Travel Insurance

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Staysure, Insurance for the over 50s advertise their services in Spain. But only show an 0844 UK contact number. It is possible with a lot of internet searching to find a Spanish number.

I contacted them for a quote for three months travel insurance. The quote for a couple (one aged 72 the other under 60) was a reasonable 370€, however by the time I had added existing conditions it went to over 1,000€, so I thought that as, in the main, the existing conditions don't give me any problems I would ask if I could include just the one which may become a problem. I also pointed out that a Spanish telephone number would be better that an 0844 one which may not be available from SPain (as you see this was ignored) This was the reply:- 

With regards to medical conditions you either choose to include all of the pre-existing medical conditions or none. This means that if you choose to exclude pre-existing medical conditions anything directly or indirectly linked would not be covered.

I hope this helps if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on 0844 6928418.

It looks like I will not be using Staysure the 'friendly one just like in UK? !!!!

I should be grateful if someone can recommend a company which provide more 'understanding service.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2011 1:57 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

I always use flexicover, but some one I know who is over 70 and whose wife has several medical conditions, has recently opened a current account with Lloyds TSB and for about £10 a month gets free travel insurance, AA breakdown cover and mobile phone insurance.

They don't want the AA or mobile phone cover but tell me that the £10 a month works out a lot cheaper than the travel insurance quotes they have received in the past.

Kelju

Like 0      
28 Oct 2011 2:28 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Kelju

Thanks,

but as I live outside the UK  (Spain) I cannot open an account with a UK high street bank.

EU Single market !!       What single market ??

Like 0      
28 Oct 2011 3:27 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

kelju, tell your friends to check the policy very carefully.  These type of accounts that offer free travel insurance usually have an upper age limit of 65 (as recently shown on Watchdog).  Plus the cost of these "premier" current accounts are undergoing an investigation because the benefits offered are sometimes a complete waste of money.  However, I think the Lloyds one is for those under 80 so it might be a good thing.  On Watchdog, Barclays sold this type of account to a woman of 72 but the age limit was only 65.

I'm with Natwest and the upper age limit on this type of policy is 70.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2011 8:19 PM by gemini11 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

my freinds have an account with the Halifax and get their travel insurance free, but we were all stranded in April last year with the volcano and both again in september with the general srike! and both times they refused to pay out, we are with boots yearly familly policy and both times they reimbersed us straight away no problem. so sometimes these policys are free but not worth the paper they are written on.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2011 8:20 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Yes you are right bobaol, Lloyd have 2 policies, 1 for under 65's and 1 for over 65's with an upper age limit, I don't know what this is but my friends are definitely below it.

Johnzx - i saw from your posting that you were outside of the UK but didn't know whether lloyds international banking offered anything similar, or whether even the international account was open to a non uk resident.

Hope someone else can offer some advice.

Kelju

Like 0      
28 Oct 2011 8:44 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Gemini 11,  Halifax upper limit is 70 for the travel insurance. And it costs £15 a month.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2011 2:16 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Barclays Premier Life age limit is 80 years, exisiting medical conditions have to be notified, they will then decide whether to cover that condition, if it is not notified any problems arising from that condition will not be covered.

Each account holder and his/her domestic partner must be under

80 years of age at the start date of any trip

Poppyseed

Like 0      
30 Oct 2011 2:56 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The posts,   whilst interesting,   do not assist me in my situation..

I live in Spain, thus I cannot open an account with a 'high street bank' in UK  (I have one with Nationwide which existed before I left UK but they do not have an isurance scheme). Any suggestions for me, please

Like 0      
20 Jun 2012 3:58 PM by helly_smile Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

helly_smile´s avatar

Here you are. Spanish numbers to order travel insurance policy: 966 265 000 or 975 170 115 (globelink. co. uk)

Like 0      
21 Jun 2012 9:41 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Interesting thread

