Online Translations

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 May 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

Unless one is as fluent in a second language as a native might be, which I am not, it is difficult to tell which online translation service is the most accurate: Yahoo’s babel fish or Google Translate.

I tried the latter on a naturalised Latvian and she said it was useless. It would seem then that online translations, whilst useful, still have a little way to go.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
23 May 2011 9:19 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

Both online translation services produce equally useless results.  Sometimes the Spanish text can be understood if a bit of effort is made.  Other times, if you don't understand the original, it is impossible to understand the translation.

For proof, try them the other way around.  That is, use the translators to translate good Spanish into English.  Not much better.  As you say, they still have a long way to go.

Like 0      
23 May 2011 10:20 AM by crostrad Star rating. 92 posts Send private message

I didn't trust the translation results that I was getting from online services - on one occasion I signed off an email to our lawyer with what I thought was an apt spanish phrase-only to have her reply that she hadn't actually been ill lately -but thanks anyway for the get well soon message.

I signed up for a trial version of PROMT and liked it enough to get the cheapest paid for version, which at the time was in the $60 bracket--this was over 6 years ago-so no idea what it will cost now-or if they still offer a "try it and see if you like it" version

Probably for crucial documents it's safest to hire a human translator rather than rely on machine translation-which does have it's limits

H'ast thou the Bisto ?   ( part of the punch line to a very funny but very rude Bernard Manning joke about 2 OAPs from Yorkshire on their first Spanish self catering holiday)

Like 0      
23 May 2011 10:51 AM by lavge Star rating in Granada. 19 posts Send private message

To use on-line translations for anything than entertainment or get a general idea about a text is really not recommended. Often a word in one language can translate into several different things in another and an on-line translator will not look at the context to choose the right one.

Like 0      
23 May 2011 1:48 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I do think it helps if one is thoughtful about one's choice of words. For example:

"Hey, army-candy; wotcha know and wotcha up to these days? I got a quickie from our Joey who says you're run off your feet and up the flippin' wall but aren't we all. Keep your chins up, girl!. Your bessie mate.

- better ...  

"Dear Carol. Let me know how you are. I received a letter from my brother. Joe. He tells me you are very busy. Here in Spain we are also busy. We wish you well. Your friend   ******"

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

Like 0      
23 May 2011 3:20 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

I use google translate for most difficult situations negotiating with Doctors, (something we have had to do a lot quite lately after Summers accident) Vets garage mechanics etc., and then examine closely the result.

Some knowledge of Spanish at O level helps and Summer always checks out the grammatical sense of what we are trying to say and tweaks the translation as necessary.

I find it helps when using the translation service to use the KISS principle...Keep it Simple, Short Sentences.

Also when dealing with situations such as these, ask the person providing the information to write down what he is suggesting; that way nothing gets lost in the rapid fire, machine gun Spanish conversation. Its far easier to understand written Spanish than something that comes at you with the speed of a Gatling gun...

fb 

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
25 May 2011 11:06 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

We like Tradukka.com

A Spanish friend also uses it and although it´s not perfect, is much closer than others.

Irene

Like 0      
26 May 2011 1:54 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

I bought a bottle of universal fertilizer the other day, here's the english instructions as printed on the bottle.

Use and Doses, A dose for 1/2 liter of water. To turn the bottle and to spill on the watering-can.  To apply the mixture in irrigation or to pulverize.

Now where on earth did they get that translation from I wonder?

It's all good fun.

Take care, Febe

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
26 May 2011 9:14 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I just tested www.tradukka.com and it does a pretty good job.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2011 6:59 AM by chefette22 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

why not just learn spanish

Like 0      
19 Jun 2011 4:57 PM by chefette22 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

I use google translator hardley ever makes amistake

Like 0      
19 Jun 2011 9:38 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

A much mixed response I am afraid. I tried the three on a lady friend who speaks fluent Latvian, Russian and German. She isn't pedantic; nor did she expect preciseness but she told me the translations, by all three, didn't make much sense when translated into those languages. So there you go - still a little way to go.

Like 0      
19 Jun 2011 11:36 PM by chefette22 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

oh well do what u like i speak fluent spanish so i know google does it best suppose you will just havve to pay someone loadsa cash your choice im outa here fed up helpin

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 7:37 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

It’s all very well saying learn Spanish but let’s be honest, many aren’t that good at expressing themselves in their own language. Website content of many UK firms is pitiable; as though written by a 12-year old who hasn’t been paying attention. Other than that, is there a need to learn Spanish?

