UK Road Tax and Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 May 2011 10:01 AM by chordiant Star rating in La Torre Golf Resort.... 40 posts Send private message

chordiant´s avatar

Of course you can always check to see if your vehicle is on the UK Motor Insurance Bureau database here:

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com

Best ensure that it is ONLY your own vehicle you are checking - and not someone elses....!!!

Like 0      
25 May 2011 10:50 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I think I recall clicking a link like that & being scared out of my wits by something jumping out of the screen at me so I won't bother, but thank you.

Like 0      
25 May 2011 11:07 AM by Manyarna Star rating in the UK- Heart is in .... 59 posts Send private message

I am amazed at this latest fine generating scheme that we will probably find out costs more to administer than it generates, Anyone happy to drive with no insurance will have no problem declaring a Sorn for the vehicle which halts the fine process and we know from how many untaxed UK cars are driving around in Spain the Sorn system dosent work as there are no spot checks. You cant legally check the other cars in your street under data protection!!!! and if your caught checking several your access will be denied like anyone legal needs to check their own car!!!

Would it have been better to give us an easy system to check whether a vehicle is Sorn or not.

The only good thing I see coming out of all of this is that the databases / dvla info is more availabe to all including the Gaurdia and that may make everyone sit up and get legal....eventually

Like 0      
25 May 2011 12:06 PM by drumshade Star rating in Alozaina malaga. 9 posts Send private message

why not just make car legal or buy spanish feed up hearing ex pats moan on about brit cars if you want to live here pay your way like the rest of us

Like 0      
25 May 2011 12:37 PM by chordiant Star rating in La Torre Golf Resort.... 40 posts Send private message

chordiant´s avatar

Hear! Hear!

It's about time that the Freeloaders get metriculated and start PAYING THEIR WAY, rather than dodge and dive, duck and weave to avoid paying out.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIX cars were taken away from where I live 2 weeks ago - ALL UK-registered and ALL untaxed. About a dozen other cars have removal notices on them and are just waiting to be lifted.

As for 'can't legally check other cars...under data protection' - just who the hell is going to know if anyone has checked or not..!!??

Which data protection laws - UK or Spanish?

Like 0      
25 May 2011 2:21 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I checked our 2 cars on the website and they both came back that they were on the database and insured. Just to see what happened I put in an old registration for a car that was scrapped years ago and it came back that the car was not on the database, so it looks genuine to me.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
25 May 2011 3:53 PM by chordiant Star rating in La Torre Golf Resort.... 40 posts Send private message

chordiant´s avatar

morerosado - Now you are seeing things jumping out of the screen at you - perhaps a little Paranoia creeping in?

Poppyseed - I did the same with the cars I metriculated - all showed no longer on the MID database.

Like 0      
25 May 2011 5:16 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

morerosado - Now you are seeing things jumping out of the screen at you - perhaps a little Paranoia creeping in? commented chordiant

FYI: Someone posted a totally acceptable looking link, much like the one you posted, & when members clicked on it they didn't 'spoil the surprise' (shall I say?) for the next member & it was a link that had a bloody face that screamed, it certainly was very unpleasant IMHO & I could imagine it would harm some.

If my friend Poppyseed said it's ok that's good enough for me. Thanks Poppyseed, see you on FB.

Anyway, I've just checked .. as I held my laptop as far away as possible just in case   ..& it recognised that our car's insured.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 25/05/2011.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2012 12:46 PM by kev007 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Advertising **

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 17/08/2012.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2012 4:14 AM by lehammer Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Regardless of whether you have tax or MOT, an English insurance company is obliged to pay out any 3rd party claims and that is a fact. So you can't complain about getting hit by an untaxed, unMOT'd car because their insurance will pay out anyway.

If you want to re-register your car in Spain, good for you - but mind your own and stop moaning about what everyone else does. It's none of your business!

I am half Spanish but grew up in the UK. I left the UK to get away from small minded idiots who have nothing better to do than complain about everybody else.

If you want to live in Spain, I suggest you immerse yourself in the Spanish culture. We couldn't care less about whether you've got car tax or not.

If you can't do that then go back to your little town in the UK, and take your Daily Mail with you. You're not welcome here!

Like 0      
22 Nov 2012 1:37 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

No wonder Spain is in a mess if there are more like you out there.You give Spain a bad name. What you have said is inaccurate and ignorant. Are you really saying your fellow countrymen are lawless? Perhaps you will have an accident one day, involving an illegal UK car-your words will come to haunt you.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2012 2:29 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Lehammer was less than polite but he was right.

A UK registered vehicle does not need an MOT nor a Vehicle Excise Licence to be covered by insurance.

I wil not go into the requirements of SWORN which apply in the UK but they do nlot affect insuarnec cover in Spain.  (I have checked this a number of times with several insurance brokers).

Like 0      
22 Nov 2012 2:43 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

High time the insurance companies changed their rules then. If a car has no tax, mot, and is a wreck, is involved an accident, it has no bearing on the insurance, then?  is it the same with Spanish reg?

If a car isn't legal in its country of origin, thenit isn't legal anywhere

I think you will find, that in the case of an accident, particularly in a major one. the insurance company will not pay out if the car is untaxed and no mot.

