CGT double payment in Spain and UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by corserpaul Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Can anyone clarify the treatment of Capital gains on the sale of a non-residents property in Spain. I have just sold my property and am prepared to pay the Plusvalia tax as well CGT at 21% of the gain to the Spanish local and national tax authorities. God knows they need it ! A friend of mine paid his plusvalia but then returned to the UK without paying his CGT ! Risky ?

However, how will the UK inland rev treat the proceeds of this sale, given the reciprocity which is supposed to exist ? Am I liable to pay  any tax in the UK ?

Like 0      
09 Mar 2012 4:44 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I think not paying it is very risky, like your friend has done.  You can never run away from the tax authorities.  They will eventually catch up with you.

My understanding has always been that once you pay your CGT in Spain then you won't be taxed anything further when returning the proceeds of the sale to the UK.  If you've paid it in one European country then you don't need to pay it again in another.

That's my understanding of the matter!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Compassion with developers? - 4 posts
There is, in fact, NOTHING that we can do... - 11 posts
Can you recommend a good (conveyancing) solicitor in/near Malaga capital? - 0 posts
Virtually free flights from Murcia (San Javier) - 1 posts
help us find a pianist! - 2 posts
Changeover costs - 30 posts
Real Murcia FC - 8 posts
Satellite Dish, dual LNB for sale - 8 posts
Im looking for LADDERS - 0 posts
I am writing an article for a rental website entitled: Hotels Vs. Villas - 6 posts
Hola! Just a simple introduction - 7 posts
gas heaters - 6 posts
Postal rates from Spain to Uk and Europe - 2 posts
Bilbao Hotel - 1 posts
Martinez Echavarria Almeria - 3 posts
Mobile Catering Units - any got any experience good or bad? - 5 posts
Classic car Or Mercedes SL ==WANTED== - 3 posts
New car - 4 posts
Outgoings help required - 6 posts
Learning to fly in Murcia - 1 posts
HIGH INTEREST INVESTMENTS - 83 posts
Advice needed urgently please re spanish mortage offer - 29 posts
Do I need a licence? - 5 posts
Private Messages - 1 posts
English football with a 3 oclock kick off - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x