Moving to Marbella in october !!!!!!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jul 2011 10:21 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Luckily you are getting advice from people who are actually living in Spain so really know what is happening there.  And i too understand that Unemployment is a very big issue.  There are alot of people out there who are desperate to get any job and they probably speak Spanish too.

All i know is that whenever i visit Spain (not enough) it is getting very expensive these days and, at best comparable, with the UK if you shop carefully.  It seems to no longer be the cheap holiday destination that it once was.

Please heed the warnings it may save you a significant amout of money and upset.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2011 10:27 AM by fultond Star rating in Haywards Heath & Tor.... 242 posts Send private message

Personally I wouldn't give up on the idea if I was you, but I also wouldn't go out there without a means of earning. Maybe just do more research and investigate work opportunities from the UK. Take some short breaks out there chasing up any leads you develop. If you can pull it off I'm sure it will be worth it.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2011 11:00 AM by boyjohn Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I am not negative, I love Spain, but what you propose is madness, even if you choose to bin Marbella, and go rural, you will find, tiling work even harder to find, schools will be further apart, (it is unlikely all the children will be in the same school) and the more rural you go, the less the locals will speak English. All of this will add to an sense of isolation, if not desparation. Be thankful that other people are taking the time to advise you, in this day and age most people don't give a toss what misfortune affects other people, I do feel the advice given here, ought to be heeded. You may think times are tough in Britain, and that life is better in Spain, well you are right on both counts, or at least you would be, if it were not the fact of jobs, schooling, language and lack of a large pot of money to fall back on. Best of luck in all your endeavours, have a great holiday in Spain, but for God's sake forget it !

Like 0      
05 Jul 2011 11:09 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Work may be difficult to come by, but you can try the following websites:

www.infojobs.net

www.surinenglish.com

www.monster.es

www.ambientjobs.com

It may be easier for you both to find work in Gibraltar and maybe live in the Duquesa area or manilva

As for property for rent you can try:

www.malagapisos.net

www.trovitcasas.com

www.surinenglish.com

Good luck,

Joan

Like 0      
05 Jul 2011 12:27 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

Well seeing as the job and of course the money are the main thing.

Line up a very solid well paying and stable job before you come and all the rest will fall into place.

Dosent matter if school fees are 30k euros a year and rent is 20k euros a year and food is 150 a week or 500 a week if you have a stable solid contract for work.

Dosent matter if you are moving to marbella and paying 2500 a month rent or coin and paying 1000 a month if you have very well paid job.

Sure the construction industry is at a 40 year low and they are struggling to eat.
Sure many people are struggling to make ends meet here.
Sure a well paid job in spain is 1100euros a month.
Sure the corruption is so rife that the spanish try at every turn to rip you off.
Sure the english expats are like parasites trying to suck money out of you to just try and feed themselves.

But rents are at an all time low and its about living the spanish dream right?

Go for it.
Whats the worst that can happen?

You lose all you money and end up destute and had to go back to the uk.
At least you had a few month in the sun

Like 0      
05 Jul 2011 1:07 PM by camille Star rating in West Yorkshire & Her.... 121 posts Send private message

camille´s avatar

We looked into moving to Costa Blanca but the main deciding factor was our Son (now 13) we simply couldn't afford his schooling without relying on a secure income & as we aren't fluent in Spanish we would really struggle. The idea of moving to Spain is now on the back burner.

We did buy an apartment which we are very lucky to use around 10 weeks in the year & continue working our butts off in the UK untill our Son is old enough to be let free in the big wide world (oh God that could be never lol) allowing us to enjoy our retirement in Spain without the worry of schooling & employment.

I think you have to research, research then research some more as the cost of living can be done a very tight budget however I want to LIVE not just get by so wouldn't suit me. I'm sure your  'fact finding' holiday will answer a lot of your questions.

Good Luck

Like 0      
05 Jul 2011 3:27 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

Tileman

Enjoy your holiday but make sure you leave your Rose tinted spectacles at home

The weather can get you down Imagine tiling in 35 degrees celcius it drains you nice for a holiday but working In the CDS is completely different

A very wise man told me over a beer actually in Cabapino near Marbella make your money where its easiest you can then spend it where you want 

He used to open his bar in May close it in early october and dissapear to South America 

Regards Rod

Like 0      
08 Jul 2011 8:31 AM by HLE Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

One thing you might consider is moving to Gibraltar. Not only are there more jobs available in an English speaking environment, you also would get free schooling in the UK system that you know and understand. 

