Moving to Marbella in october !!!!!!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jul 2011 12:00 AM by tileman007 Star rating in Herts UK. 6 posts Send private message

tileman007´s avatar

Hello

We have been visiting Marbella every year for last 15 years and really love the place .we are looking to rent a place in marbella area or anywhere around that area. we are coming over with 4 children aged 12,10,8 and 6

i know you have heard this all before but we really do love the lifestyle in spain and relaxed way of life and an outdoors life for the children.

Only stumbling block at the moment would be that neither me nor my wife have lined up any work yet.

i am a 20 year served floor and wall tiler and my wife is a qualified PA / secretary.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where i might find this sort of work at all ?

We have no mortgage in the uk so we plan to rent out the house for at least a year and that income would cover the rent in marbella

about £1000 per month so we would only need to earn money to live.

Any advice would be appreciated

Paul

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 4:28 PM by Kenny Ackers Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

Kenny Ackers´s avatar

Nice one paul,

"One life live it"

A friend of mine is doing the same renting his house out and trying Spain for a bit

He does have income also in the form of pensions so he has financial freedom in the way of passive income.

You may struggle a bit if you do not have a nest egg with 4 children, can't see a grand a month going anywhere in Marbella.

Question -" how do you become a millionaire in Spain?

Answer " start off as a multi millionaire" lol

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 5:05 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

It is a slight stumbling job not having a job in a place with between 50% and 80% unemployment.

Definelty get a job before you come or just think like is for living  so do it and rember you are taking a risk.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 5:34 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Does anyone have any ideas as to where i might find this sort of work at all ?

Germany?

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 7:37 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi Paul, do you and/or your children speak Spanish? This is a very important point, not only in looking for work, but for your childrens schooling. Personally, at least for the 12 year old, I would think twice about putting him/her in a Spanish school if they did not speak the language - in which case you are looking at about €14,000 pa in school fees just for one child.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 7:48 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Paul:

Please do think very carefully and then think again before making this move.  If it were just you and your wife, well, you could try it out.  But you have four children.  You will need a sizeable home fr six people.

As another poster mentioned, you will have huge difficulty in finding work, at least at the present time. 

Patricia

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 8:54 PM by tileman007 Star rating in Herts UK. 6 posts Send private message

tileman007´s avatar

thanks for the feedback guys !!!

however i was thinking maybe there are english builders, maintenance companies bathroom and kitchen fitters etc that might be able to push work my way also are those fees u quoted for international schools realistic 14000 euro per terms sounds a bit steep to me !

i know now is maybe not a good time but what with the economy here in uk a bit unstable i would rather be unstable but in the sun too !!!

we have some savings and like i said no mortgage on existing house so would just need living money.

Are things really that bad in marbella thought a lot of brits still have property there that need work doing on them still an affluent area so to speak.

we are coming on holiday for a month from 20th july so are hiring a car and checking out places to live anyway and may have an ask around a bit more about the chances of finding a job there

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 8:58 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

so ideally 5 bedroom house or 4 in marbella

unless you want to live in some run down complex you are looking at minimum 2500 euros a month and that will be just blah..

2 cars? throw another 15k euros in but most poeple rent at start so throw in a good 1500euros a month summer if the have any and 600 winter.
shopping for 2 adults and 4 bin lids? 2000 euro a month minimum.
Myself and my wife are on a diet and can burn through 150 euros in a week just on food and household if we dont shop carefully

A year to find a job in this economic climate and that could involve a commute into gib every day so only one of you can work with 4 kids.

Set aside about 6000 euros a month so x 12 so have about 72000 euros min in savings.

Not wishing to put you off at all but people are struggling to make ends meet in spain and its reverse migration to the uk at the moment.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 9:10 PM by tileman007 Star rating in Herts UK. 6 posts Send private message

tileman007´s avatar

I was once told not to surround myself with negative people because you can become negative also !!!!!

houses for long term lets seem to be in the £1000 a month mark not 2500 like stated albeit a half hour drive from marbella perhaps ojen or coin for instance.

And without wishing to be rude but we in the uk only spend about £150 a week on food for six of us so think your food estimate is way out also.

like i say i have been to marbella again only in feb this year and food prices are about the same if not a tad lower than the uk.

the only thing that concerns at the moment is jobs but i am sure i will find out a bit more in end of july 

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 9:23 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Paul, our son has just finished (MYP1 / Y7) and the fees are about €4000 per term - maybe I exaggerated a little to take into account school trips, uniform, etc.

It's not about negativity, it's about reality. You asked for advice, you got it, some from people who have done it. We are just three of us and I think the figures quoted are quite realistic.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 9:41 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Tileman:

I think people are only trying to give you a realistic outlook.  You are right to come over for a month and check things out.  July may not be the best time for checking out stuff, as it is a holiday month.  

Certainly do try places that are inland from Marbella.

The others are right, Tileman. People are returning to the U.K. because they simply cannot make a living in Spain.

Construction work is at a standstill, and there are many Spanish people in your line of business. 

However, it is your choice, and only you can decide for yourself and your family. 

All the best

Patricia

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 9:48 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

This is what Justin had to say in a recent article:

"Savings, who needs savings?

Moving is expensive. Moving to another country is even more expensive. There are always extra costs that you never imagined that creep out of nowhere. Being in a foreign country, often with no access to other family and friends, you are totally dependent on what you have saved up to keep you going until you get to that first pay day.

