US tax evaders abroad since 2010...'

( "foreign clients "  I would suspect include those who are Tax Resident in other countries ! )

So, who said,  'My UK bank will never reveal info about my account  ? '  

It was a poster on the Thread about declaring assets, who argued that he would not reveal the info required, as his bank would never reveal his info.  Seems he may have been wrong, but he is still in time to declare if he changes his mind:-  Deadline 30 April.

PS  I am still surprised how many people I know who have still not heard of the requirement

Like 0      
11 Apr 2013 9:48 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Johnzx.

This has been around for quite a few years now, the inland revenue has been doing this low and quietly for a lot longer then anyone realises.

I had a chat with my bank manager around the time some years back when it came out that all banks had to report regular cash deposits into the bank over a certain amount, think then it was about £9,500, i asked him if he was going to report me because i payed in cash on a regular basis, his answer was "Why would i report you, i know you"  what he said and how it was said, made me change my banking ways. 

He went on to tell me quite openly just what the inland revenue and UK government of the day was doing and proposed to do, what you mention was on-going then, large bank accounts, small bank accounts, did not matter one jot, unsure about it..report it...let us check it out.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2013 10:36 AM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Combined with this revised wording in the new DTA, there will be no hiding now.

"If information is requested by a Contracting State in accordance with this Article, the other Contracting State shall use its information gathering measures to obtain the requested information, even though that other State may not need such
information for its own tax purposes."

Like 0      
11 Apr 2013 11:22 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

Very simple solution.

Don't keep money in banks. Pull it all out.

It is earning rubbish interest anyway, and in addition is vulnerable to state-sactioned theft.

Spend it. Bury it. Buy a few new mattresses. Whatever it takes.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2013 3:35 PM by fazarelli Star rating. 282 posts Send private message

...invest it in (Spanish) property?

:-)

Like 0      
11 Apr 2013 4:36 PM by Ian_n_Angie Star rating in Buckinghamshire and .... 35 posts Send private message

Better still a money safe in your mattress. 

Like 0      
11 Apr 2013 5:18 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

If you need to move funds from Banks we have an Audi Q7 and R8 which we would be happy to sell. Both are on French plates and have full Audi history.

Hope our Swiz Banks keeps our accounts to themselves.

Rossetti

Like 0      
22 Apr 2013 8:23 PM by Scotty101 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

The banks have for a long time been obliged to provide information to a number of government authorities. In the UK businesses which are covered by the Money Laundering Regulations have a number of responsibilities many of which are formed around due diligence processes. If the relevant government authority seeks information from the business it will be legally obliged to provide information.

The Money Laundering Regulations are born from EU Directives which are in the UK transposed into Statutory Instruments UK law, each nation that the Directive covers have to transpose it into their own law on a given date. EU Directives have an end result in mind however nations must adapt their laws to bring them into force.

Regarding Swiss banks they have already signed a deal with the UK to reveal details of a certain number of individuals to UK authorities each year. 

This message was last edited by Scotty101 on 22/04/2013.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Blue Card - 0 posts
THOUGHTS ON AYAMONTE AND COSTA DEL SOL/MIJAS AREA - 4 posts
nightclubs in los alcazares - 1 posts
HELP TRANSLATING INFORME DE CARGA PLEASE! BUYING LHD CAR IN UK - 2 posts
Extending/enlarging and apartment - 0 posts
Life begins at 40.....Moving to Spain - 5 posts
UK phones in Spain - 2 posts
Regulator for orange gas bottle Quesada/Rojales/formentera - 4 posts
Complaints forms? - 2 posts
Changing address for NIE/Vehicle for notifications. - 0 posts
financial eligibilty for residencia - 11 posts
Car Hire? - 2 posts
The Iron Lady - Did you love her or hate her? - 157 posts
TAX - 8 posts
Corvera, the smart new kid on the block in Spain's empty airports club - 3 posts
can any one help me - 7 posts
bed sizes - 2 posts
Building a horse stable/shelter - 1 posts
INSURANCE EXCLUSIONS - ACTS OF GOD AND THE CONSORCIO - 21 posts
bank lending to communities - 1 posts
Hi I'm new here. - 8 posts
New Government plan to boost jobs & property market - 1 posts
Bringing UK hard-disk recorder - 2 questions - 7 posts
walking dogs - 17 posts
rental agreement need advice??? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x