smoking ban

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

I've heard that a smoking ban is due to be introduced from 1 January.  Anyone know anything about it?

Like 0      
03 Dec 2010 1:22 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

I have been hearing about it for years! Lets see if this time it actually happens or not!

Joan

Like 0      
03 Dec 2010 1:30 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I heard last night that it had been put back to July, I have no idea if this is correct though.

S

Like 0      
03 Dec 2010 1:42 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

What i did hear on the news today is that price of cigarettes is going up AGAIN!

Like 0      
03 Dec 2010 1:47 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Joan

Its on the BBC here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11909499

s

Like 0      
03 Dec 2010 4:00 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

lets hope the ban comes sooner rather than later?. If it stops the utter misery of watching a loved one dying through cancer it will be well worth it!

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 10:36 AM by Donna773 Star rating in Guardamar, Costa Bla.... 19 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

They've been talking about a ban for years but personally, I don't believe the nicotine-obsessed Spanish would stand for it. The government might bring one in - but I can see Spanish bar owners slipping the police a few free drinks to turn a blind eye. The one chink of light is that most expats frequent British-run bars, where a ban would be much more likely to be observed. I'm fed up with ignorant smokers lighting up while I'm in the middle of a meal! That's why I call myself Grumpy Old Gran!

www.donnagee.blogspot.com

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/donnagee.aspx

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/donnagee2.aspx

http://www.grumpyoldgran.com

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 11:08 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Yes, it's true.  The ban actually comes into effect on 2 January 2011.

The ban is in all offices, bars and restaurants and also includes things like children's parks.

Talking to some of the local bar owners, they are going to honour it (they have to) but are worried that it could affect trade.

Roll on 2nd of January!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 11:35 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Well it seems it is definitely, finally going to happen!

Taken from Sur in Enlgish article on falling Cigarette Sales in November:

"The reform of the current anti-smoking law, which is due to come into effect on 2nd January, will lead to a smoking ban in all enclosed public spaces - against the wishes of many bar and restaurant owners - as well as some outdoor spaces such as children’s parks, school playgrounds and outside health centres and hospitals."

And before anyone says anything about me being a 'health freak' or something similar, I am not! You only have to look at the amount of Alcohol I consume - lol. Seriously though, I am an ex-smoker (cor! what a combo - an ex-pat ex-smoker) and even I used to, and still do, hate it when other smokers light up on the table next to you whilst you are eating!

Does it not occur to some people who are smokers that other people who are non smokers, do not wish to smoke, passively or otherwise, whilst they eat!

There are two sides to the anti-smoking laws, and a smoker will always say that you are going against their rights in preventing them smoking. Well, nobody is preventing you from smoking, just do it in the privacy of your own home and/or car. All we are saying is that, in the safety of public health, in a restaurant, bar or public place either refrain or go outside!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 12:57 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

What a lot of sanctimonous grumbling bunch of moaners

It's because of people like yourselves with no backbone or spirit which has resulted in the nanny state (Uk / Spain) we all live in now.

My God, thank goodness our forefathers had the balls to stand up against oppresive laws and people.

And before anyone kicks of "Oh another smoker kicking back" I don't and never have, but that was my choice having started working down the coal mines at 15 I could not see the sense or reason to add more dust to my lungs.

PERSONELL CHOICE ! something that is dimnishing by the day.

And despite that I still contracted cancer and only by the grace of GOD and a dedicated surgical team and strong support for my family I have got through and am currently Cancer free.

As for goverments banning smoking it's a cop out god forbid they would criminalise Tobacco NO never that would affect the income of the country and probably no jobs for the boys.

It aint rocket science have establishments where smoking is permitted fitted with efficient extraction or separate rooms, eating establishments total ban jon sorted.

I do not condone or like people smoking while I am eating and have in the past pointed out to the offending person or persons would they mind not smoking while me and my family are eating and in 9 out of ten cases they have been considerate enough to agree. perhaps the fact that I am 6ft tall and 16 stone may have some effect on their decision.

Nanny staters who don't like smoking at all should then be able to go to premises who choose to ban it altogether, however bars who ban smoking are few and far between for a very good reason (NO PRIFIT) just like the tottaly inadequate goverment we are landed with.

VIVA La REVOLUTION.

