My Dog Needs Urgent Help!!!!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by Grazy Star rating in Estepona. 17 posts Send private message

Hi All,

I have a 2-year-old Yorkshire terrier named Sami. She keeps getting ticks and flees, despite me treating her with Frontline of Advantage.

Is a flea collar the only answer or is there a natural remedy that I haven’t heard about?

Please let me know how you deal with this problem in Spain?

www.26intheshade.com”>Spain for a Great Quality of Life!

Like 0      
21 Jun 2007 6:37 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi Grazy,
We have a 6 month old 'liver' Lab, named Digger.
We've had him just over a month.
When we got him, he was covered in ticks and flees, as you expect!
We treated him with Frontline and and flee collar (that cost 26 euros, but don't tell my husband) that covers him for flees, ticks and mozzies for up to 6 months, or so it says on the box!
No problems so far, he is free of all things with more than 4 legs.
Now Digger, being a Lab, loves water. So to stop him getting into our little splash pool, we have given him an old bathtub to play in. He loves it. I put a few drops of citronella oil in it. I don't know if this helps him much, but as I said, he is free of bugs.
Regards,
Fiona

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2007 12:46 PM by alannah Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

My friend's dog has the same problem and she used to put garlic in his food which seemed to help the flea problem but not his breath, so be warned... Also we have two house cats that never go outside and despite treating them for over 6 months with Frontline and the house with pesticides, they still have fleas (Where do they come from??????).  Try using another brand of drops or alternatively take the dog to the vet and they might be able to prescribe a strong shampoo or alternative. The vet gave us a shampoo when we took the cats in...but trying to bath cats is somewhat of a challenge to say the least so we haven't done it yet (I value my skin), you'll be alright with your dog though.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2007 7:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
My cat gets Frontlined once a month, and has only brought home one flea in two years. He goes out all the time, but since he's castrated, I think he mainly just watches the other cats, rather than getting close enough to catch anything! Fleas can only come from other animals - are you sure your cats aren't sneaking out when you're not watching?!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Jun 2007 8:34 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

We brought our two hounds over from England, a Saluki and a Greyhound and for the most part they have been free from tics and lice despite living in a rural area where most of their walks are in long grass. I check them over once a week for creepy crawlies but apart from having treated them with Frontline about six months ago they remain bug ,free. However during the last big tormenta here we were adopted by a Podenco bitch, a stray who had been wandering around the village for two or three weeks. She was infested with every nasty you could think of. She had also at some point in her life had pups. This bedraggled little wretch sheltered in my doorway throughout the storm howling and barking, eventually waking up the entire street, this at 4a.m. Being the softy that I am I took her in, dried her off and fed her. My own two dogs must have felt a bit sorry for her, because there was no snapping or vying for position in the canine hierachy. In fact the Greyhound, who is definitely the Alpha female of my little pack took it upon herself to actually give her a tongue wash.

I took the newly acquired dog to our local vet the following day and had her checked over, and wormed, just in case, and got a vial of a substance called 'Barricade' This stuff has to be diluted 1000% ie 1ml of Barricade to 1 litre of water. and then sprayed onto the coat using a spray. (I actually got the spray pack from the garden centre of the local feretaria. Same as you would use to spray roses). This stuff worked extremely well.and within days she was clear of infestation. Despite this, however I did give her  shampoo using a proprietary anti parastic shampoo. My other two dogs get on very well without any real form of continuous treatment , but the stray now has a flea and tic collar just in case.

Our biggest problem is the processional caterpillars referred to elsewhere in these forums. The area where we live has a high percentage of pine trees were these particularly nasty buggers breed; We stay well clear of these areas at caterpillar time.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Should We Move Back to England ???????? - 77 posts
Delyn and Robert Hughes - 2 posts
sandy says hi from los olivos - 3 posts
Vera Playa, Vera - 3 posts
habitation cert - 3 posts
pollipop - 2 posts
Drive to Spain - 8 posts
Request - 4 posts
Hi! New here.... - 2 posts
Kathy and Jim Lawson - 2 posts
Apart-Hotel - 2 posts
Costs and Proceedures of buying in Spain - 4 posts
HI LOW - 200 posts
El Rincon Toscano Estapona - 3 posts
Anybody over here interested in a bargain "finca" just of the beach at La Cala de Mijas? - 14 posts
Fan Belts... - 21 posts
Community Meetings and Debtors - 3 posts
Community Meetings and Debtors - 7 posts
Palmera Properties - 5 posts
Condado de Alhama - 1 posts
snagging - 0 posts
Apartment needed for client. - 9 posts
Question for Maria de Castro - 1 posts
Spanish Taxes - 0 posts
OFF PLAN BUILD - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x