Latest mortgage rates?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jun 2012 6:21 PM by leelussier Star rating in Canada. 4 posts Send private message

Buying my first Spanish propert, for better or worse. Can anyone direct me to the latest offerings by banks? I find it very difficult to find a bank which publically offers their rates as in Canada. I am hoping for 3% fixed or 1.5 above Euribor; is this realistic?

Like 0      
30 Jun 2012 7:05 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Annoying, isn't it?  Unlike other countries who tell you the rate in their adverts, the Spanish banks don't seem to want to advertise theirs.  However, mine is currently 2.5% and is variable so that's about 1.6% over the euribor rate.  

Like 0      
30 Jun 2012 7:16 PM by leelussier Star rating in Canada. 4 posts Send private message

>bobaol: So, my expectations are not unreasonable. Thank you for your timely response.

If anyone can provide a mortgage rate reference website, I'm sure it would be very popular.

Like 0      
01 Jul 2012 6:18 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - I don't think you will ever see a mortgage rate reference website here, as they seem to just make it up as they go along! 

A colllegue was buying a house with a 100% mortgage plus costs (a repossession of course) - then the bank said they were not paying the costs, then they said (after stalling for about a month) that they would only give him 80%.

If they can't even decide what terms they are offering, I don't think you will get them to promise any particular rate.

They can also be very reluctant to lend at all if it is not their own property.  Then they have a maximum loan to value, then a minimum amout they will lend, etc, etc, etc.

We always advise people to go to a mortgage broker, as they tend to know all the banks and can negotiate with them to find you a good rate.  I can give you a name for the Costa Blanca if you are buying in that area.  Just send me a PM.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2012 8:08 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Lee currently there is no such thing as a mortgage rate reference website. Following on from Claires comment they change terms and conditions as frequently as they change their underwear ...... simultaneously not publicising what the changes are.

However to try and give you some insight - generally most lenders follow Annual Euribor on the day of purchase completion (realistically this would be the rate published on the first of the month) plus whatever margin above that the bank charges. What this means is that you effectively have a one year rolling fixed rate. The rate is fixed for 12 months and just prior to the anniversary of completion it is set for another 12 months and so forth for the life of the mortgage.

Fixed rates are generally unpopular with the Spanish. Owing to banking restrictions on arbitrage they are not permitted to hedge the risk. Thus they will consider long term money markets and the overall risk of what rates might do. Then they "stick their finger in the air" to see which way the wind is blowing and will offer a rate between 2 and 3% (in personal experience) above the standard Euribor plus calculation. They are only ever considered by special request and dont have a published portfolio as rarely do people take them.

Many lenders will insist that you take out their life insurance - some of them on a single premium basis (i.e. a policy costing several thousand Euros which will provide life cover for the term of the loan so be careful of this - for many lenders it is a deal breaker despite the fact it is actually illegal to insist you take their in-house life cover - however they are permitted to decline you the mortgage if you dont want their life cover.......you work it out!). There are some that will permit you to cancel the life cover after the first 12 months but this will incur an increase in the margin above Euribor.

Currently the market is running between 1.8% and 3.5% ABOVE 12 month Euribor subject to loan to value, terms etc. Be careful of lenders offering the old method of interest charging - for the life of me I cant remember what it is called (Alzheimers is setting in )  at the moment and most lenders have abandoned it, but it would probably be polite to call it abusive and many years ago I asked a bank that applied it to explain to me how it was calculated to agree to their published rate of (at the time) 4.5% and the physical interest (in money) that was charged on a ten year illustration was closer to 7% p.a.

You can view up to date Euribor settings at   http://www.euribor-rates.eu/ or at the ECB's own page or the Bank of Spains page but the link provided is an easy site to navigate.

Hope that helps.......albeit maybe only a little.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
07 Jul 2012 6:55 AM by leelussier Star rating in Canada. 4 posts Send private message

Smiley: very good info to go on, especially the mortgage insurance; I'll be looking into alternatives.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

buying online - 3 posts
This photo says it all - 4 posts
7th Heaven - 2 posts
Maria de Castro (costaluz lawyers) wins my case against el patio - 3 posts
Soft Tub Wanted - 1 posts
La Cala de Mijas Nr Malaga - bilingual school? - 0 posts
HELP - 2 posts
Car hire - 0 posts
Satellite Phone advise wanted - 1 posts
Scrapyard - 3 posts
Caravan wanted: Does anyone know of one in the Costa del Sol area? - 3 posts
Spain or Italy? Come on "La Roja"! - 26 posts
Hyundai ACCENT 1.3 for sale,needs attn,good runner,aircon,etc - 0 posts
Passport size photos - 6 posts
jobs needed in & around marbella in october - 0 posts
how to get rid of wasp's nests - 9 posts
Sky and Spanish TV- Football - 1 posts
1/2 - 1/2 isn't all it's cracked up to be!! - 2 posts
Cost of Living and Teaching in Spain. - 16 posts
Selling a car - 2 posts
Legal tip 796. What to do with my illegal house? - 2 posts
- 0 posts
What's happened to cheap flights - 32 posts
billy - 1 posts
driving licence - 32 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x