Which side on the Round-a-bouts?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Feb 2012 12:00 AM by BIGJGROUP Star rating in LA ZENIA. 8 posts Send private message

What does the law say about going around in the roundabouts? Some people say stay on the inside othes say their instructor said you must stay on the outside. I am confused, especially if I see the cops standing at the next exit!!

Like 0      
08 Feb 2012 11:22 AM by Scout Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

Scout´s avatar

It depends where you want to go.

If you're on a road with two lanes in each direction approaching a roundabout (in Spain, driving on the right) and you want to turn right then you approach the roundabout in the right hand lane. If you´re going to go straight across then I think you should be on the right hand side as well (although I tend to choose the quickest moving lane). If you're going to take the road to the left then you go around the inside indicating right as you make your exit. If you´re using the roundabout to go back down the road you just came up then again, right around the inside then indicate right to make your exit.

I mean, there are roundabout s with 5 or 6 lanes near me. If you want to go to the left and you stay in the right hand lane all the way round you´ll cause chaos. There´s no point having a 5 lane roundabout then telling everyone to stay in the outside lane.

Anyway, always a situation where you have to be a bit more alert, especially in Spain where they are fond of putting traffic lights / zebra crossings on exits, and will often throw in a bus stop and wheelie bin / bottle bank in order to maximise potential hazards and reduce visibility even further.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2012 12:18 PM by gcarton Star rating. 144 posts Send private message

There was an article about this I think in RTN written by a local traffico, and the answer he gave was different. Whoever is on the rounbabout has priority. So if you are on the outside going round the person on the inside has to go round with you. Mad ain't it. I will try and dig out the article.

Guy

Like 0      
08 Feb 2012 12:38 PM by mugabe Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

scout you forgot the huge bushes on dangerous junctions to increase your chances of running people over 

Like 0      
08 Feb 2012 8:39 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Scout - you have described exactly what most of us learnt in the UK (opposite side of the road of course, but otherwise the same principle) and the only logical and safe way to tackle a roundabout. And also the exact opposite of what almost every driver in Spain actually does. What they actually teach them to do who the hell knows? There's a driving school just up the road from me, and I regularly see their instructors pull up on the zebra outside my place (which is also conveniently situated on a corner next to the wheelie bins and bottle bank) and jump out to buy a paper and have a chat at the kiosk, meanwhile blocking the bus coming up behind and causing chaos as all the traffic behind the bus starts beeping. If the zebra has already been bagged, they just pull up on the pavement. So personally, I wouldn't trust too much what any Spanish driver thinks is the correct way - even the traffic cops (they use the zebra as a parking place as well when they want to pop into the cafe next door)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Feb 2012 9:00 PM by gazzerb Star rating in Malaga/Winchester. 34 posts Send private message

gcarton Is correct on two points: Yes there was an article in The Sur in English written by a Police Officer regarding procedure at roundabouts.

Which ever direction you are going at a roundabout, so long as you do not change lanes, and indicate accordingly, YOU have priority. I.E. If there are 2 lanes in and two or more lanes out at ANY point, you can be in the right lane, indicate left and go around the roundabout in the right lane to your exit no matter where it is!!!!! Absolutely bonkers but correct!

If you look at a Spanish driving tuition book, don't laugh, it is the same size as the thick Highway Code book, it only shows how to proceed at roundabouts with one road in and one road out, not multiple lanes!

I still use the clock method here but you can be overtaken around the "outside" by a luney who wants your exit. They are totally within their rights to do so because THEY are NOT changing lanes, it will be you and as such you have to give way to them! Bonkers again!

Have you ever noticed a foreigner (usually a trucker) coming to grief on a UK roundabout because he is applying "his" rules to UK roundabouts? If you do drive in the UK again, please note the foreign truck in the left lane with it's right hand indicator going, it just maybe turning right all the way round the roundabout in the left lane!!!

Like 0      
08 Feb 2012 10:24 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Funnily enough (not funny really) this morning I once again successfully negotiated the large, two lane roundabout that I pass several times a week, gracias adios, but noticed the wrought iron fencing recently installed to protect pedestrians on one of the corners was totally - well, totalled. It won't change anything of course. Nobody will figure out what they're doing wrong.