There are a lot of things to consider before you take out Travel Insurance. If it is given away 'free' by say a bank exactly what is covered? Usually not a lot! You also need to understand how good they are at paying claims. There are certain companies who look good at this stage(taking out the policy) but when you come to claim are an absolute nightmare. Premium should be one of the last things you look at as it no use only paying a few bob if the company wont pay out  on claim. That way you would have been better off not even taking it out. Do not be fooled if you have a policy with a U.K. bank but live in Spain, YOUR ARE NOT COVERED, period. Another thing to look out for, especially if you live in Spain, is if I go to U.K. and then go to, for example the States, but do not have a continious journey are you covered? Lots of companies will not cover you, but I do know Globelink will. Don't even think about using your Spanish cover for the journey to and from U.K. but take out a U.K. policy for the American bit. This will not work as  you are NOT eligible for the U.K. policy as you are not a PERMANENT resident of the U.K. and also your Spanish part has to cover you from the day you leave your home here until you return here. This might be a longer period than you think and might exceed your max days per trip.

If you make a big claim the insurance will be looking for ways to not pay out. So do not try and hide anything as this will invalidate your policy at the time you need it most. Unless you are an expert it is best to actually speak to the company or broker and ask if this and that are covered ( have a written list of everything that concerns you). Also ask who handles their claims and if you approach several companies you will get to know which claims companies to avoid.

These are only a few of the concerns about taking out travel insurance so do not just rush in because this company is cheap. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH FIRST. Dont forget the old saying caveat emptor...buyer beware

Like 0      
21 Jun 2012 9:53 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This is a really important point by Steone:

Another thing to look out for, especially if you live in Spain, is if I go to U.K. and then go to, for example the States, but do not have a continious journey are you covered? Lots of companies will not cover you, but I do know Globelink will.

This means that if you book a flght from say UK to Thailand and then get a cheap ticket to the UK, you are not covered further than the UK.  So if you miss your connection in UK you are on your own.  This also applies say you decide to take a side trip when you are at your main destination.  No cover. with almost all companies.

As stated, Global Link is an exception, they added the extention a year or two ago (I had spoken to them at length about the problem, don't know if it was as a result they changed the cover).

Like 0      
21 Jun 2012 11:25 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

johnzx

Just a minor correction the company is GLOBELINK not global link.

I too have had many converstaions with them, mainly David  (the Boss) and he said johnzx.. who on earth is johnzx? lol

P.S. I have no connection with except as as client who has had my claim met in full.

Like 0      
21 Jun 2012 1:34 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Thanks Stephen,  does anyone use their real name here !!!!!

I am also 'known' by several names in the letters pages of various newspapers, but not by my real name !

This message was last edited by johnzx on 21/06/2012.

Like 0      
21 Jun 2012 1:48 PM by helly_smile Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

helly_smile´s avatar

Yep, Steone and Johnzx Globelink is a cool one:) 

All my family use it since 2010. ans as I have said you can call them on their Spanish number;)

why do you have so interesting ending of your name johnzx?)

Like 0      
21 Jun 2012 2:44 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Helly, 

do you mean you have never any called Mr John ZX !!!!!! 

It might be an old family surname, but of course it is'nt heheheh

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EW TELCO?? - 1 posts
rain damage in apartment below owners terrace - 2 posts
Dog needs a home - 0 posts
What is on in June in Sabinillis and Duquesa - 2 posts
Susan Pedalino quest speaker- - 0 posts
2006 Nissan Micra - 0 posts
Spanish public health system excludes the unemployed. - 2 posts
Removal of bad tenants - 8 posts
DFS great service - 26 posts
Car insurance UK and Spain - 6 posts
Jet 2 - 8 posts
Wooden House- Looking for Mortgage - 14 posts
Hola from windy, boring, unpleasant London - 0 posts
Excessive Gaol Sentences - 0 posts
28 years old, moving to Andalucia - 32 posts
George Soros with an answer? - 0 posts
Accepting another property in return for payments made - 3 posts
Painting of grills - 4 posts
Benirrama - 0 posts
Reputable Rental Management inland Alicante / Vla de Galinerra area ? - 0 posts
Have people had enough now? - 19 posts
GAS BBQ FOR SALE, MIJAS COSTA - 0 posts
SMALL DVD PLAYER, Mijas costa only 12 euros - 1 posts
SMALL DVD PLAYER, Mijas costa only 12 euros - 0 posts
2 SKIES FOR SALE ONLY 40 EUROS FOR EVERYTHING, MIJAS COSTA - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x