SOLICITOR FEES FOR SETTING UP UTILITY ACCOUNTS Etc

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jul 2007 12:00 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

A friend of mine has received the following quotation from his solicitor for setting up contracts with utility suppliers etc. This charge is in addition to the 1% conveyancing costs.
Can these contracts be set up by the buyer or are they considered to be normal costs associated with any purchase?

Our costs for setting up the Utilities are 600,-€ and it will cover the signing of contracts with the supply companies, as well as setting up a direct debit for the payment of the various invoices and fees related to the property through your bank account (electricity, water, Council Tax/rates, refuse/rubbish collection, condominium charges/community fees, etc.).

Mike T

Like 0      
12 Jul 2007 12:39 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi miket  That does seem a bit steep 600  euros for filling out a few bits of paperwork most lawyers do that in the price of purchase fees but some will try it on , yes you can do this very easy most of it with the bank it just depends how much time your friends have but its not a long job to sort out as the bank will do most of it.   Hope this helps Regds  Rosi n

Like 0      
12 Jul 2007 4:14 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Blimey!! 800euros is more than a bit steep, I would think.

Just go along to the bank - there's usually a member of staff who speaks pretty good English and it's all dead simple.

Our estate agent actually did ours for nowt! - I know I keep singing the bloke's praises, but he really was great and that's one of the advantages of using a small local agent against the big boys.

But DO do it yourself - it couldn't be easier.

Steve.

Steve.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2007 7:01 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Echo Steve's comment - do it yourself. There is no charge for "settting up" contracts or standing orders. This is just a case of lawyer's ripping off punters IMHO.  Of course, the utility companies charge a one-off connection fee for new connections, but they're gonna charge you this anyway on your first invoice. Don't pay a lawyer hundreds for nothing. You could pay me instead if you like!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Jul 2007 9:06 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Just goes to show how desperate they are becoming in this market! I was talking to a lawyer today at notary and he reckons some steep regulations are going to be coming in to ensure lawyers behave themselves in veiw of the lack of work they are getting!

They used to set these up as part of the fee - and many lawyers WILL work for 0.75% if you push them. Ours do!!

Other than that have a go yourself and you could use a translator to help, or a gestor who will charge a fraction of that amount! Cheeky so and so's!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
14 Jul 2007 12:51 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hello Everyone,

Many thanks for your input.

Why do so many so called professionals try to rip us all off.

Rixxy, Can you recommned a Marbella based Gestor to use who speaks  English!......................Mike x

Mike T

Like 0      
14 Jul 2007 1:19 PM by ef Star rating in Oxfordshire / Casare.... 150 posts Send private message

This is something I'm about to start looking into myself, our solicitor is Mr Rip-Off, so wanted to do it myself. We have a Premier Solbank account and I think they will do it for you for free, was going to call them on Monday, will post the result.

How long does it take to get the utilites connected from applying to actually having the utililities working?

Thanks

Like 0      
14 Jul 2007 2:43 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Holo MikeT - not sure about a Marbella based one. I have an accountant for the SL and he is good but can be pricey. I also use a Gestor based in Fuengirola. To be honest my parents have used him for years as I have and still do for my other company.

He is english with perfect Spanish, fully qualified and has been practising for many many years

I can PM his details to you if you like or put up on this site but as he is a small business I dont know if he could handle massive volume.

Let me know and see you soon!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
14 Jul 2007 4:56 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Thanks Rixxy,

I'd be pleased to have his details. No doubt I'll need his services in the near future too!

Mike T

Like 0      
14 Jul 2007 5:17 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Hi MikeT - Ive just pm'd them to you. Have fun!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
21 Jul 2007 5:05 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We are currently purchasing a property and the utilities connection is being handled by our solicitor, inclusive of the 1% fee.

Mark

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

looking for long term rental property in costa del sol - 7 posts
HAPPY 3rd BIRTHDAY, EOS! - 43 posts
Calahonda area restaurants - - 5 posts
Your Help please. - 27 posts
Mazarron anyone? - 103 posts
Asturias, N332 Punta Prima, Costa Blanca - 4 posts
Adorable puppies urgently need a home please - 4 posts
El Ejército del Aire - Spanish Equivalent to Red Arrows - 8 posts
DOLORES - New to the forum. - 2 posts
El Pinet update on refunds! - 7 posts
Hacienda Casares - new to site - 5 posts
La Duquesa - 1 posts
Woody - 0 posts
Which Broadband - 3 posts
Phase Two will noty be ready by March - 1 posts
medical support - 2 posts
Looking for long term Rental URGENT!! from 08.08.07 - 9 posts
Algorfa - 82 posts
New features coming.... - 54 posts
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY - 12 posts
just signed up - 7 posts
Out of pocket expenses for President - 11 posts
Marie Castro.....Baby? - 29 posts
Looking to rent 1month and 2 weeks - 5 posts
Has Any One Been To The Capanes del Golf Site Recently - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x