How healthy is your townhall's finances?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Jul 2011 12:00 AM by tangledman Star rating in Puerto de Mazarron. 45 posts Send private message

tangledman´s avatar

Hi Guys,

I have read a few articles hear and there about the state of finances of various townhalls.

How heavily indebted is your townhall?

Does anyone know of an article that highlights the problem across spain?

Simply Networking reports of the bad state of Moratalla

Mazarron is also heavily in debt

as is Los Alcazares who are struggling to pay the bills:

http://www.simplynetworking.es/news-7229-31-iberdrola_plan_to_cut_off_los_alc%C3%A1zares_council_on_7th_july_.html

Thanks

Will

Like 0      
31 Jul 2011 9:08 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Tangled:

Here is a link (from 2010) showing the 100 most heavily indebted local authorities in Spain.  Madrid heads the list with the highest debts.

http://www.idealista.com/news/archivo/2010/04/09/0165461-los-100-ayuntamientos-mas-endeudados-de-espana-tabla

Like 0      
31 Jul 2011 11:34 PM by tangledman Star rating in Puerto de Mazarron. 45 posts Send private message

tangledman´s avatar

Thanks for the post. It's good to know idealista compiled this data. Unfortuanately 2009 data is a bit old and a debt per head of population would be more helpful.

I just wonder whcih municipalities will be able to offer the most basic services, such as local police, rubbish collection and street lighting in the next 12 months.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2011 1:04 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I read this earlier:-

The Government registered a deficit of 24,132 million euros in the first half of the year, a reduction of 19% compared with the same period last year,  the result of cuts in salaries and costs in central administration, and increases in tax rates.  

However, the greatest threat to public finances comes from the free spending regional administrations.  

The 17 regional governments have debts of 121,240 million euros.  

Catalonia leads the pack with 34,323 million debts, followed by Madrid region (14,111 million).  

The regions have no solid plans to reduce their inflated administrations, expecting central government to pay for the ball.

The Government says the regions already owe them 19,000 million from 2009.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2011 1:39 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

Town Halls are mostly cent less.

Although they still seem to commit themselves to spending (that's not paying out!)

I certainly would not be doing business with them.

In some cases they have not paid debts for 3 years and when you ask they say we have no money!

I don't know the extent but there is certainly very visible cracks.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2011 2:35 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

Just paid my 09 and 10 IBI and Basura I had no reminders no knock on the door or formal contact if it was in the UK i would be in court have an attachment of earnings and no doubt have received dozens of red letters

They are just incompetent thats why they have no money you cannot pay by credit card either how antiquated

Regards Rod

Like 0      
01 Aug 2011 2:36 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Rod,  just don't be surprised if you get a bill for not paying on time.     

Many town halls, the tax office, etc.   don't chase you for the bill as they can then fine you and make you pay charges. That way they make more money.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 01/08/2011.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2011 2:47 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

LOL John!

Right on the money!

Patricia

Like 0      
01 Aug 2011 5:15 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

Yes John

Absolutely right a 20% loading in fact I asked for a set of terms and conditions

They laughed

Rod

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Sick Pay in Spain - 0 posts
Advice needed on kids starting school in Formentera del segura in spain - 6 posts
lobins answer to illegal homes - 0 posts
Best type of property for rental income - 7 posts
Wanted - Kids toys - 0 posts
Entity queery - 0 posts
squash courts - 0 posts
Form 210 - 0 posts
THE SALE THAT NEVER WAS - 1 posts
Ryan Air next year - 2 posts
TELEGRAPH newspaper's Spanish Planning Scandal Campaign - 0 posts
SPANISH PROPERTY LAWS ON ILLEGAL PROPERTIES - 15 posts
Morrisons Gibraltar Tobacco - 2 posts
Recommendations for Buildings and Contents Insurance - 16 posts
Moving To Spain In September - 2 posts
cantabrian anchovies - 2 posts
Satellite Dishes in North West Spain - 2 posts
La Cala de Mijas Feria - 2 posts
For the information of all AIFOS's Creditors - 6 posts
Can i find out when my repposesion hearing will be? - 3 posts
Looking for used large lhd panel van - 0 posts
Car Hire for August - 3 posts
For all ex army guys A look at Irish Special forces - 0 posts
RHD spanish reg audi for sale - 0 posts
Question for Maria - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x