driving licence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jun 2012 7:01 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

We heard something on the Sunshine radio today that will be of
interest to all Ex-Pats. Simon Morton and Graham Knight were warning
people that the police are on the look-out for anyone who has been
resident in Spain for 2 years and has not changed to a Spanish licence
will be fined on the spot!! They are targeting Iceland supermarkets
and the roads from the airports and have reported 500€ fines and in
one case over 1000€ fine ON THE SPOT.

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
27 Jun 2012 7:11 PM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

The British Embassy in Madrid give the following guidance on UK
Driving Licences in Spain:

UK driving licences issued from 1990 and the photocard licence issued
from 1997 are accepted in Spain. Licences issued before 1990 are only
accepted if accompanied by an official translation into Spanish
(available from the Spanish Embassy in London and the Real Automóvil
Club de España if the licence holder is already in Spain). UK
Provisional Licences are not valid for use in Spain.

It is not obligatory to register your British driving licence with the
Spanish authorities but it is recommended, since if it is lost or
stolen it is quicker to get a replacement Spanish licence

Once the UK licence runs out or if it is lost or stolen, the new
licence must be Spanish if you are resident in Spain
If members need more details or information they can refer to:
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/cars/

Mo&Bryan www.bryansblinds.com &  www.discovercostacalida.info Why not see if can we help  

Like 0      
09 Jul 2012 5:40 PM by robin984 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

can they check UK driving licence statuses in Spain??i.e temporary bans etc if drivers still in possession of the licence??

Like 0      
09 Jul 2012 6:23 PM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

The answer to Robin is a big fat YES they can check. Spain and U.K. speak to eachother

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 8:07 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Yes they can check ,BUT it is not illegal, at present, to drive in another EU country whilst banned in your own !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 8:33 AM by robin984 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

thanks guslopez and steone!!! :)

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 9:10 AM by mobailey Star rating in San Cayetano. 461 posts Send private message

mobailey´s avatar

If you are banned from driving in the UK you can not drive in Spain as you need a valid driving licence in Spain as well, and if you are stopped by the police and can not produce a valid licence you will be fined or more.

This message was last edited by mobailey on 10/07/2012.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 9:11 AM by robin984 Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

i dont drive, im just curious as to how much information etc is shared between the 2 countries thats all :)

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 9:15 AM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Link please, mobailey?

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 12:39 PM by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

If you are banned in the UK, do they actually take your physical licence away from you?  If so then you definitely shouldn't be driving in Spain as if you get stopped you'll be in big trouble.

It's important to state that you do not need to change a UK licence for a Spanish one even if you are resident.  The only point at which you need to legally do this is when your UK photocard licence expires, at that point you should change it for a Spanish one, although I know many expats prefer to use a UK address to register it again in the UK (which you shouldn't do). Otherwise you can drive around with your UK licence even if you are resident, as long as it's still valid.

Justin

EOS Team

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 1:06 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

what about the medical that the spanish have to take? the insurance, is it valid if you have not taken the medical?

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 1:31 PM by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

My understanding is that you only have to do the mideical  if your photocard licence has actually expired.  If it's hasn't then you don't need to do the medical..but I can't remember where I read that.  I had to do the medical for sure as my licence had expired.

Justin

EOS Team

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 1:45 PM by D_B_S Star rating. 178 posts Send private message

Justin,

just for info - if banned in UK they do take the licence away and at the end of the ban you have to apply for it back.

How do I know; heavy right foot on the M40 caught for doing 115mph - 1 month ban and a big fine. Lucky I saw the car following and slowed down!

David

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 1:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Haydndj

No matter what DL you have, if you are resident, then you must have a medical  cert to accompany it, and renew it as you would as if you had a Spanish DL appropriate to your age.   If one drives without a valid medical cert your  neither your driving  licence nor your insurance is valid.

If you are disqualified then your insurance would not be valid.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 1:59 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

My understanding is that you only have to do the mideical  if your photocard licence has actually expired.  If it's hasn't then you don't need to do the medical..but I can't remember where I read that.  I had to do the medical for sure as my licence had expired.

Hi Justin.  This is my understanding as well based on speaking to guardia civil and also my Spanish brother in law, who is a driving instructor.  I've been told that a medical is only needed for renewing a licence.  The DGT website also makes no reference to needing a medical if you have a foreign licence.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 2:08 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

The only point at which you need to legally do this is when your UK photocard licence expires, at that point you should change it for a Spanish one, although I know many expats prefer to use a UK address to register it again in the UK (which you shouldn't do)

My UK licence recently ran out.  I knew that if I renewed in Spain, I would have a 1.5 hour drive to Malaga and back and would have to take a day off work.  I would also probably find out  on arrival at traffico that I had the wrong documentation which happens every time you try to do anything with Spanish bureaucracy.

So I ended up renewing it in the UK.  I rang the DVLA before hand and explained my situation and I was told I could renew it no problem.  I posted off the forms with a cheque for 20 quid and a week later my new licence arrived.

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 2:16 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sanchez,

interesting as I believe on the application form one must sign to say they LIVE  in the UK.   Not that they have an accommodation address there.   If that is so, then to put something false on the application amounts to a criminal offence (Criminal Deception springs to mind).

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 2:20 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

As I said, I explained my situation (I was planning to move back to the UK) to the DVLA and they were fine about it.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 2:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sanchez,

I  hope you have that approval in writing, otherwise you could be on very thin ice.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 2:42 PM by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

Most people I know renewed in the UK.  I tried it myself as wasn't sure if getting the Spanish one was going to be a nightmare (it wasn't) but gave up in the end when they wanted some proof of living in the Uk.  This was when trying to do it online.

Justin

EOS Team

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying New Car - Finance - 3 posts
Alternative phone number for Endesa's 902508850 - 3 posts
bit of fun - 0 posts
Wanted - Air Con unit - Algorfa (willing to travel) - 2 posts
For sale - single Wooden Headboard - Algorfa - 0 posts
For sale - Freesat box - Algorfa - 9 posts
Confused Help required FISCAL - 6 posts
“Don’t let a lost passport ruin your holiday!” - 1 posts
Any recent news... - 11 posts
Batxillerat Questionnaire - 12 posts
Where can I buy Jarapas rugs in southern Spain? - 6 posts
GENERAL ADVERTISING BY COMPANIES ON THESE INDIVIDUAL FORUMS AND THE BLOG SITE - 4 posts
Anyone using Hits mobile - 13 posts
Prescriptions charges - 59 posts
empty large van ret to uk - 0 posts
large van returning to uk empty - 0 posts
Brits begin to reclaim £400m in overpaid IHT from Spain - 0 posts
Van Man Rod - Warning - 0 posts
air con - 3 posts
Sales Staff Job - 0 posts
"Cars for Sale" section... - 2 posts
Is there such a thing as a trade policy in Spain? - 0 posts
Planning permission required to extend roof terrace? - 3 posts
Alterations prior to LFO - 1 posts
advantage rent a car spain murcia airport - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 33

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x