Power of Attorney (POA)

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by sil Star rating in London. 14 posts Send private message

I won't be able to complete and will be giving my Spanish Lawyers POA. This seems to entail going to the Foreign Office in London to get the POA stamped and authorised. Anyone else had to do this?

Like 0      
22 Jun 2007 5:12 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

We did POA but we did it at a Notary in Roquetas. It was very painless - we had a rep from our agent translating for us and our solicitor was there. Cost us 50 euros.

But I thought you only had to go to a solicitor here?

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 6/22/2007.

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 6/22/2007.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
22 Jun 2007 5:26 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
Depends how quick you need it , my notary posted it to Foreign Office and it took a few weeks to come back

Like 0      
22 Jun 2007 9:02 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

The stamp needed on the POA when you grant this in the UK is the Hague Apostille. I think I never sent this article to Justin,  an do not why as I send to him all my " literature" so... please, feel free to find info here and Justin, please feel free to send it to the rest of the EOS community if you want.

http://www.costaluzlawyers.es/eng/?p=38

Best weekend,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Jan 2008 9:57 PM by flyingcat Star rating in London/Mojacar. 85 posts Send private message

flyingcat´s avatar

We are facing same problem. Our builder phoned our lawyer today and wants completion next Tue/Wed (15th/16th of Jan). At such short notice we cannot get time off from work. Can anyone advise whether it is possible to get POA on time? We probably can get a couple of days off the week after, is that reasonable asking for one week later for completion?

If we have to complete by POA, can anyone advise us what we should expect? fee and document wise i.e what fees we have to pay to whom at what point (we have mortgage) and what kind of documents our lawyer will sign on behalf of us i.e. deed?

Many thanks. Appreciated a quick reply.

Like 0      
08 Jan 2008 10:11 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

We gave our solicitor POA but well in advance of completion (about 5 months before) because my sister is a teacher & we knew that she wouldn't be able to take time off outside of school holidays. We went to the notary while we were in Spain though.

I think it cost us 50euros at the notary office on the day that we signed the POA.

The solicitor signed the deed on our behalf & was also able to set up the water & electricity accounts. He could also have opened a bank account but this wasn't required as this was arranged with the mortgage.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
08 Jan 2008 10:52 PM by flyingcat Star rating in London/Mojacar. 85 posts Send private message

flyingcat´s avatar

Thanks for the reply. I see you are in Vera which is not far from Mojacar. Can you please PM me your lawyer's details since our lawyer does not do much and never explain anything to us. We figure out everything ourself online.

Like 0      
09 Jan 2008 1:27 PM by SIMONE12 Star rating in DEVON. 23 posts Send private message

Hi just would like to ask a couple questions regarding the POA, hope someone can help,

1) Im in the UK, who do i use as a Notary? What is a Notary? Must i sign in front of a Notary?

2) Where do i get the POA stamped by the Hague Apostille?

Thank You

Like 0      
09 Jan 2008 4:05 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Flyingcat

First of all, your solicitor has to send you the forms for power of attorney (which they may charge up to 200€ for, ours was included in the conveyancing fee). We went to a notary in Leeds with passports for identification where the notary signed and stamped the forms. The form was then sent to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in London for the Hague Apostille to be granted. the forms were then returned to the notary, we collected and sent them by post to Spain. It cost us about £115 in total in UK fees for notary and apostille. It took less than a week from leaving the notary to it being returned, but I have heard it can take 2- 3 weeks depending on work load.

Simone12

1) If you look in the Yellow Pages under notary, you will find some in your area. Check out a few of them as their fees vary quite drastically. You must sign the POA in front of the notary and take some relevant identification with you too as they will also take copies. May be worth asking him to notaris some passport copies while at it, you may then be able to use them in Spain instead of carrying around the original!

2) The notary should send the forms to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, or you can take it yourself. If you decide to send it by post yourself, you may find it takes longer than getting the notary to do it for you.

Mark

Like 0      
09 Jan 2008 4:15 PM by SIMONE12 Star rating in DEVON. 23 posts Send private message

Thanks Mark.  Again i have to thank Eye On Spain and its members as when i ask questions ( even if they may be a bit obvious and stupid! ) i always get a quick and easily explained answer.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2008 5:02 PM by eros Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hello

I am planing to buy a property in South Alicante can anybody tell me about all the steps in the purchase? any lawyer please?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

4 x 4 Dealers CDS. - 3 posts
EasyJet flights out of Bristol now on sale for after 27th October - 0 posts
How would you like to purchase a luxury apartment on a golf course and get it fully furnished for free? - 11 posts
satalite & air con - 1 posts
My Dog Needs Urgent Help!!!!!! - 4 posts
Should We Move Back to England ???????? - 77 posts
Delyn and Robert Hughes - 2 posts
sandy says hi from los olivos - 3 posts
Vera Playa, Vera - 3 posts
habitation cert - 3 posts
pollipop - 2 posts
Drive to Spain - 8 posts
Request - 4 posts
Hi! New here.... - 2 posts
Kathy and Jim Lawson - 2 posts
Apart-Hotel - 2 posts
Costs and Proceedures of buying in Spain - 4 posts
HI LOW - 200 posts
El Rincon Toscano Estapona - 3 posts
Anybody over here interested in a bargain "finca" just of the beach at La Cala de Mijas? - 14 posts
Fan Belts... - 21 posts
Community Meetings and Debtors - 3 posts
Community Meetings and Debtors - 7 posts
Palmera Properties - 5 posts
Condado de Alhama - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x