Q for Justin

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jan 2012 12:00 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

Hi Justin,

I visit the site every day and read the latest posts. I have done so for many years.

I've noticed that the number of posts have really come down recently. Is this a seasonal thing?

Do you keep stats on visitor numbers, forum posts etc.

What I'm trying to get at is, has interest in all things Spanish died down since the credit crunch?

I lived and breathed Spain at one point (from 2003 to 2009), then moved back to the UK in December 2009 and got back to "normal" life, started again (home, job etc etc).

Just wondered if others noticed a slowdown. Also wondered how many people have moved back to the UK?

Like 0      
31 Jan 2012 2:50 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Eva2008

I can't answer for Justin, though I would be interested in seeing his reply.  We live in Jumilla in Murcia region, about one hour from the coast.  Where we are, nobody  has gone home or is considering doing so, as they consider they have a better lifestyle here than if they moved back to the UK.  Having said that, we have heard that many younger people from the Pinoso area have returned to the UK due to lack of work, though the pensioners are still here!

Interested in hearing other people's experiences.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
31 Jan 2012 5:13 PM by Scout Star rating. 39 posts Send private message

Scout´s avatar

I imposed a 6 month exile on myself with EoS last summer. It was getting to the point where if anyone dare say anything nice about Spain they were berated by a whole host of people that had had a bad experience. And it didn't matter if you were sympathetic or not to peoples misfortune, for them (not all of them of course) Spain was a nightmare and you were somehow mentally deficient if you didn't use every post to slag off Spanish lawyers, the legal system in general, politicians, banks, builders...

I used to come away with the impression that I should feel guilty because my house purchase went reasonably smoothly.

At other times I just felt it got a bit, not intentionally racist, but, I wasn´t comfortable reading it. Silly stuff but it was just the way it was worded "We´ve recently bought a quad property and unfortunately some Spaniards live in one of the residences, you know how noisy they are..."  and I found stuff like that sad.

But yes, noticed the forums aren´t quite as busy, haven´t seen Norman Sands, Poppy, Campana etc

Still a good place to get some good, free advice from other expats and I´m sure it'll pick up again.

Like 0      
31 Jan 2012 7:29 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yes, the forums are not as busy as they were say, two or three years ago, even though we are at our highlest level of visitors of all time at the moment.  Visitors to the site are up by around 20% compared with January last year.  It goes up every year.

We have around 100 new members sign up every week...but these are different times today.

We used to have many more people using the forums when they were having development build nightmares, wondering where their money was and people panicing over the tumbling property market.

Today, people have, to a degree, more or less accepted how things are and where they are going so they are less likely now to question everything on forums.

It has all settled down a little as it had all gone a bit crazy.

Current forum usage is probably at the right level of usage relative to the site traffic.  I think previous levels of forum usage were abnormal, especially when you compared it to other similar Spain forums.  You have to remember too that many people join the site solely to keep in touch with people in their own communities and therefore only use their specific community forum for this.

Our private message facility is busier than ever so I think more and more people are actually preferring to communicate more in private too.

So, all in all, website traffic is up and forum activity is, I think, about normal.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
01 Feb 2012 10:12 AM by El alamillo Star rating in Nottingham & El Alam.... 221 posts Send private message

I have to agree with all that has been said. I feel that without my normal dose of EOS that life would not be the same. Yes! It got a bit personal at times in the past. I like to think that we all had something to learn from the experiences of others but not at the expense of others. Funny enough I do miss some of the banter that went on. I have often said why did my dream of a life in Spain, which started back in 2001, go OK but for so many others it went wrong. I did give time to consider a more permanent life in Spain but remained a Non resident owner being mortgage free at both ends with a car at both ends also still working in the UK. (The round wheel had already been invented in Spain). So very glad I did not give up on life in the UK. It is going to be very hard for us all on the road to the future. I still have a bit over 4 years to retirement at 65. So I will continue to enjoy my dual status, at least for the time being  

Without the input good or bad from Forum sites like EOS. Where would we be? Please keep up the good work you and your EOS team do Well done Justin.

Always remember to keep the sun in Ya Heart. 

Like 0      
03 Feb 2012 3:10 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Possibly it's just a phase but there are a couple of newer contributors who are a bit overbearing which might encourage lethergy.   A lot of people come to EOS to float ideas and for a discussion, rather than be told one person's opinion.  Far more annoying are the small number who just make daft unfunny comments, though thankfully at least one of these seems to have gone.  The contributions from TJ and others on the "Coming WW Credit Crunch" are greatly missed.  That was an amazing and enlightening thread (I always thought that M3 was a road in Surrey).  But this is still the best forum for a wide variety of common issues/information.

This message was last edited by acer on 03/02/2012.

Like 0      
03 Feb 2012 4:43 PM by Cove Robert Star rating. 214 posts Send private message

Without the input good or bad from Forum sites like EOS. Where would we be? Please keep up the good work you and your EOS team do Well done Justin.

Seconded El alamillo

It's extremely quiet on my community forum but I'd say a lot of people there have settled down and are not in need of information as badly as in the beginning. Most posts were related to furniture purchases and utilities. There was a peak when some people got stung by con-men, so maybe no news is good news?

I miss techno ape though, he seemed so upbeat. I remember when he came on to the Siesta Show. Optimism to spare.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Import Taxes etc. - 2 posts
Strange demand?? - 1 posts
Best banks in Spain - 32 posts
Guardia Civil introduce new rules for foreign cars - 41 posts
Fuente Álamo de Murcia any information would be helpful - 2 posts
Sad - 5 posts
Best Euro Route Finder Please - 6 posts
Auriga Crown car hire ceased trading - 11 posts
Renault Scenic '98 Turbo Diesel for sale. - 0 posts
Interim Charging Order - 5 posts
Filing accounts at the Hacienda - 10 posts
Bunk beds wanted - 0 posts
Help for changing Aqugest water supply - 6 posts
Spanair Bust ? - 4 posts
What questions are allowed at an AGM - 8 posts
HEATER, COOLER, HUMIDIFIER ONLY 50 EUROS COSTA DEL SOL - 3 posts
TV CABINET. ONLY 30 EUROS. COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
TV CABINET. ONLY 30 EUROS. COSTA DEL SOL - 0 posts
DOUBLE BED ONLY 50 EUROS WITH MATTRESS. Costa del sol - 1 posts
2 heaters for only 20 euros each. Costa del sol - 0 posts
SELLING 2 SINGLE BEDS WITH MATTRESS AND WOODEN BEDSIDE TABLE ONLY 100 EUR - 0 posts
What are my rights? - 1 posts
Youth employment - 3 posts
Hi has anyone purchased one of these apartments in Vera Paya http://www.propertyinspain.net/property-for-sale/property.aspx?id=15680 - 3 posts
Chemtrails - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x