Water problems (hard deposits) HELP NEEDED

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Aug 2009 10:02 PM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

Unfortunately, the company we bought the North Star unit from closed down and the premises are now an Indian restaurant!!

However, a search on the web should find a supplier OK

Good luck.

pilgrim

Like 0      
05 Aug 2009 12:08 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Ah yes, well a hot phal curry should work the same way.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2010 8:41 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

I had a new boiler fitted about two years ago, it went and the element was thick with scaley deposit, it was rock hard.

I was told that I would benefit from a anti calcium system fitted to the pipes(main water inlet) unfortunable like all new properties built in spain the water pipes are behind the tiled wall. I was told that the cost of fitting it was 650 euros, I declined as I thought this too expensive,espcially when you can by a scale watcher for about fifty pounds in the uk. Surely it wouldnt therefore cost another 600 euros to get to the pipes.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2010 8:54 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

smiffy...

Is there not a pipe-break where the boiler is connected?

Water softener kits are availble from most decent ferretarias or places like AKI or Brico.

Intercept the pipe where it is connected to the boiler and fit the filter kit in line using flexy hoses...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
16 Jun 2010 9:42 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

I dont know what a pipe break is? there are two flexi metal hoses fitted to two pipes coming out the wall below the boiler,I was told by the man who came to look at it that the inlet pipe was nearer the floor.there is another tap near the floor and the main inlet pipe is behind that in the tiled wall

Like 0      
17 Jun 2010 7:03 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

You can buy Salfumante ( agua fuerte ) which is dilute hydrochloric acid @ 95c for 5 litres in mercadona or any ferreteria. pour some of this down , not much say 1/2 litre & leave for an hour . It will come up gleaming !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2010 9:48 AM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

pour it where, The Boiler is sealed I want a system that goes through the whole water system

Like 0      
17 Jun 2010 10:23 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Smiffy, think we (you & I ... & MANY others) have no way of doing what we do in the UK (we have a ScaleWatcher on our rising main there to protect the WHOLE system) as the pipes aren't accessible in our Spanish homes, as you have said. Foxbat was suggesting as you cannot protect the whole system at least you should be able to protect the boiler. We have accessible flexi-pipes entering the boiler.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2010 11:56 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

More: Smiffy...

Sorry...Lost the plot!

Yes thats exactly what I was suggesting!

Pipebreak...my laymans definition of any point where the pipe work changes from one type to another via an accessible union. eg where it changes from fixed to flexi. Can't think of any good reason why you shouldnt install a water conditioner in the inlet line to your boiler at this point.

Just a thought...You could also try one of the electronic ones with the coil wrapped around the inlet flexi-pipe.

fb

Like 0      
17 Jun 2010 12:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

FB, I'm following 'the plot', I fully understand what you are saying. Hubby & I also have been through all ideas ourselves.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2010 12:16 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Gus;

quote...You can buy Salfumante ( agua fuerte ) which is dilute hydrochloric acid @ 95c for 5 litres in mercadona or any ferreteria. pour some of this down , not much say 1/2 litre & leave for an hour . It will come up gleaming !...unquote

Agua Fuerte in this context is drain cleaner....and shouldn't be used anywhere other than drains, certainly not for water conditioning...

More; think Smiffy discovered the best answer to his problems back in this thread on 4th April 2008!

fb

Like 0      
17 Jun 2010 12:35 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

FB, a LOT can happen in TWO YEARS though!  Like your boiler giving up on life for one!

Our boiler is now over 5 yrs old, neighbours bought at same time, theirs only lasted 3 with much less use, wonder if lack of usage makes a difference?

I've got recommendations of where to buy a new one locally & who will fit it without breaking the bank, not too much we can do other than be prepared for boiler failure.  Bound to occur in mid winter, can cope better in summer.

For my area seems Garcia is well priced plus they only charge 35€ to replace & remove kna**ered old one & general advice on other forum I check out has plumbers posting who commented they wouldn't do it for 354.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2010 1:09 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

More...quote...'FB, a LOT can happen in TWO YEARS though!  Like your boiler giving up on life for one!

