Anyone know how to write a possessive pronoun in Spanish?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 May 2011 12:00 AM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

Firstly I'm not 100% sure that this is actually a "possessive pronoun" but after 20 mins pulling my hair out on google it's about the closest I can get!

Example:

I want to say  "John's team"  in spanish 

in english we write "John's"  as opposed to "johns"  (the apostrophe tells us it's "belonging to" John)

So in spanish I know we can't say  "Juan's equipo"

Online translators suggest it might be "equipo de Juan" but I need to be sure!

Any guidance appreciated.. Pat 

Like 0      
11 May 2011 12:55 PM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

sorry should have also said, I could also do with knowing how to write..

John's dreamteam
or
John's dream team
or
John's dream-team

whichever is the most appropriate form in spanish

Gracias, te lo agradezco 

This message was last edited by growler on 11/05/2011.

Like 0      
11 May 2011 1:06 PM by leothelion Star rating in Alhama de Murcia. 9 posts Send private message

You are correct, as there is no apostrophe in Spanish you have to say 'the team of John' ie.  el equipo de Juan

Like 0      
11 May 2011 1:07 PM by georgeh Star rating in condado de alhama sp.... 1462 posts Send private message

El equipo de los suenos de john.

Like 0      
11 May 2011 2:07 PM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

thanks for that leo and snake..

yes I since found the dreamteam bit (equipo de los sueños) so I fear my plan may be scuppered  ;O(

Just to explain, this needs to go onto a customised football shirt emblem.

If I pick my all time best 11 barcelona players (for example), then it might say "Pat's Barca Dreamteam", but to supply the same thing to our friend Jaun in Spain "Barca el equipo de los sueños de Juan" ... just seems a bit of a mouthful!

I know lots of us brits make the same mistake of wishing we could directly translate stuff, so I guess it's back to the drawing board for me..

Any fresh or awe-inspiring alternatives would be greatly appreciated  ;O)

Like 0      
11 May 2011 4:38 PM by leothelion Star rating in Alhama de Murcia. 9 posts Send private message

If you want it for a T-shirt slogan you could put    'Barca el equipo de sus sueños'

meaning 'Barca the Team of your Dreams'

Like 0      
11 May 2011 7:45 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Juan sueña con el Barca ( I would say)

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
11 May 2011 11:08 PM by ILostMySensaHuma Star rating. 87 posts Send private message

OK

Dream team means the best 11 players (in football and cricket) regardless of their team or nationality. 

So I did a quick look on google.es searching for the best possible team and found "ONCE IDEAL" (literally ideal 11) which I think fits your bill.

So the logo for Pat's dream team should be "El once ideal de Pat".  Obviously you can use Roman numerals to shorten it to "El XI ideal de Pat".  ONCE means eleven in Spanish.

Maria's suggestion restrict's the dream team to Barca...

Hope this helps

Like 0      
12 May 2011 3:02 AM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

"Dream team means the best 11 players (in football and cricket) regardless of their team or nationality."

Not in this case ILMSH.. the product (see typical uk sample below) will have only the chosen teams kit printed on it thus it needs to be same team but players names could be anyone past, present or bespoke (you could even line up next to Maradona yourself!). The required sample needs to be for Barcelona in any case, hence the need for the spanish language phrase to customise it for any client. 

Also, as this particular concept in UK always uses the word "Dreamteam" it's spanish equivalent needs to relate as closely as possible to this. 

A search for "dreamteam" on google.co.uk shows over 13 million hits compared to the following counts for searches on google.es - 

"el equipo de sus sueños" sounds good to me (thanks leo) but only got 70,500 hits
"el equipo de los sueños" gave 131,000 hits
"sueña con el Barca" (thanks Maria) gave 126,000 hits

I'm even more confused now.. but thanks anyway and keep them coming! 

Incidentally, for anyone familiar with Barcelona players past and present the team going on the sample will consist of;
Zubizaretta, Alves, Barjuan, Puyol, Nadal, Kubala, Stoichkov, Cruyff, Romario, Maradona, Messi.

This message was last edited by growler on 12/05/2011.

This message was last edited by growler on 12/05/2011.

Like 0      
12 May 2011 9:42 AM by TP1 Star rating in Milton Keynes and Ca.... 161 posts Send private message

Possessive pronoun in Spanish?  ... i can't even write it in English

Like 0      
13 May 2011 10:47 AM by ILostMySensaHuma Star rating. 87 posts Send private message

Stick to my suggestion!  If you search on google.es for ONCE IDEAL, you will get over a million hits.  Try this website for Barca's dream teams of the decade, ever, from La Liga...  You will even see XI ideal...

http://11ideal.sport.es/11ideal.asp 

In fact just put the search into Google UK and you will get over 24 million results!

