Satellite Phone advise wanted

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jun 2012 3:51 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

We have now completed the refit on our boat after it's year long journey from Spain to Australia, sold our house in Oz and banked the money. We are looking to make a few VAT free purchases whilst in the UK between watching the Tennis Cricket and Olympics and am trying various forums to tape into the collective wisdom of the members.

We have Inmarsat Fleet broadbandFB150 fitted to the boat which gives us phone and broadband, we are looking for an alternative portable phone in case the main unit is unavailable or out of reach. The device I'm looking at is the Thuraya Satellite Phone 2520 at a very reasonable 833 GB pounds.

Does anyone have experience of this device or could recommend an alternative? it's portable like a large mobile phone and uses GSM as well as the satellite service.

We will be sailing East so the area we wish to cover is the Pacific and West Coast Americas.

David

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 6:55 AM by Chilli01 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi, just some advise....don't rent, satellite phones are really not that expensive, especially if you get an older model Kyocera SS-66K. I have one that I'm selling at the moment, I've used it when I was traveling, I'm going to liquidate it for some cash for some other stuff and buy another one some other time before I travel, which is the best way of doing it if you need a sat phone that way you get it MUCH MUCH cheaper than rip of rentals.

Iridium is the only satellite network when is truely 100% global - anywhere on the planet earth. I'm selling the phone for just 475 euros, you can get small, medium or large pre paid cards for airtime credit, I can help advise you on the cheapest supplier too which I found and I can arrange it for you too.
I will send it anywhere, just pm me for a shipping quote shouldn't be too much.
I'm based in Ireland, I've used it in egypt and thailand so far and its been perfect for what I needed it for.

If you look at Thuraya coverage map you will see that it will not cover the Pacific (not fully) or the west coast Americas. I'd say Iridium or Inmarsat would be your only options, and you already have fleet broadband so Iridium would be good to fill in the gaps, I don't know of any Gsm/Iridium combo. I'm going to pm you the pictures of the phone.

Paul

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Scrapyard - 3 posts
Caravan wanted: Does anyone know of one in the Costa del Sol area? - 3 posts
Spain or Italy? Come on "La Roja"! - 26 posts
Hyundai ACCENT 1.3 for sale,needs attn,good runner,aircon,etc - 0 posts
Passport size photos - 6 posts
jobs needed in & around marbella in october - 0 posts
how to get rid of wasp's nests - 9 posts
Sky and Spanish TV- Football - 1 posts
1/2 - 1/2 isn't all it's cracked up to be!! - 2 posts
Cost of Living and Teaching in Spain. - 16 posts
Selling a car - 2 posts
Legal tip 796. What to do with my illegal house? - 2 posts
- 0 posts
What's happened to cheap flights - 32 posts
billy - 1 posts
driving licence - 32 posts
Buying New Car - Finance - 3 posts
Alternative phone number for Endesa's 902508850 - 3 posts
bit of fun - 0 posts
Wanted - Air Con unit - Algorfa (willing to travel) - 2 posts
For sale - single Wooden Headboard - Algorfa - 0 posts
For sale - Freesat box - Algorfa - 9 posts
Confused Help required FISCAL - 6 posts
“Don’t let a lost passport ruin your holiday!” - 1 posts
Any recent news... - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x