They say "When in Rome" etc., but I do struggle to un-learn the method I learnt even as a child cyclist doing my cycling proficiency test. But it's true, everywhere is different. Years ago I was living in Boston, Mass., and was somewhat dumbfounded to discover that traffic entering roundabouts had right of way, meaning that if you are driving around it and someone else wants to join, you actually have to stop on the roundabout to let them in. Took some getting used to. Just when I thought I had it licked, I went to New Hampshire, only to discover that the rules vary from State to State!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Feb 2012 11:02 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Holland has the main road going through the roundabout.  That is, if you are on the main road then you have right of way entering the roundabout.  If you are coming from the minor road, you have to give way to traffic entering from the main road.

This thing about Spain has been discussed elsewhere many times.  Apparently, when roundabouts first came out, everyone was told to stay in the inside (right hand) lane regardless of which exit you were taking.  This, so I've been told, was changed by "Royal Decree" in 2008 to "Turning right or going straight ahead, use the inside (right hand) lane - Going left (3rd exit) or back  the same direction (usually 4th exit) then use the outside (left hand) land but move into the inside lane just before the turn and use indicators to show change of lane".  Whilst this makes sense, I can't find it in the Spanish version of the Highway Code and driving schools still teach "stay in the inside lane all the way around".  I find that rather dangerous especially as many use the outside lane when going straight ahead but have seen them stop on the roundabout if something in the inside lane indicates to go all the way around.

They even have road markings on some of the main roundabouts round us marking which lane to take for which turning, ie, right lane for turning right and straight on and left lane for going left or going back the way you came.  I've still been cut up by someone on the outside suddenly indicating to take the 1st right, though.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2012 11:22 PM by Scout Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

Scout´s avatar

Haha - I have to say, I haven´t read any Spanish manuals on it, just tried to apply some logic which was evidently wrong. When I first moved here a decade or so ago I asked a Spanish colleague about drink / drive rules. He told me the Police were not really that concerned about it, even if they did stop someone they vary rarely breathalysed them. Then he added with a completely straight face "Anyway my friend, have you seen how the people are driving here? You need a few drinks for courage before you get in the car ".

One of my pet hates for years was barrelling down the A2 into Madrid every morning and evening, and buses pulling out of bus stops directly into the flow of 120 kmph traffic. 

And the other classic, accelerating lanes on motorways where people stop dead at the bottom! 

Like 0      
09 Feb 2012 3:28 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The ‘Spanish Highway Code’ makes it clear that if you are in say the left hand (outside lane) on a roundabout, you have no right to signal that you are taking the next exit. The person on your inside does not have to give way. Thus the only legal thing to do is, to continue driving around the roundabout in the outside lane, until it is safe to move to the inside lane, then you may take an exit.

As  former Police Driver in UK I know that this does nol make a lot of sense to Btrits. but as they say when in Rome. 

Spanish law

A short while ago I attended a presentation on certain laws in Spain. The presenter, an abogado, said we should be aware that in Spain, judges up hold the law, not justice. That is Spain if there is not a law which says you can do something, you cannot do it. Unlike, say in UK, where if there is no law which says you cannot do it, then you can.

After 25 years in Spain, I suddenly started understanding some things which had remained a mystery.

On the point of breathalysers.

In Spain if one is over the limit, by even one point, they are not insured, thus the innocent third party cannot claim from your insurance.

I know the police used (maybe not now) but either not breathalyse or say a positive one was negative to ‘protect’ the innocent party.

In UK if one has an accident when they are over the limit the third party can still claim.
larryX is online now Add to larryX's Reputation Report Post   Reply With Quote

Like 0      
09 Feb 2012 9:44 PM by Angell Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

I totally agree with Bobaol, right lane to turn right or go straight on, left lane to go left, sheer common sense, but there is nothing so scarce as common sense. I do object to the constant reference to 'Spanish Drivers' I think it should be 'Drivers in Spain', when I came to Spain 23 years ago 'Spanish Drivers' were very good and considerate, it is the foriegn drivers that are the problem. I wonder if there is anyone apart from me who drives and parks within the white lines, everyone seems to cross the line on bends (most dangerous) and straddle the line when parking.

Like 0      
09 Feb 2012 10:44 PM by gazzerb Star rating in Malaga/Winchester. 34 posts Send private message

Take heed of what johnzx says and keep your eyes in the mirror when turning left at a roundabout. I suggest making sure no one comes around the outside of you before your turn. Get in front of them before they get too close. Yeah sure they may hoot, toot and gesticulate but at least you'll make your turn and not have to go around again.

