buying a new car - costa del sol

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Nov 2012 7:46 PM by beech58 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

HELP PLEASE.

I am looking to buy a new car in the Costa Del Sol region in January when I come over for 9 days.

I have been searching high and low to find an English speaking car salesperson, ideally I am looking to purchasing a Seat, Ford or Kia car. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Also what EXTRAS will I have to pay? Will I be able to buy one all done and dusted in the nine days I am in Spain?

Any comments,signposting, anything will be of help as I don't speak any Spanish whatsoever.

I do have an NEI number, Spanish Bank account etc. as I have a property near Estepona.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2012 8:23 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I would suggest you make a Google search for the area you are interested in, and email or call the main agents.  I am pretty sure they will be able to assist you in English.

Like 0      
19 Nov 2012 8:45 AM by davmunster Star rating in Carvajal\Belfast. 843 posts Send private message

davmunster´s avatar

I've been round just about every dealer in Fuengirola and they ALL had English speaking sales people. I expect it is much the same in Estopona so no worries there.

I bought a car that had to be ordered but even after it arrived with the dealer it took over a week before it was ready to drive away so even if you find a vehicle in stock that you like your 9 day window sounds tight

Be warned though. Cars are expensive in Spain  - you don't get much for 12,000€.

David

Like 0      
19 Nov 2012 2:28 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Beech

there are  several main dealerships on the road into Marballe from Calahonda direction.  If you go to google earth and use the cam you will see who is where and their names.   

The road is :-   C/ Juan de la Cierva

This message was last edited by johnzx on 19/11/2012.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2012 6:30 AM by beech58 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I have done lots of googling however I am stumped as to which/what dealerships are out there. I don't want to spend 2 or 3 days trawling around if anyone knows of specific dealerships who speak English it could save me time, which I don't have much of.

Also has anyone bought a new car recently ? What documents did they need, how did they pay for the car (cash, credit card?)

Anymore help would be really useful and thank you everyone who has replied to my thread so far

Like 0      
20 Nov 2012 7:37 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Beech 

If you follow my advice about using Google Earth Street5 View, you can see all the dealerships, may up to ten, as they are practically next door to each other along C/ Juan de la Cierva.  I saw Mercedes, Renault and Peugeot in just the quick glance I made when I checked it out for you.

If you call the dealership for the makes you are most interested in, then I am sure they will be able to answer all your questions factually, rather than us giving you our experiences.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2012 8:09 AM by beech58 Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thank you Beech for your help,  I will give it a go

Like 0      
20 Nov 2012 9:13 AM by Geoff y Pat Star rating in Torre Guil / Sutton .... 90 posts Send private message

Hi beech58, I think all the regions are slightly different in what paperwork they will need.  Here in Murcia when I bought our first new car the salesman said we had to be registered on the padron, so after leaving the car showroom we went with our passports, NIE's and I think our escritura and registered in the city.  And as I had already left a deposit on the car, I asked the nice lady to fax the relevant document to the Fiat dealership which she did,  We had to go to the bank with the dealership's bank details and get them to transfer the money to Fiat.  I think you will be pushed to do all this in 9 days assuming in your area they need the same documents.  When we exchanged our car for a second new car from the same place it still took around ten days to get it ready (it was in stock) and tax it and wait till they had received the money. e.t.c.

What we did on our first car was to pick it in the November (again in stock) and fianalize all the paperwork and then we collected it early in the January.

Anyway good luck

Geoff

This message was last edited by Geoff y Pat on 20/11/2012.

Like 0      
20 Nov 2012 9:28 AM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

We bought a new Kia this January in Cartagena. It took just under a week. We expressly said we were not on the Padron as non-residents and gave copies of NIE, Escritura and water bill. We picked up the car with temporary papers and the final document arrived some weeks later. If you register on the Padron as non-resident you can run the risk of being deemed resident for tax purposes. The dealer also was able to provide the handbook in English.

Interestingly the new car was 2000 Euros cheaper than the UK, as we have since bought the same car in the UK.

Finally a new law came into force yesterday that there should be no cash payments between private individuals and companies for more than 2500 Euros and you will need via cheque/draft or bank transfer and not cash. You will need to factor this into the equation.

I attach a useful site for finding dealers/prices/deals.

Juan

http://www.coches.net/nuevos/

Like 0      
20 Nov 2012 9:36 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Juan, 

I think you are confusing the Pardon with the EU Citizen registration.   Once you have registered on the latter,,  the Hacienda say you are Tax Resident in Spain, regardless of the 183 rule etc.

(I have spoken the Hacienda and confirmed that)

Like 0      
20 Nov 2012 9:41 AM by juansheetisplenty Star rating in Cartagena. 283 posts Send private message

juansheetisplenty´s avatar

John, I know you are correct, but for the avoidance of any doubt on tax status I think it is better to stay off the padron as a non-resident. And as I know you know the padron is not a requirement to register a car.

Saludos

Juan

Like 0      
20 Nov 2012 9:54 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

There is no connection, nor exchange of information,  between the Hacienda and the Town Halls (that is what I understand and in 25 years there has been nothing to cause me to change that view)

My son, non resident , has been on the padron for 15 years. In our municipality that gives him a 30% discount on his IBI bills and on all other  town hall  taxes.  That will also apply to Plusvalir when he sells his property.

It is very important that one registers as he number of people registered on the padron governs the amount of money which the municipality gets from Region Government, to provide local services, including , teachers, police, fire brigades etc.  If you do not register you are depriving your area  of important funding.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 20/11/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

WANTED Spain Registerd LHD Car, Estate preferably may consider SWAP - 1 posts
We could be getting some more ex coppers on the Costas - 1 posts
SELLING SPANISH CAR IN ENGLAND - 5 posts
Peugeot 206 Bonnet Needed - 0 posts
Water Heater, Electric 50 litre For Sale - 0 posts
Final hearing decision - 0 posts
Moving to Javea and need mobile phone and broadband - 3 posts
Lawyer WAS neglegent !?!? - 6 posts
UK TV satellite changes due shortly - Astra 1N to be replaced by 2F - 2 posts
Sandie. - 0 posts
Traffic Police forced to hand out more fines! - 61 posts
Second Hand Golf Clubs MacGragor with Graphite Shaft for Sale - 0 posts
telefonica contact/ adsl help? - 9 posts
Torrevieja Tapa Trail - 2 posts
Running a 3 bedroom House with Pool as a Non Resident of Spain - 1 posts
Paying taxes, or not ! - 16 posts
Social Seguridad - register or not? - 18 posts
HEALTHCARE - 3 posts
Mail delivery on CDA - 1 posts
Television Technology - help required for our Facebook page, TV advice in Spain - 0 posts
running clubs - 1 posts
Saying Hi - 3 posts
Used Golf Clubs for Sale - 0 posts
Updates to UK TV satellite changes - Astra 2F - 1 posts
House swap Mijas Golf apartment for Somerset cottage - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x