RANT OVER

HAVE A NICE DAY ALL.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 1:00 PM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

Wish it could be extended to beaches.  I hate seeing cigarette stubs everywhere.

Jo and Jim

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 1:25 PM by Jeanie60 Star rating. 103 posts Send private message

I for will be pleased about the ban.

Especialy when we are eating, there's nothing worse than a stream of smoke heading your way.,

I think it will take a bit longer for the spanish people.

People in england are used to it now.

Jeanie.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 1:41 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

"Well, nobody is preventing you from smoking, just do it in the privacy of your own home and/or car". 

TechnoApe - why is it an offence for a car driver to use a mobile phone in a car but not to use at least one hand to smoke a cigarette?  And what can be worse for a child than to have to sit in the back seat of a car while both parents smoke in the front seats?  

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 8:53 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

"Well, nobody is preventing you from smoking, just do it in the privacy of your own home and/or car". 

TechnoApe - why is it an offence for a car driver to use a mobile phone in a car but not to use at least one hand to smoke a cigarette?  And what can be worse for a child than to have to sit in the back seat of a car while both parents smoke in the front seats?  

@jek,

Who said anything about actually driving whilst smoking, and who said anything about children being in the car at the same time!

I am just referring to the individual who wishes to express their own individual right to smoke!

As for children passive smoking, this is done at home as well as in a car. Hence why I am so 'sanctimonious' as bbbreakfast would call me, as I don't believe they have the chance to say "Mummy, Daddy - Please don't smoke as you are filling my undeveloped lungs with smoke and killing me!"

It is and offence to use a mobile phone whilst driving because you are talking to a person on the other end of the line, so unless you are talking to your cigarette it is not an offence to smoke whilst driving!

Unless of course the cigarette in question is talking back to you, in which case it is an offence - wacky or what!

@bbbreakfast,

If you smoke and wish to damage your lungs, that is your choice. If you work down the mines, and as a result you contract cancer, that is not your choice, as being Welsh, half my family worked down the mines, and quite a few have developed cancer, possibly as a direct result.

Don't call me sanctimonious, just because I am exercising my right not to breath in second hand cigarette smoke whilst I am eating or drinking.

Our forefathers fought a greater evil that, had they not won, you wouldn't even have the choice to smoke in a restaurant! And as for freedom choice, you, I and everyone else simply wouldn't have any! 

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 04/12/2010.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 10:13 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Technoape.

Freedom of choice the little we have left is exactly my point, what gives you or anyone else the right to dictate to smokers 

Choice ??? dont want second hand smoke find a pub park or restaurant that does not allow it simple but why should hard working people lose their livelyhood because others object.

My RANT was never meant to be a personell issue and I apologise if it has caused you offence.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 10:38 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Non-smokers have every right to dictate to smokers. Why should we have to stay at home rather than end up stinking of smoke and wheezing because smoke exacerbates asthma?

Non-smokers are not harming smokers - but smokers are harming non-smokers

Bring on the ban, the sooner the better!

Irene

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 11:00 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

TechnoApe - why so prickly??  And why all the nonsense about talking to your cigarette?

I was making the point that there are calls in the UK to ban car drivers from smoking while driving as it is just as much a distraction as using a mobile phone; and there are calls to ban smoking in cars when children are passengers precisely to save them from selfish parents who can't control their addiction long enough to avoid harming their children's health.  Not much the law can do to protect kids from smoking parents in the home. 

Like 0      
04 Dec 2010 11:36 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

@jek,

Me! Prickly?

The point I was making about using a mobile phone whilst driving or smoking a cigarette whilst driving being totally different is valid, all be it a little obtuse!

When you are using a mobile phone you are talking to someone on the other end, however when you are smoking you are not talking to someone! Therefore using a mobile phone whilst driving is much more distracting than smoking whilst driving.

As for smoking whilst kids are in the car, I supported you fully!

@bbbreakfat,

No offense taken and non given I hope!

No one person should dictate the life of another. Freedom of choice is freedom of the life we are now free to live, thanks to the millions who gave their lives before us!

However, the people should not suffer the consequences of one individual, selfish act!

Hmm! Methinks that last statement is a bit heavy for this time of night, so one more cerveza and of to la-la land for me!

