driving licence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jul 2012 4:13 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I did not renew my UK D/L.    I was standing in the queue in the post office and I re-read very carefully what I had to sign and realised that to sign to say that I was living in UK when I was resident in Spain would amount to a criminal offence. 

Previously the wording was to effect that I was showing my 'address in UK'.    I knew if push came to shove, I could argue my out of that. With the new wording I knew I would not be able to. I got a Spanish DL.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 5:09 PM by mgk Star rating in Penthouse 2. 241 posts Send private message

mgk´s avatar

Be aware, if you take a medical in order to obtain a Spanish driving license, make sure you apply for the license within 3 months

www.condadoelectricalservices.com        condadoes@live.co.uk

tel.605 832  795

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 5:11 PM by mgk Star rating in Penthouse 2. 241 posts Send private message

mgk´s avatar

;Be aware, if you take a medical in order to obtain a Spanish driving license, make sure you apply for the license within 3 months as there is a time limit, which I found out to my cost!

www.condadoelectricalservices.com        condadoes@live.co.uk

tel.605 832  795

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 5:14 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

johnzx, a bit of advice, please. i divide my time fairly equally between uk, spain & france. assuming all 3 countries have a similar "you have to normally live here in order to get a licence" requirement, where do you suggest i apply? thx, guy

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 5:27 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

The sooner they harmonise the EU DL the better - whats stopping them?

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 5:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Guy,

I would think it would logically be in the country where you are resident.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 7:03 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

PROBLEMA..............

quote.............Once the UK licence runs out or if it is lost or stolen, the new
licence must be Spanish if you are resident in Spain
If members need more details or information they can refer to.........................

If your license has been lost or stolen and you are a resident of Spain................then what do you do? Spain will not issue a license without your UK license and you cannot get a license from the UK ( legally ) because you are a Spanish resident?................

I looked at this Certificate of Entitlement which was mentioned in the Embassy info but it is NOT on the DVLA info.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 9:20 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

John, you are being provocative. - and wilfully obtuse. Help me out, please.. I spend a month on my finca in Spain, drive back to UK where I spend a month in a property I own there & then drive down to Marseille where I have a flat. And so on.  You now know as much as I. Which country would you say I am a resident of? While I am asking, where would you suggest  I apply to insure my cars, as each insurance company in each country says I have to spend at leadt 183 days a year in their country before they will insure me?  If you were I, which box would you tick if asked by some govt jobsworth "where do you live?".

Like 0      
10 Jul 2012 9:22 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

johnzx

Sanchez,

I  hope you have that approval in writing, otherwise you could be on very thin ice.

Not something I'm going to lose sleep over to be honest.  I think you're being a bit dramatic really.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 8:29 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Guy,
              I am not a personal adviser

As I said,  if I where in your situation (the precise details of which I do not know and do not wish to know)  I would apply for my DL in the country where I am legally resident (and where I pay my income tax).

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 8:56 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Karen, this what you were quoting I think.

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/cars/

Replacing or renewing your UK licence within Spain

You should bear in mind that once your UK photocard licence expires you will not be able to renew this with the DVLA if you are residing in Spain so you may wish to convert you licence over to a Spanish before it expires. Similarly, if your licence is lost or stolen you will not be able to replace it through the DVLA if you reside in Spain. You can apply to the DVLA for a ´Certificate of entitlement' in Spanish that can be used to apply for a Spanish driving licence.

Sanchez.

My post was based on my professional experience and knowledge of how the decission would have been made in the case of a fraudulent application for a D/L.  I have no reason to believe that since I retired that policy has altered.   And of course,  insurance would be invalid if  applied for on the strength of a frauduently obtained D/L.  

But as they say, "One pays their money and takes their choice" 

(Although I would not generally advise anyone to advertise here, or anywhere else, that they  may be breaking the law, as none of us are untraceable)

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 1:34 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

johnzx

Sanchez.

My post was based on my professional experience and knowledge of how the decission would have been made in the case of a fraudulent application for a D/L.  I have no reason to believe that since I retired that policy has altered.   And of course,  insurance would be invalid if  applied for on the strength of a frauduently obtained D/L.  

But as they say, "One pays their money and takes their choice" 

(Although I would not generally advise anyone to advertise here, or anywhere else, that they  may be breaking the law, as none of us are untraceable)

You seem to be implying that I have somehow fradulently applied for a UK driving licence.  I have already explained that I advised DVLA of my situation and they were cool with it.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
11 Jul 2012 1:42 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Looking at the info from the British Consulate it would seem to confirm (my opinion) that one cannot renew a UK D/L  if they are not resident in UK.    Thus to do so would appear to be fraudulent.  

"You seem to be implying that I have somehow fraudulently applied for a UK driving licence.  I have already explained that I advised DVLA of my situation and they were cool with it"

So you showed your home address on the application, which as you have made clear, is not in the UK  and they ‘were cool about that’ !

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/cars/

Replacing or renewing your UK licence within Spain

You should bear in mind that once your UK photocard licence expires you will not be able to renew this with the DVLA if you are residing in Spain so you may wish to convert you licence over to a Spanish before it expires. Similarly, if your licence is lost or stolen you will not be able to replace it through the DVLA if you reside in Spain. You can apply to the DVLA for a ´Certificate of entitlement' in Spanish that can be used to apply for a Spanish driving licence.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 11/07/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying New Car - Finance - 3 posts
Alternative phone number for Endesa's 902508850 - 3 posts
bit of fun - 0 posts
Wanted - Air Con unit - Algorfa (willing to travel) - 2 posts
For sale - single Wooden Headboard - Algorfa - 0 posts
For sale - Freesat box - Algorfa - 9 posts
Confused Help required FISCAL - 6 posts
“Don’t let a lost passport ruin your holiday!” - 1 posts
Any recent news... - 11 posts
Batxillerat Questionnaire - 12 posts
Where can I buy Jarapas rugs in southern Spain? - 6 posts
GENERAL ADVERTISING BY COMPANIES ON THESE INDIVIDUAL FORUMS AND THE BLOG SITE - 4 posts
Anyone using Hits mobile - 13 posts
Prescriptions charges - 59 posts
empty large van ret to uk - 0 posts
large van returning to uk empty - 0 posts
Brits begin to reclaim £400m in overpaid IHT from Spain - 0 posts
Van Man Rod - Warning - 0 posts
air con - 3 posts
Sales Staff Job - 0 posts
"Cars for Sale" section... - 2 posts
Is there such a thing as a trade policy in Spain? - 0 posts
Planning permission required to extend roof terrace? - 3 posts
Alterations prior to LFO - 1 posts
advantage rent a car spain murcia airport - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 33

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x