Like 0      
02 Jul 2011 7:07 AM by cleaners Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

You are correct, as there is no apostrophe in Spanish you have to say 'the team of John' ie.  el equipo de Juan.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2011 12:43 PM by Sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Sneezey´s avatar

You could use

mi / tu / su / nuestro /  vuestro / su  = my / your(singular) / his, her, it's your (formal singular) / our / your (plural) / their, your (formal plural) 

e.g  mi equipo = my team

and to confuse you even more!!!!!

mio / tuyo/ suyo /nuestro /  vuestro / suyo =  mine/ yours / his, hers, yours(formal/polite,singular) / ours/ yours (plural)/ theirs, yours(formal polite plural) 

Like 0      
12 Jul 2011 6:53 PM by dennis_partridge Star rating in UK now but ten years.... 9 posts Send private message

growler - on your original point, have you considered whether it is necessary to translate "dream team"?  All languages import phrases from other languages and translating phrases word for word often doesn't work and can produce nonsenses.  Futbol is itself an imported word.  No-one would consider using pelota a pie.  Out of curiosity,  I tried online translators and they all came back with "el dream team".  I also tried a Spanish language search and came up with a Wikipedia historia del CF Barcelona (1990 - 2000) which referred to the 1992 European Cup winning team of Koeman, Guardiola, Stoichkov, Zubizarreta, Laudrup, Romario and the rest as "despliega un fútbol bello, rápido, efectivo por lo que es denominado el "Dream Team" del fútbol."  Any native Spanish speaker interested enough to buy a shirt will understand the phrase dream team.

Sneezey - sorry to be pedantic but the first block in your post are not pronouns.  They are possessive adjectives.  The second block are possessive pronouns (pronouns being words that stand instead of a noun; adjectives being words that describe a noun).  But growler wasn't after either.  He was interested in the possessive apostrophe.  Yes, I know.  Sorry about that but old TEFL teachers never die; they just go on to bore 'em on every forum.

Like 0      
12 Jul 2011 7:59 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Also known as "balonpié" (or balompié) as in:

Real Betis Balompié

Like 0      
12 Jul 2011 9:58 PM by ILostMySensaHuma Star rating. 87 posts Send private message

Listen to the professor!

Online translators simply give up when they don't know a word and return the same words!  True Dream Team comes back as 'Dream team' but I wonder how many hits you get on that on Google.es?

The same translator returns Drewm Equipo when you mistype Dream Team as Drewm Team.  See what I mean!

Spanish Wikipedia has an article on the US basketball Dream Team of 1992 and there are articles about Johan Cruyff's Barcelona dream team. (el equipo de ensueño).

However, Stick with Once ideal or XI Ideal and you won't go far wrong.

As for Tuyo, Mio, Suyo etc.  These equate to Mine/yours/his/ours/theirs in English.  Just as English wouldn't say mine house, so the Spanish would not say mia casa.  They would say mi casa.

Claro que si.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Apple iMac For sale - 3 posts
iberdrola in pilar horadada - 10 posts
Guitar for Sale - 1 posts
Barclay Capital's view of the Property Roadshow of the Spanish Ministry of Public Works - 0 posts
WHAT ARE THE FINES FOR NOT SUBMITTING TAX RETURN - 4 posts
Declaración de la renta - 1 posts
Looking for reputable TV man to install Spanish antenna in Calahonda area - 5 posts
Cost of prescriptions - 1 posts
Delivery from England (Manchester) to Costa Blanca Villa Martin area (July) - 2 posts
Deliveries from England (Manchester) to Costa Blanca Villa Martin area - 1 posts
Renault Trafic Van For Sale - 0 posts
Tax thresholds in Spain - 2 posts
Spanish seasonal lease contract - 4 posts
Spanish Road Tax - 1 posts
Good old Green Hills - 8 posts
Changing address for car tax reminder - 2 posts
needing help with fireworks in Marbella - 1 posts
Road works near Mijas - 2 posts
Wantingto buy - 0 posts
Car Rental Question - 2 posts
Poncho's - 0 posts
IKEA Trofast childrens pine storage units - 0 posts
FRUSTRATED EX SPANISH HOUSE OWNER - 1 posts
TELEFONICA LINES TO UK - 1 posts
Thinking of moving to Villa Martin - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x