Yep...Our first boiler lasted two years; The replacement is the same as the original a thermostatically controlled 1500W 80 litre vertically mounted unit, purchased from Bricodepot. We have no water conditioning system so it just got totally scaled up inside. I'm expecting to have to replace the 'new' one again sometime in the next year or so if the life of the item is the same as the first.

With the help of a friend from the village, I did the replacement myself.

Ours is switched on 24 / 7 / 365 and the thermostat is set quite high, the idea being that we use less and the required temperature adjustment is via mixer taps on the sinks and the bath / shower. Since its just the two of us we know just where to set the mixer taps for comfortable use.

We have found this to be the most economical way of heating the water rather than having the boiler on a timer and using a lower thermostat setting.

Incidentally, for washing machines and dishwashers out here one should always use Calgon. Washing machines purchased here are all cold fill only and so the heater element does take a bashing from the hard water.

Dishwashers use incredibly hot water and even though the majority are hot / cold fill again the heater element takes a lot of punishment.

fb

Like 0      
17 Jun 2010 1:25 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

Thank you all for your suggestions I shall take on board all you have said.

My replacement boiler only cost 180e  to replace which included fitting so I dont think that was too bad.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2010 5:28 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I always check what I post but missed this

For my area seems Garcia is well priced plus they only charge 35€ to replace & remove kna**ered old one & general advice on other forum I check out has plumbers posting who commented they wouldn't do it for 354. I didn't keep my finger on the right key long enough, it WAS meant to be 35, of course!

Only two of us here. We have the boiler on the highest setting but for only 1 hr daily 7 -8am, this gives us two showers in this weather plus one washing up daily. We haven't a dishwasher, we do it by hand.

Smiffy, where & when did you buy your replacement boiler from & what size is it please, 80L or 100L?

Like 0      
17 Jun 2010 7:38 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

It is 80ltrs bought from Garo Distributions Torrevieja fitted by a spanish man whos details were given to me by the sales office on the Urbanisation 27/4/2010

Like 0      
27 Jun 2010 11:02 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

You can protect the entire water system, and it doesn't have to cost the earth.

Have a look at my post in Limescale Problems thread.

The system I used is inexpensive and protects the Water Boiler, Washing Machine, Dishwasher and gives us drinking water from the kitchen.

I will take some pictures later and will post them so you can see how we got it done, and how it works.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
27 Jun 2010 6:09 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

TechNoApe

Look forward to seeing your photographs.

Jojan

Like 0      
26 Aug 2010 7:59 PM by smiffyinspain Star rating. 61 posts Send private message

I bought a scale wizard from the uk it only cost 49 pound.Knocked a tile out of the wall and got to the inlet pipe cleaned the pipe with wire wool and attached the scalewizard  leads to the pipe and then connected it to the electric point.So easy to fit I was amazed.Then I replaced the smashed tile with a hardboard and painted it same colour as the tile I dont get so much scale around the taps now so it must be working. Better than paying 650 euros that I was quoted by a spanish man

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Euro Anglo Sur (prestige Villas) - 4 posts
Holiday Rentals & Management in Duquesa Area - 0 posts
Power of Attorney (POA) - 10 posts
4 x 4 Dealers CDS. - 3 posts
EasyJet flights out of Bristol now on sale for after 27th October - 0 posts
How would you like to purchase a luxury apartment on a golf course and get it fully furnished for free? - 11 posts
satalite & air con - 1 posts
My Dog Needs Urgent Help!!!!!! - 4 posts
Should We Move Back to England ???????? - 77 posts
Delyn and Robert Hughes - 2 posts
sandy says hi from los olivos - 3 posts
Vera Playa, Vera - 3 posts
habitation cert - 3 posts
pollipop - 2 posts
Drive to Spain - 8 posts
Request - 4 posts
Hi! New here.... - 2 posts
Kathy and Jim Lawson - 2 posts
Apart-Hotel - 2 posts
Costs and Proceedures of buying in Spain - 4 posts
HI LOW - 200 posts
El Rincon Toscano Estapona - 3 posts
Anybody over here interested in a bargain "finca" just of the beach at La Cala de Mijas? - 14 posts
Fan Belts... - 21 posts
Community Meetings and Debtors - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 39

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x