And that first pay day can often be quite far away, especially if you come out looking for a job or to set up a business.

Budget for at least two years worth of outgoing before you come out.

We ran out of money after just 4 months, even though my original sums showed we’d be fine for the first year with no income. Either I’m rubbish at maths or we spent too much.

It happens, so budget for two years, be pessimistic in your calculations and that will buy you enough time to get settled and find work."

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 10:05 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Actually, tileman, I think your avatar may be indicative of how much you actually respect any advice you receive on this forum - is it all just a wind-up?
Thankfully, now removed!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 04/07/2011.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 10:08 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Hear hear,  Pitby!!

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 10:20 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

Hang on here

The title of the thread is

i gave you prices for marbella because it said

Coin is a completely different ball game ansd things are much cheaper but your thread was moving to marbella.

Maybe you do spend 150 pound a week but the supermarkets and shops in MARBELLA are more expensive.

In COIN they are definelty cheaper and you can go rural with the spanish and buy from the farmers markets.

If you ask for advice about

and then tell me its not true because in COIN the prices are different then i cant be of much help.

you say we are negative but you arent the one that watched hundreds of people come here over the last few years with a few pound and leave with nothing.
I have fed people because they have no money when the dream went sour.

Negative or realist, you choose your words either way you want.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 10:31 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Tileman:

I was once told not to surround myself with negative people because you can become negative also !!!!!

Sounds like you'll fit in well in Spain.  The Spanish have a habit of burying their heads in the sand when faced with any problems.

I don't think you appreciate how bad things are on the Costa del Sol.  In this part of Spain, it is the equivalent to the 1930s Great Depression in the US.  You could say it's even worse because unemployment in Malaga province is 33%, whereas in Depression era America it only hit 25%.

I don't know how you could possibly support 4 kids on the salaries you'd likely get if you were lucky enough to get jobs.  1000 euros per month is the typical salary in Spain and permanent contracts are very rare.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 10:33 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

And i said 2000 euros a month on shopping.

You just mentioned i was wrong because you only spend 150 a week on food.

So your children will run round barefoot/?

They will wear bin bags to school?

You will not buy bottled water, mosquito killers, expensive sun lotion and will not replace your own clothes when they go threadbare?

Positive is great and we are trying to help you wether you think we are.

York Shopping outllet in uk i pay 60 pounds for a sweater, that exact same sweater in the same chain in spain is 125 euros.

I included all that in the shoppig bills but you picked out the food bit.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2011 10:33 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

And i said 2000 euros a month on shopping.

You just mentioned i was wrong because you only spend 150 a week on food.

So your children will run round barefoot/?

They will wear bin bags to school?

You will not buy bottled water, mosquito killers, expensive sun lotion and will not replace your own clothes when they go threadbare?

Positive is great and we are trying to help you wether you think we are.

York Shopping outllet in uk i pay 60 pounds for a sweater, that exact same sweater in the same chain in spain is 125 euros.

I included all that in the shoppig bills but you picked out the food bit.

Like 0      

Back in 2007 it was 20k pounds a year for 4 children but that was about 30k euros.

http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-1041.aspx

budget maybe 30k+ on top of what i said.

so if they are saying you need at least 2 years savings maybe put Euro 200`000 aside for a family of six to live for 2 years.

On a positive note there is 0 construction so that means anyone who was in construction isnt doign it anymore or leaving spain.
Which means you have less competion finding a job if the ex builders who made up a massive part of the workforce have moved onto something else or left spain out of despration.

but to be positive you have at least a 2% chance of finding enough work to earn Euro 1000 a month some months.

A B P

Always be positive and a 2% chance is really good

This message was last edited by Bigwilly on 04/07/2011.

This message was last edited by Bigwilly on 04/07/2011.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2011 8:27 AM by tileman007 Star rating in Herts UK. 6 posts Send private message

tileman007´s avatar

so all in all the advice on here is i am basically wasting my time even thinking about moving at all.

that is a shame i would have thought i may have been able to give it at least a go

thanks to everyone for the advice

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Free Paella - 3 posts
Is American Idol an "Operacion Triunfo" ripoff? - 0 posts
best Paella in Madrid? - 0 posts
Hard times for Brit expats and visitors... - 28 posts
A RESTAURATEUR’S EYE ON FORUMS. - 3 posts
A RESTAURATEUR’S EYE ON FORUMS. - 16 posts
House for rent in uk??? - 0 posts
Taxis from Malaga to Fuengirola - 3 posts
Hello - 1 posts
Message for Justin - 13 posts
Give up or Fight - 0 posts
ornge speaking - 0 posts
Comment Only - 6 posts
International Art and Crafts Market in Duquesa Castle - 0 posts
Privately owned van going to England 13th July, will consider any legal goods as part load for reasonable contribution to fuel costs - 1 posts
Missing person: Mary-Anne Goossens - FOUND ALIVE!! - 7 posts
Portable Aircon Unit - 2 posts
POPPIE (Protection of Property Purchased in Europe) - a new association - 4 posts
POPPIE (Protection of Property Purchased in Europe) – a new association - 0 posts
Hooray, I have got my deposit back - Thanks to Costaluz Lawyers - 9 posts
palmera properties - 2 posts
Are total block to view hedges around communal pools legal - 11 posts
Babysitter wanted! - 2 posts
Clients care job in Algeciras - 0 posts
Which Telephone Company In Spain??? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x