Report on the Welfare State in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 May 2011 12:00 AM by ruth Star rating in on a hill in rural L.... 117 posts Send private message

I hope a copy of this report has been sent to Josefina Cruz, Minister for Public Works and Planning.  I hope too that she makes time to read it and learn from it.

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2011/05/22/an-unfair-welfare-state-in-spain/

ruth

Like 0      
22 May 2011 10:03 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

What are you implying? The welfare state provides cover in case you need it. There is no refund if you don't need it. That's the Insurance angle. Those who want everything privatised really need to consider the downside!

Like 0      
23 May 2011 10:13 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

It is true that there is the perception that many immigrants come to Spain only to use the Health Care System they do not have in their country of origin, but in fact those immigrants that have a job make more contributions to Social Security than the benefits they obtain. The perception is perhaps due to the general publicity the press gives to those situations where immigrants are coming for treatment of maladies diagnosed at home.  By Law anyone coming to the emergency services at public hospitals must be treated and many immigrants make use of this.  The public and the press do tend to forget that many more are at work and making contributions to the system.

Like the article suggests the shortfall could be due to lack of information to immigrants of the benefits available or it could be that, like insurance, as a group, they do not need to make use of the benefits.  All of this is probably true in many European countries and certainly it is true in the US.

Like 0      
23 May 2011 10:23 AM by ruth Star rating in on a hill in rural L.... 117 posts Send private message

I’m not implying anything, Marc. I’m suggesting that if Josefina Cruz, the Spanish Minister who made the discriminatory remarks about problems in the property market being caused by illegal deeds of expatriates, were to take on board facts about the positive effects of immigration boosting their economy, she wouldn’t make such ill-founded and grossly insulting remarks.

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/realestate/5336/brits-lodge-criminal-complaint-for-discrimination-against-member-of-andalucian-government.aspx

That's all.

ruth

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

fan about to be hit - 0 posts
does anyone ever get a reply from do you spain? - 14 posts
NEW BUS SERVICE FROM ALICANTE TO TORREVIEJA - 10 posts
administrators and community accounts - 1 posts
New Alicante airport - 2 posts
advice needed - 4 posts
bus sevice - 0 posts
Talking of Internet Connections - 1 posts
Most Popular Radio Station? - 0 posts
Want an old non functioning small satellite dish CDS - 1 posts
Andalucia, dangerous dogs. - 2 posts
Conjugation practice - 2 posts
Link - 1 posts
How to put a photo on a blog?? Help!! - 4 posts
Anyone know of a good car painter in or around Fuengirola - 4 posts
Anyone returning to the uk from costa del sol - 2 posts
Gas appliances and flues? - 1 posts
car swap - 4 posts
living and working in spain - 15 posts
Damage From Earthquake - 5 posts
working from home - 0 posts
Kindle in Spain - 12 posts
will I get healthcare? - 2 posts
south of Spain Help - 11 posts
LFO - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x