NIE EX15 or Certificate of Residency EX18 ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Aug 2012 12:58 PM by geoffhh Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

My wife and I are visiting the Costa del Sol (Fuengirola area) for 5 months from October with a view to purchasing a property for use during the winter.  We understood that we need to apply for NIE numbers but when investigating this have now discovered that this has been replaced by the Certificate of Residency EX18 - a little confusing.  On our last visit in May of this year we opened a bank account and Non Residents Certificates were organised by the bank - does this count for anything?

Can someone please confirm which document we should be completing and submitting to the Spanish authorities?

Also can anyone advise on the type of evidence required to prove that we will not be dependent on the Spanish Health System as this now seems to be required (July 2012)?  Is  a British National Health card or European Heeath Insurance Card (EHIC) sufficient? Or indeed a Certificate of Travel Insurance which covers us for 62 days each trip?

Would appreciate some advice on these issues.

Thanks Geoff

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 1:42 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If a person spends, or intends to spend, a total of 90 days permanently in Spain they are required to register on the EU Citizens Register (at a National Police Documentation Office).   Once registered they are tax resident in Spain.

If one spends a total 183 days or more in any year in Spain, they are tax resident.

In your position I guess you would prefer not to be tax resident, so either don’t stay for 90 day PERMANENTLY (leave for a day or so after 89 days) or ignore the regulation. That would be illegal but as the situation of becoming tax resident applies it may be the lesser of two evils for you.

When you go the police station tell them you require an NIE as you are buying a property / intend opening a bank account etc.-. Do not say you intend staying 90 day .

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 6:44 PM by Rob in Madrid Star rating in Madrid. 274 posts Send private message

Rob in Madrid´s avatar

EU Citizens Register,

Is that the same as a NIE?

Decided after all I don't like Spanish TV, that is having compared both.

Like 0      
31 Aug 2012 6:49 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

NO is the simple answer. (I thought I had explained that in my last post)

However, if you have an NIE  (número de identidad de extranjero, foreigners  fical ID number)  and then register you keep the same number.

If you do not have an NIE when you register,  then you get a number which is also your NIE

This message was last edited by johnzx on 28/05/2014.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Satellite dishes the law ? - 15 posts
Murcia? - 13 posts
fire raging at the moment - 15 posts
PRIVATE OWNED SPANISH CARS FOR SALE - 12 posts
University student moving to Spain - 1 posts
Looking for large property to rent and moving from Uk to Spain help :) - 2 posts
car hire - 0 posts
Just moved to Spain - How to register - 8 posts
Linking Paypal to spanish bank account - anyone done this? - 17 posts
Aifos - 0 posts
Paralympic streams - for updating satellite receivers. UK TV Costa Blanca - 0 posts
CAR FOR SALE - 0 posts
Centauro Full/ Full from Murcia - 2 posts
Back-dated Endesa rate. - 21 posts
Security systems - 7 posts
Long-term rental required - 26 posts
Deregister Residencia and Healthcare in order to return to UK - 9 posts
Charges for not taking their Insurance - 10 posts
PETITION: To restore responsible buying and selling of property in Spain - 31 posts
Royal Air Forces Association - 0 posts
no touristy information on Murcia - 3 posts
Need ifo on schools - 0 posts
Warning re Insurance Broker - Costa del Sol - 0 posts
Looking for apartment - 2 posts
Modifying a Car in Spain , some clarification from experts required - 64 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x