Buying a computer in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Mar 2013 11:18 AM by boggey79 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Bit of a longshot this one, but does anybody know if I buy a computer in Spain will I be able to change the language  to English when setting up Windows for the first time?

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 11:39 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Yes you can,,i have done several times in the past....the only thing that can be annoying is the Spanish keyboard!

I now buy UK laptops from a supplier here,all set up in English and obviously the keyboard is familiar.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 1:11 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Georgia...boggey...

I think you willl find that it depends on which version of Windows Vista, W7 or W8 is installed. The basic, home and home premium versions cannot be converted to English. Started with Vista when Microsoft decided to make Windows country specific unless you purchased the top and hence most expensive versions.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 2:27 PM by comadreja Star rating in the Sierra de Cadiz. 51 posts Send private message

comadreja´s avatar

Buy one from Amazon UK and it will come with English installed and an English keyboard.  All you need is an adapter plug!

Mine took four days to arrive (shipped from Germany) and even including delivery it was cheaper than buying it in Spain.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 2:35 PM by Ian_n_Angie Star rating in Buckinghamshire and .... 35 posts Send private message

Georgia

Who you use for purchasing laptops please as mine is slowly dying a death.

Cheers

Angie

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 2:45 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

You could also try ordering from http://www.novatech.co.uk/

Been in business for many many years and very well thought of by customers.

(I have nothing to do this company by the way.)

They too can ship to Spain. Note that with Novatech products the price you pay is dependent upon the  version of the OS you select.

fb

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 2:55 PM by Ian_n_Angie Star rating in Buckinghamshire and .... 35 posts Send private message

Thanks fb, I will take a look.

Angie

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 3:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The basic, home and home premium versions cannot be converted to English

I bought a laptop from Wortens.

When I opened it I had to install the Win 7 Home Premium  programme. (it was said by the shop to in Spanish)   but I had the choice of language, so did it in English.

Worten’s had wanted 50 or so euros more for an English version !!!!!.

PS   I always try to buy locally as of one has a problem it is so much easier

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 3:19 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Can say for sure that computers purchased from Mediamarkt and Carrefour definitely have the Spanish version pre-installed!

We went from an English XP machine to Spanish Vista and it was a horrible experience and still is at times!.

Even now three years later I still don't fully understand the full capabilities of Vista.

fb

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 4:58 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Angie,

I get mine from a company called Blue moon solutions.

Based in Algorfa.

I paid 350€ all set up for my last HP with English windows 7 installed....

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 5:12 PM by Ian_n_Angie Star rating in Buckinghamshire and .... 35 posts Send private message

Thanks Georgia, I will look them up. As I think John said its good to try and buy local incase anything goes wrong, and apart from that it's nice to support the local economy.

Angie

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 5:25 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

Hi we know Richard from Blue Moon and Iknow he did have some Laptops at a good price recently you can find his number in the Courier free paper as he does a problem page in there.   We have used him and he is very good.  If you can't find his number then go to www.tibacb.com as I know his number is on there, under members and then computer services

Good Luck

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
27 Mar 2013 8:28 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

There's a very nice family run pc shop in Montasinos I bought a desktop pc windows 8 and it's all in the English and being Welsh I can understand it

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Moving to spain a few questions - 0 posts
MTV free to air on satellite - 0 posts
BBC HD satellite updates - 2 posts
Non EU driving License? - 4 posts
Deposit Returned from Arenal Duquesa - Happy Ending - 5 posts
BEACH BARS/RESTAURANTS - 4 posts
Easyjet Winter Flights - 4 posts
Broken ceramic hob, "help" - 4 posts
Plumbers Merchants - 1 posts
Owning a horse in Andalucia - 3 posts
Driving to Spain from UK. - 9 posts
"Dick van Turpin" raids Cypriot Residents Savings. Is it Legal ? - 16 posts
Problems with vodafone.es web site? - 3 posts
uk home - 0 posts
Book about living in benidorm - 1 posts
Car to Spain - 1 posts
filling in yearly spanish tax forms - 14 posts
Spains deserted Motorways... Prime example of Euro wastage.? - 10 posts
help needed please - 3 posts
Definitive Swimming Pool Size / Lifeguard Regulations Wanted - 11 posts
Do you need a TA1 form to get a Tarjeta Sanitaria - 6 posts
WANTED info left hand drive for right hand drive - 3 posts
Aparthoteles failures - 0 posts
Exchange Spanish car for British - 2 posts
Advice sought regarding the transfer of a vehicle in Spain - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x