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 04/12/2010.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 4:44 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Freedom of choice is good as long as others choices on the matter are not comprimised as is always the case with passive smoking. I think many would put up with the fog and the smell of smoking if it hadn't got such strong links to cancer, health and fitness problems and addiction. As has been said on here, if parents choose to smoke, what choice have their kids got?. I think the ban should extend to anywhere around kids even in your own house/car. If adults addiction or any other reason means they can't be trusted to be responsible, then laws need making for them, with harsh penalties if ignored.

I'd put £10.00 tax on every packet, it would save many lives and transform many thousands more. Yes, in a year or two there would be a huge reduction in tax from fags and a certain amount unemployed probably, but if we are talking money here, the amount saved to the NHS would probably be pretty big, and the the amount of suffering saved would be huge!

Like 0      
05 Dec 2010 5:13 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

As a non-smoker (for a couple of years now) I could be like the other non-smokers and suddenly become like a reformed whore, virtuous as a nun.

However, smoking in bars, outside on the patio etc never bothers me.  I do hate, and always have done, smoking in restaurants and reckon it should be banned.  I never smoked in restaurants and would (and do) avoid places where it was allowed. 

£10 on a packet of fags would simply increase the amount of criminal smuggling activity of the product.  It was really bad in UK a few years back when a packet in Spain was around £1.60.  Upping the price like that would simply make it more attractive for the smugglers.

And please don't keep saying the Spanish are brought up on it and it's a way of life.  Latest figures show that smoking among the Spanish is at around 24% which equates (roughly) to that of the UK.  The only increase in percentages (in both countries) is amongst women (risen to 31% in Spain) and the young.  And, again please, pointless bringing in costs as, whilst the NHS has recently stated that smoking costs them more than they thought (1.5 billion a year instead of previous estimates of around 650 million) the revenue of 10.5 billion brought into the UK from tobacco products far outweighs this.  Sports related injuries cost the NHS around 560 million pounds a year so should be ban them as well?  Diabetes costs the country some 3.5 billion a year so you could say the smokers are subsidising sports related injuries, diabetes treatment and smoking diseases with enough left over to treat the 5 billion quid used to treat non-smoking related cancers.  Sorry, but the economics don't add up.

Whilst I don't advocate anyone smoking and I don't agree with separate smoking areas (they don't work, unless they are totally separate, ie a different place not a different room) I can see the point in having smoking and non-smoking bars.  That way you have a choice on which one you visit.  

The smoking whilst driving argument is also spurious unless you don't take your hand off the wheel to change a radio station or, even, gears.  In fact, many smokers will argue that it helps them concentrate more rather than being a diversion, unlike telling your missus on the phone you are stuck on the M1 and will be late for dinner.  And that little drive up to the supermarket will probably put as much rubbish into the air as a smoker on 20 a day for life!  Ever thought why the prevalence of asthma is so high in the UK compared with the 50s when 75% of the population smoked?  

If any smokers fancy coming round to my house for a drink, they will be welcome to smoke as long as they do it on the porch.  (And don't mind me having a cigar once or twice a month.........still love those Havanas!)

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Halifax/Lloyds takeover - 25 posts
HELP FIND NATACHA - Disappeared in Marbella 1st Dec 7PM - 4 posts
Strike Action Over Xmas - 1 posts
Two years in Spain! - 4 posts
Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup - 7 posts
Russia to host 2018 World Cup - 2 posts
Expensive UK - 17 posts
Insurance for Bicycles - 2 posts
The end of the €425 unemployment benefit - 11 posts
certificado habitacion - 10 posts
GAS BOTTLE HEATING - 6 posts
selling spanish reg car in england - 1 posts
"The Building Log Book" versus "Libro de Edificio" - 0 posts
USING MONEYCORP - 12 posts
Vodafone Customer Service - 5 posts
Introducing aguilas389 - 1 posts
hi - 1 posts
Freesat Recorders - 4 posts
How do the the three kings arrive in your town / city? - 4 posts
tax office address - 2 posts
Golf Share in Guadalmina Golf - 4 posts
Pig on the roof - 2 posts
Bed & breakfast suggestions - Calais to Orihuela (Alicante) route - 8 posts
EEOs - 38 posts
Can anyone recomend a property management company who cover Puerto de Mazarron - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 251

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x