Throughout Mediterranean Spain those who make an effort to learn Spanish are constantly disappointed when their attempts to communicate are rejected: “it’s alright; we speak English.’ It is very frustrating.  I recall one lady saying: “If you moved to Wales you wouldn’t learn Welsh would you?”

I recall a story in one of the UK’s newspapers: A journalist visiting the Sol noticed a couple of old dears struggling through a menu. Thinking they were on holiday he leaned across and asked if he might help. They got chatting and he then learned that both had lived in Spain for over fifteen years. Amusing episodes aside, should we expect visitors to Spain to learn Spanish? That would sure kill off the tourist trade, which is so important to what’s left of the Spanish economy.  

Learning Spanish would be recommended if you were to relocate to other than the Costas; the fact is that the language we know as English is an international language spoken by over 1 billion people; very few of them are British. I suppose it is one of the few rewards of being British or Irish.

Less than half this number speaks a form of Spanish, which is anyway confined mostly to rarely visited Central and Southern America. Wherever one goes in the world people of all nationalities, for their own purposes and benefit, speak English. I have heard many foreigners speak better English than those who are native to the UK and Ireland. Many expats refuse to learn Spanish as the only time they ever need to is during the occasional visit to their doctor, who can likely speak English but refuses to do so. It seems we English speakers can't win. When in England it was difficult to find a doctor who could speak English.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 11:25 AM by chefette22 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Spanish is the widest spoken language in the world learn it if you live in spain it will really make your life so much better

oh soz would need a bit of effort silly me

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 11:32 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

chefette,

English is the most widely spoken language in the world (mainly because it's the official language of the USA).  You should consider learning it.  It would make your life so much better.

Oh sorry.  That would need a bit of effort.  Silly me.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 11:53 AM by chefette22 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

OH NO ITS NOT MOST SPOKEN CHINESE WIDEST SPOKEN SPANISH SECOND WIDEST ENGLISH GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT MATE

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 11:54 AM by chefette22 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

OH AND IF YOU HADNT NOTICED I DO ENGLISH TOO

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 12:37 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

You call this English?

oh well do what u like i speak fluent spanish so i know google does it best suppose you will just havve to pay someone loadsa cash your choice im outa here fed up helpin

God help us. For you to be boasting of your language ability is laughable; you clearly haven’t mastered English yet. Perhaps you are Spanish and your second language is English.  If so you haven't mastered it at all.  If you can speak Spanish I will put money on it that you didn’t learn it at a language school. You would have been advised to learn English before commencement.

An estimated 1.8bn people can get by in the English language. The Spanish language is spoken by just 500m and largely confined to the Spanish speaking peoples of Spain and Latin America. Spanish speakers are outnumbered almost four times by English speakers.

The English language is universal and recognized as the global international language of business. Try getting by in Mandarin outside of China. It is why our fellow Europeans, including the Spanish (and Mandarin speakers) tend to regard English as the most practical second language.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2011 12:54 PM by chefette22 Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

I WASNT BOASTING BUT STATING A FACT UNLIKE YOUR GOODSELF SPOUTING RUBBISH MAY THE LORD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL BECAUSE I WOULD'NT

OH AND THIS POST IS ABOUT TRANSLATIONS SO YOU SHOULD LEARN TO READ TOO

This message was last edited by chefette22 on 20/06/2011.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

British GP Doctor - 1 posts
Am I on this planet? - 1 posts
Report on the Welfare State in Spain - 3 posts
fan about to be hit - 0 posts
does anyone ever get a reply from do you spain? - 14 posts
NEW BUS SERVICE FROM ALICANTE TO TORREVIEJA - 10 posts
administrators and community accounts - 1 posts
New Alicante airport - 2 posts
advice needed - 4 posts
bus sevice - 0 posts
Talking of Internet Connections - 1 posts
Most Popular Radio Station? - 0 posts
Want an old non functioning small satellite dish CDS - 1 posts
Andalucia, dangerous dogs. - 2 posts
Conjugation practice - 2 posts
Link - 1 posts
How to put a photo on a blog?? Help!! - 4 posts
Anyone know of a good car painter in or around Fuengirola - 4 posts
Anyone returning to the uk from costa del sol - 2 posts
Gas appliances and flues? - 1 posts
car swap - 4 posts
living and working in spain - 15 posts
Damage From Earthquake - 5 posts
working from home - 0 posts
Kindle in Spain - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 74

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x