THOUGHTS ON AYAMONTE AND COSTA DEL SOL/MIJAS AREA

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Apr 2013 12:27 AM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are just back from our first workaway in Ayamonte. Also spent 5 days in Mijas area. We have had some great advice from members but actually being there has clarified a few things.

1. Spanish houses are so cold for a significant portion of the year, even when the sun is shining. When we finally move over I will not consider any house that doesn't have a decent form of heating. I understand that the houses are designed to cope with the heat in the summer but can't understand why houses built in the recent past have no central heating. Why haven't house buyers demanded it?

2. Ayamonte was beautiful but ruled it out because it is a bit out on a limb if you don't speak Spanish.

3. Fell in love with Mijas Pueblo and would seriously consider renting in Mijas Nueva urbanisation. I love the beach so was surprised by how overwhelmed I was by the mountain landscape and views. I am still not keen on the donkey taxis, I hated the way they are tied up for long periods, but they didn't look as though they are cruelly treated. Maybe I am just hoping that is the case. Couldn't bring myself to step foot inside the bullring as I just can't condone it. I realise it is a tourist village but I felt it still had the feel of a working community and I wouldn't feel as though I were living in a tourist toy town.

4. I don't want to insult anyone but I have to be honest about my views of the coastal areas. I didn't like them at all. I have been there many times over the years on holiday but I was looking at it from the perspective of living there. As soon as we got onto the coastal road I felt stressed. The over development is scandalous and I'm sure a lot of people wish they could go back 50 years and start all over again. The beaches are fine but I felt there was something not right, then someone told us that the sand is builders sand that is replaced every year. Not great.

We came to the conclusion that we would live inland and make use of all of the facilities on the coast every now and then. The Costa Del Sol has a lot to offer and I appreciate that to have all of the hospitals, theatres, shopping etc there has to have been development. It's just a shame they couldn't have done it in a more attractive way.

Next adventure is to explore the Costa Blanca/ Murcia region. Checking workaway and house sitting sights constanly as can't wait to get back over to Spain!

Like 0      
12 Jul 2013 7:04 PM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

Eileen, glad you enjoyed your workaway/visit to Spain.

If it is honest feedback you are looking for - here are some thoughts from someone who moved here 13yrs ago.

Yes, it is odd the houses are not heated. But, many have traditional log fires and this soon warms up the stone of the walls and retains the heat. (PS In days gone by the winters were warmer, but with climate change.....) 

Central heating does exist, but is a costly option as we still do not have mains gas. You can buy the very large ones, but it will work out expensive. I am not going to comment why we are 'behind the times.' 

Mijas Donkey Taxis (burros) are inspected annual by the vet and will not get a licence unless they pass the health check. (It was the foreginers who pressurized the council for this after there was some ill treatment.)

Spain has pluses and minuses like any country.  My main bug bear is the red tape. And it is getting worse!

Hope you find somewhere you might want to buy/settle.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2013 10:11 PM by jagudelo Star rating. 23 posts Send private message

I have been to Costa del Sol three times and, after 15 yearsl wouldn't mind another holiday there, as it has a lot to offer. However, I would strongly recommend a visit to Costa Blanca South, where we finally decided to buy two houses 10 years ago. I prefer the beaches in this area, as well as the fact that you have two airports (Murcia and Alicante) at very conveniente distances. My favourote spot around this area is Torre de la Horadada.

This message was last edited by jagudelo on 13/07/2013.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2013 12:48 PM by steve and anita Star rating in in San Cayetano. 324 posts Send private message

steve and anita´s avatar

Hi, we live very near Los Alcazares in Murcia, and have to agree with the comments about the fabulous beaches we have here. Calblanque beach very near to La Manga is a must and of course the choice of two different types of beaches, the Mar Menor, which is very warm and shallow to swim and the Mediteranean Sea beaches. Come and visit North Costa Calida and Costa Blanca, so different from the Costa del sol.

Like 0      
14 Jul 2013 2:53 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

hI,

Thanks for all suggestions and comments. Our next trip will be Costa Blanca/ Murcia area. Pilar de la Horadada area was mentioned to me in a previous thread and my friend loves Puerto Mazzaron so am looking forward to seeing these places for myself. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

nightclubs in los alcazares - 1 posts
HELP TRANSLATING INFORME DE CARGA PLEASE! BUYING LHD CAR IN UK - 2 posts
Extending/enlarging and apartment - 0 posts
Life begins at 40.....Moving to Spain - 5 posts
UK phones in Spain - 2 posts
Regulator for orange gas bottle Quesada/Rojales/formentera - 4 posts
Complaints forms? - 2 posts
Changing address for NIE/Vehicle for notifications. - 0 posts
financial eligibilty for residencia - 11 posts
Car Hire? - 2 posts
The Iron Lady - Did you love her or hate her? - 157 posts
TAX - 8 posts
Corvera, the smart new kid on the block in Spain's empty airports club - 3 posts
can any one help me - 7 posts
bed sizes - 2 posts
Building a horse stable/shelter - 1 posts
INSURANCE EXCLUSIONS - ACTS OF GOD AND THE CONSORCIO - 21 posts
bank lending to communities - 1 posts
Hi I'm new here. - 8 posts
New Government plan to boost jobs & property market - 1 posts
Bringing UK hard-disk recorder - 2 questions - 7 posts
walking dogs - 17 posts
rental agreement need advice??? - 4 posts
Habitation certificate - 106 posts
About to get my account suspended so i will just leave - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x