We moved here 6 years ago with 3 children and no work. We were lucky enough that my husband quickly found work in Gibraltar but we put our 3 children into an International School and paid out thousands in fees. We now are Gibraltar residents enjoying the free schooling and lower taxes. 

Don't be too put off by all the negative comments but do look carefully at your options. My advice would be to definately only rent initially until you know exactly where you wish to live, consider Gibraltar as a realistic option and watch out for anyone trying to get you to invest in any of their schemes. 

Like 0      
08 Jul 2011 10:58 AM by MattressCleaning Star rating in FUENGIROLA. 106 posts Send private message

Hi, 

I sent you a message regarding tiling work with someone who can tell you more on that.

regarding work for PA & secretary's I'd agree with HLE as gibraltar is always advertising for people in that field. 

ryan

Like 0      
08 Jul 2011 3:29 PM by tileman007 Star rating in Herts UK. 6 posts Send private message

tileman007´s avatar

A big thank you to HLE and mattress cleaning

a bit more positive reply is all i was after you know options like try gib instead of the miserable replies everyone one else gave !!!!

i'll be out on the 20th of this month so will see what i can turn up then.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2011 3:52 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Sorry Tileman if you thought the other replies, including mine, were "miserable". People are only trying to tell you the reality of the matter.  Yes, try Gibraltar. 

But remember you DID say you wanted to come and live in MARBELLA.  And the answers were based on what you said/asked.

Anyhow, good luck with verything

Patricia

Like 0      
08 Jul 2011 5:58 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Yes, and with a bit of luck you will be able to get a two bed (and not a one bed) apartment for £1,000 per month - although you will get free schooling for your children, which will save you over €30,000 per year.

Sorry to be 'miserable' but I as a parent I find it incredible that you would think to move here (anywhere on the Costa) without jobs with three children to school.

But just my view.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2011 6:19 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Sorry, I'm going to have to be miserable again, but have you seen the price of property in Gibraltar?  You'd be hard pushed to get a half decent 3 bed appartment or house for anything less than £2000 per month.

And would you really want your kids living right next door to one of the biggest oil refineries in Europe?

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2011 6:52 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

I agree Gib is very expensive and claustraphobic and the Spanish crank up the smell from the refinery just to pee off the Gibraltans and La Linea is full off the worst spanish familys sent there by Franco

Its always better to have the truth on anything like this

Tileman is lucky he spoke to us and not an estate agent

Regards Miserable Rod

Like 0      
08 Jul 2011 7:28 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

rod:

I agree Gib is very expensive and claustraphobic and the Spanish crank up the smell from the refinery just to pee off the Gibraltans

It's the stuff that you can't smell from the refinery that worries me!!

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Free Paella - 3 posts
Is American Idol an "Operacion Triunfo" ripoff? - 0 posts
best Paella in Madrid? - 0 posts
Hard times for Brit expats and visitors... - 28 posts
A RESTAURATEUR’S EYE ON FORUMS. - 3 posts
A RESTAURATEUR’S EYE ON FORUMS. - 16 posts
House for rent in uk??? - 0 posts
Taxis from Malaga to Fuengirola - 3 posts
Hello - 1 posts
Message for Justin - 13 posts
Give up or Fight - 0 posts
ornge speaking - 0 posts
Comment Only - 6 posts
International Art and Crafts Market in Duquesa Castle - 0 posts
Privately owned van going to England 13th July, will consider any legal goods as part load for reasonable contribution to fuel costs - 1 posts
Missing person: Mary-Anne Goossens - FOUND ALIVE!! - 7 posts
Portable Aircon Unit - 2 posts
POPPIE (Protection of Property Purchased in Europe) - a new association - 4 posts
POPPIE (Protection of Property Purchased in Europe) – a new association - 0 posts
Hooray, I have got my deposit back - Thanks to Costaluz Lawyers - 9 posts
palmera properties - 2 posts
Are total block to view hedges around communal pools legal - 11 posts
Babysitter wanted! - 2 posts
Clients care job in Algeciras - 0 posts
Which Telephone Company In Spain??? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x