Like 0      
09 Feb 2012 11:00 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

When in SPAIN my driving mode completely alters remote control is not an option, when you come on a zero start side entrance on to the main dual carriageway I always shift over to the LEFT LANE but most dont.

I remember driving through MARBELLA on the N340 and it was RAINING HEAVILY then all of a sudden someone braked and around me cars were crashing I had to CHANGE LANES sevaral times just to avoid a collision it was very scary.

AND i admit sometimes early in the MORNING driving to the SHOPS i am on the wrong SIDE OF THE ROAD and only realise when some poor SPANISH PERSON starts waving PROFUSELY at me.

I know this is about ROUNDABOUTS which I never have a problem with but I THOUGHT I WOULD mention it but when you do CRASH eventually the SPANISH are so nice about it

Rod

Like 0      
09 Feb 2012 11:08 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Driving on the wrong side of the road?

I'm constantly amazed at how many vehicles I encounter on a short trip coming at me the wrong way down one-way streets. One of 'em you, Rod?????

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 Feb 2012 11:18 PM by gazzerb Star rating in Malaga/Winchester. 34 posts Send private message

Our village decided to make a sort of one way system. Good idea, but when the signs went up, underneath was another sign, "Except for authorised vehicles". Now the Spanish can continue to drive as they did before. Only the foreigners obey the signs!

Like 0      
09 Feb 2012 11:42 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Roberto - "Years ago I was living in Boston, Mass., and was somewhat dumbfounded to discover that traffic entering roundabouts had right of way, meaning that if you are driving around it and someone else wants to join, you actually have to stop on the roundabout to let them in."

It was like this in France until about 25 years ago, one always gave way to the right at intersections and roundabouts. I remember the change -  to hammer the point they put up reminders "Vous n'avez pas la prioritie" - which they still retain. One can still be surprised by a farmer on a tractor pulling out from a field - on the right hand side. I think that priority to the right still applies absent the yellow diamonds, which are present on pretty much all roads. But if you come across diamonds with a black line drawn through them it means you give way to the right. You often find these in French villages.

This message was last edited by GuyT on 09/02/2012.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2012 4:00 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The priority from the right also applied to Spain.

I remember in 1962 following a Spanish friend through Barcelona. I ask how he was able to drive across junctions so fast. He said because he only had to look to the right.  People on his left had to give way to him.  A bit hairy but it seemed to work

Like 0      
10 Feb 2012 4:00 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The priority from the right also applied to Spain.

I remember in 1962 following a Spanish friend through Barcelona. I ask how he was able to drive across junctions so fast. He said because he only had to look to the right.  People on his left had to give way to him.  A bit hairy but it seemed to work

Like 0      
11 Feb 2012 11:25 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

We actually did a video on this a while back as I've never really understood the "logic" in Spain when it comes to roundabouts.

Justin

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 11/02/2012.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
11 Feb 2012 3:54 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

Totaly didnt know that rule I have been very lucky not to have been in accident on a roundabout

Another very useful thread

I now know why people tailgate i wont be giving the V sign so much now

Anymore interesting TIPS on how to survive SPAIN

Thanks

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

hows the weather - 4 posts
Property Prices! - 62 posts
Another success for Costaluz, Maria and her team - 9 posts
Costaluz Lawyers, A great success in recovering our deposit using law 57/68 - 9 posts
How do I edit my thread? - 4 posts
Funeral Plans - 0 posts
Testimonial for Maria de Castro and the team at Costa Luz Lawyers - 4 posts
Gib. - 3 posts
driving to Spain from the UK - 16 posts
road tax advice - 5 posts
Legalisation Issies! - 5 posts
Typist Wanted - 0 posts
Have I really won the lottery? - 22 posts
Tax on Rental-Deductions - 8 posts
PROPERTY ADMINISTRATOR - 2 posts
Crisis?? - 0 posts
Earthquake - 3 posts
Mazarron apartment - 2 bed and 1 bath. - 1 posts
Working in the UK and having shares' dividends in Spain - 1 posts
Working in the UK, with share dividends in Spain - 0 posts
Recommendations for child friendly restaurants - 2 posts
EXPATS WALK FOR THEIR VILLAGE - 0 posts
surina - 4 posts
cats - 0 posts
FREEZING YUK - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 40

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x