Tarifa - Morocco and then?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Dec 2012 11:20 AM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

Hi

We have been staring at the Moroccan coastline now for the last couple of years while over in Spain and have decided on our holidays next year to take the ferry over from Tarifa. Has anybody suggestions for activities or places to go to or for that matter things to avoid? We are thinking about a three day trip.

Much obliged for every reply

Peter

Like 0      
03 Dec 2012 12:34 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

Hi Peter

We went over on the ferry and stayed in Tarifa for a night last year and although it was interesting we wont be going back. During the day we were constantly harrassed by people wanting to give us a guided tour. We found the town all pretty run down and dirty. Local women do not go out at night. The coffee shops were full of leering men and were not the sort of places we felt comfortable going to. you can buy expensive alcoholic drinks in the hotels but it is not generally available.

The local food is very sweet with fruit and sugar and cinnamon in savoury dishes. There is a handful of foreign tourist restaurants but why would you go there when you have better choice on the Spanish side of the pond every day?

I'm told other parts of Morocco are nice but if your plan is to stay in Tarifa my advice is don't bother.

David

Like 0      
03 Dec 2012 12:39 PM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

Thanks Dave. I'll take it by Tarifa you mean Tangier?

Like 0      
03 Dec 2012 12:46 PM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

Sorry - yes your right Tangiers

David

Like 0      
07 Dec 2012 1:51 PM by sonia el Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

I have been visiting Morocco for over 40 years and seen every town. Tangier (please note no 's') has become very run down, more so since the new international port has moved to the outskirts. There are some beautiful places to see but you need a local guide.  The old town is not even shabby chic, it's just shabby. If you have transport and go outside there are some very modern areas but don't hire a car and it's terribly expensive. Bite the bullet and use an organised guide, sometimes the Petit Taxi drivers will take you around for a few extra Euros.

If only going for a couple of days I would suggest going to Asilah which has been 'touristfied' so isn't so busy as Tangier, which is still a working town. Asilah is frequented by many international artists so is used to tourists and you will be welcomed and not hassled. You can either get a train, taxi or local bus.  The ferry company in Tarifa run organised over night tours which might be an option.

Cafes in Morocco are in the main for men.  Some of the younger people frequent the more modern ones and you can see men and women actually out together but this is not the traditional way of life for most people.

It's only a short stretch of water but it's hundreds of years away.  If you want the santised tourist scene that you get in Spain you need to go to Agadir or  Marrakech.  Unfortunately the North Atlantic coast of Morocco has suffered since the Spanish withdrew over the last 20 or so years. The main investment in the north has been along the Mediterrean coast with modern holiday complexes. Morocco might like to boast about its European links but it is still Africa.

Like 0      
07 Dec 2012 3:14 PM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

Thank you very much Sonia, really appreciated.

I will check out Asilah. My kids are really eager to go, the thrill of visiting the African continent.I have met a couple of people who liked going over but I was always advised against going toTangier. 

Like 0      
07 Dec 2012 3:24 PM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

Just had a quick look on Google maps and looked at some websites including Wiki and it seems like just what we were looking for.

Thanks again

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Golf Courses on the Costa del Sol - 2 posts
Murcia International Airport... new name for Corvera - 4 posts
Turkey "tips" please! - 9 posts
Is property crime one of the motives for moving back home? - 24 posts
buying good quality sofa bed in the santa pola area - 1 posts
Humax Foxsat-HDR - 3 posts
Loss of TV channels - 16 posts
is football becoming more popular or less popular in spain these years? - 5 posts
Property Reforms in Granada - 0 posts
Of Coefficients and expense allocations ~ HELP! - 1 posts
El Tayo, Los Palacios, Formentera del Segura - 3 posts
Beware Valencia-Holiday security deposit scam - 2 posts
Should Estate Agents in Spain be Regulated ??? - 4 posts
Astra 2F - change over from 1N - Initial transponder list - 31 posts
Orange Gas Bottle = Mijas Costa - 3 posts
Recovery of costs - 3 posts
Spanish Title Deeds Insurance - 3 posts
Help? - 2 posts
licences and taxes for growing veg on own land - 0 posts
80% OF ALL JOBS ARE NOT ADVERTISED IN SPAIN - 1 posts
Watching UK TV in Spain - 41 posts
Couching - 0 posts
Cats on Complex - 2 posts
Free Language Exchange Anyone? - 0 posts
Capital Gains tax - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x