Euro VS Sterling

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Dec 2011 12:00 AM by elliebobs Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

I see this morning that the Euro is trading at almost 1.19 against Sterling. Hopefully Mr Cameron has done us Euro needers a favour.

Like 0      
14 Dec 2011 12:05 PM by wizzard2 Star rating in Costa Blanca. 32 posts Send private message

I agree with the stance,David Cameron  has taken,It is about time we put a stop to the gung ho French and German attitude.

As for the pound being stronger against the Euro,It is not actually stronger,otherwise it would increase in value over other foreign currencies,which is not really happening.The Euro weakness should not be read as the Pounds strengh,Sterling is still in trouble,but led properly the Country can get straight again.At the moment the Euro has too many countries bleeding it dry.I personally think a month or two down the line will see a difference,in how we all think

Like 0      
14 Dec 2011 12:42 PM by elliebobs Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

Well lets stay positive. We have had enough doom and gloom over recent times. I think that everyone could do with an upturn in fortunes.

Like 0      
14 Dec 2011 2:09 PM by jonkil Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Well with a business based in Ireland but trading with the UK I have moved most of my banking to the UK inc savings and investments. I believe STG is still a much safer bet, and many business like me are doing likewise.... the downside is that Ireland & euro will continue to become haemorrhaged while this persists… but it’s me or them…. No contest

Like 0      
15 Dec 2011 2:59 PM by EveryLet Star rating in San Miguel de Salina.... 2 posts Send private message

I've seen the euro is 1.17 today... Lets see how long it stays this high....

Like 0      
15 Dec 2011 4:05 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

1.1902 now....

I can see a 1.25 by march!

Like 0      
15 Dec 2011 9:17 PM by elliebobs Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

As Churchill would say, " Oh yes".

Thats the dog by the way, not Sir Winston.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2011 12:41 AM by moonlight1 Star rating in Madrid. 5 posts Send private message

It would really be very interesting to see how the two currencies do over the next few months.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2011 1:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

On Euro Day,  I think it was 8th Feb 2002,  the euro  was 1.64 (or a fraction more ) to pound. 

Those were the days my friend !

Like 0      
16 Dec 2011 2:31 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

They may well return John ,They may well return

Hope so then we can all go back to CHEAP spanish holidays which will help SPAINS ecconomy

I wonder what the best ever POUND/PESETA rate was THE GOOD OLD DAYS 15p for a PINTA

Rod

This message was last edited by rod on 16/12/2011.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 10:14 AM by gperry Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I can remeber a pint costing 50 Pesata not 15 sorry.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 10:27 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In 1962 a bottle of Sam Miguel in Barcelona was 3.5 ptas. (with 163 to the pound). 

Full board in a 3 star hostal (Tossa del Mar) was £1 p.p. per night.

Having said that,  I worked out how long I had to work to pay that,  and a person in the same job today,  would actually be working less time  that I had to. So things are better.

Also,  my first recollection in UK of a TV for sale was in about 1949.  It had a  9"  black and white screen and was £109.  In 1967 I started work as an apprentice at  two pounds eight shillings gross  per 48 hours week.

We never had it so good as NOW

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 10:32 AM by lacanau Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi, For some time now the Euro has been grossly over-valued on the back of a strong Germany and a not so strong French economy. In reality there are too many weak countries with huge debt positions and the French will suffer big time as a result.. What has happened so far is that sticking plasters have been put on the symptoms in an attempt to hold the Euro together this has not and will not resolve the problems. It's time for the Euro to devalue to it's proper level to allow the weaker countries to improve their export positions as would happen naturally if Greece etc. still had individual currencies. Let's hope that Sterling doesn't weaken at the same time.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 11:10 AM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

G perry 15p was roughly 50 pesetas the P means pence

Sorry for the confusion

Rod

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 11:43 AM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

I have a possible property sale schedule for completion in March/April 2012  ie with a low offer. Also I  wll have to transfer  the Euro (Or whatever currency Spain will have by then back to sterling )    Has anybody any thoughts on whether I should hang on to the property for a longer period to see what the situation will be later on or bite the bullet, get out ! and take a chance for March completion time

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 12:28 PM by PablodeRonda Star rating in Ronda (Málaga). 76 posts Send private message

Sales are so hard to come by, I think I'd take the money whenever it's available. Hope it doesn't fall through. Good luck!

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 12:35 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Thanks for that sensible advice  Pablo

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 2:26 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Papa may I ask why the completion is so far away?

And which Nationalitie you are selling too?

Rod

This message was last edited by rod on 17/12/2011.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 2:31 PM by dartboy Star rating. 95 posts Send private message

if you have a sale lined up i would take it and just pray the euro holds together long enough without losing too much value.

Like 0      
17 Dec 2011 2:38 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Buyer ( English resident ) in spain has to make some arrangements and yet to agree a price etc  estate agent suggested it may be March/April   remember Xmas/New Year in between 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Just moved to Puerto de Mazarron, Murcia - 2 posts
Hi, Im looking for yoga/meditation in Costa del Sol. - 1 posts
mortgage applied for - 5 posts
Sourcing stuff... a source of frustration! - 9 posts
Valor Catastral revalue in Marbella 2011 / 2012 - 4 posts
POLICE WARNING - 5 posts
paraja de hecho - 2 posts
Turkey for christamas - 5 posts
HELPING ALL THE DOGS & CATS ABANDONED OR IN THE REFUGES - 2 posts
Help Wanted - Car Hire Malaga Airport - 1 posts
Solbank website - is it down ? - 9 posts
Short notice for first AGM - 8 posts
Save 10% on Ferry Crossings. - 1 posts
Parra Mellado and FLO - 1 posts
RECOMMENDATION FOR LAWYERS NEAR FORMENTERA DEL SEGURA - 0 posts
Mac help - 12 posts
Bike shop Fuengirola/La Cala - 1 posts
RYAN STRIKE AGAIN - 1 posts
Settle an argument - 8 posts
Help with Paying Non Resident Tax. - 10 posts
Van to Mijas Costa - 6 posts
Problems With Intasure - 1 posts
Overweight Moi - 0 posts
WAITING TWO MONTHS FOR RETURN OF DEPOSIT - 8 posts
Marbella joins the move to leave the A-7 in darkness - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 40

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x