The law needs to be much clearer. Insurances companies should all  state that if there is no mot or tax the insurance is invalid;also, they .should ask the client if he is a resident, if so and hasn't re registered his UK car in Spain, refuse insurance, as the car is illegal to drive in Spain anyway.

The law in Spain is an ass ( or spanish donkey)

This message was last edited by camposol on 22/11/2012.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2012 3:11 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Camposol,  
                       Sorry but you have gone beyond what was said.

I agree, if a vehicle, which is un-roadworthy,  is involved in an accident then the insurance is invalid. That is just the same in Spain as it is in UK.

However, and we have rehearsed this argument many times in EOS, but once again.

The fact that a vehicle has a current ITV /MOT means that at the MOMENT it was tested it was roadworthy.  

It does not mean that it was roadworthy at a later time when it was involved in an accident.

If for example the lights failed immediately after the test , or say a tyre was badly damaged, then regardless of a valid cert,  it would no longer be roadworthy and the insurance would be invalid.

As for a Vehicle Excise Licence (not road fund licence nor road tax) . 

It has nothing to do with the roadworthiness of a vehicle.

It is a tax collected by the UK government, which when first introduced was to pay for the building and upkeep of road.  However, that notation was discarded many years ago.

Now it just another tax, like duty on petrol , VAT etc.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2012 6:24 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

John, what does SWORN mean?

Like 0      
22 Nov 2012 6:41 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Andy,
             Who knows, I have not lived in UK for 25 years, but I guess you are making the point that it is probably SORN or Statutory Off Road Notification, 

However,  that said, I do hope you did not miss the significant point of the post !!

Like 0      
22 Nov 2012 10:26 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

John thanks for the clarification, very kind.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2015 9:57 AM by panda31 Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

Reading these older threads it is amazing how much things have changed in just a few years.

Trying to het a UK registered kit car on to Spanish plates you learn a lot.

Although the original cost and hassle is there it is not that much unless you import a young top end car so the tax will be high but it really just means a ITV and a trip to a gastor.

The Spanish police now have the same instant information on all EU cars in their cars linked to the likes of DVLA etc so that they know your cars legal status before they pull you in.

All cars in the EU must be road legal in the country of registration and if it is not it WILL be impounded.

The road tax DISC has gone since September 2014 as it is ALL on comuters now and MUST be current.

Whilst Spanish car tax from your local town hall may not be as legal as the UK system from the DVLA it is still required and it IS an offense not to have paid it and one should not be driving a car without it.

Facts checked and verified;

If you have no MoT you are NOT insured. injured third parties are payed out and medical expenses coverd but damage to vehicles are not and you will be liable for any property damage

The ‘six month rule’ for importing a car into Spain has gone; it is now 30 DAYS before you are required to change to Spanish plates unless you ae a GENUINE TOURIST and can prove it. If you are in anyway resident in Spain, you have to comply.

Spanish cars over 25 may be tax exempt but there is a process to follow to get it ‘certified as a ‘classic’, it is NOT automatic. and as for the 'H plate for historic cars, it will cost you between 600 and 900€ including a certifiacte or originality and an engineers report to varify it is what you clain it is.

I know there will be comments from clever buggers down the pub and lounge bar lawyers as usual who know better but that is the law.

Why should I car if YOU are illigal or not, because it might just be you who slams my car and I don't get a penny to replace it or compenastion.OR WORSE.

Like 2      
17 Feb 2015 6:53 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

Ever heard of spell check?

Like 0      
18 Feb 2015 2:31 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

why oh why do people keep trying to get round teh rules and take uneccessray risk when bringing a UK registered car into Europe

If people want to bring your UK car over when you move then do the right thing and do the transfer and follow the rules - simple really and no excuse for not doing it

Declaring a vehicle SORN in the UK then driving in another country is simply stupid, criminal, negligent and mad

Like 1      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

wanted corner style sofa bed - 0 posts
Spanish Government comes to London - 10 posts
EOS in IE9 - 38 posts
moving where? - 2 posts
House or Apartment required near Malaga Airport - 4 posts
Fire safety in appartments - 0 posts
Iceland is in Vera - 5 posts
Banks - 1 posts
Picture format in HD - 3 posts
Router problem - 3 posts
Had enough now! - 17 posts
Student finance support UK - 0 posts
Those affected by Instant Acess Properties - 0 posts
Osama Bin Laden killed in Pakistan! - 4 posts
Auberge, Benijofar - 10 posts
WANTED: Seville centre(ish) appartment - Sept 2011 to June 2012 - 2 posts
Help! Bees Nest!!!! - 7 posts
Long Term Rental - Quesada - Los Montesinos - El Raso - 2 posts
Borrador - 6 posts
Over three and a half hours of The Royal Wedding, enjoy! - 0 posts
QUESTION RE SPANISH HEALTH SYSTEM - 3 posts
cd player for car needed. murcia/mazarron area. - 0 posts
It isn't just the British - 2 posts
UK couple living near Estepona Looking for friends - 0 posts
Reach the World - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 40

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x