The end of the €425 unemployment benefit

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Currently, people can claim €425 per month in dole once their 2 year's (or less depending on contributions) dole ends.  It has just been announced that this will now end in February 2011. 

So what are people supposed to do given that there are 20% unemployed and no jobs? 

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
02 Dec 2010 1:32 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

I really have no idea! There is no work and now no more money to help people!

How come countries like the UK can manage to pay income support all the time and Spain cant?

In Spain there is no help for anyone really, i love this place but hate the system that runs it!

Joan

Like 0      
02 Dec 2010 1:53 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Joan,

It's actually quite a good system as long as you can get a job before your dole runs out.  I was between jobs for a month or so last year, and received 1050 euros per month!!  I was entitled to this for 6 months, then it  would go down to 950 per month for the remaining 18 months. 

1050 euros per month is the maximum you can claim (if you don't have kids), so not everyone will be getting this much.  It's based on your previous salary.

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
02 Dec 2010 2:30 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

Well i dont know 1050 euros a month some people are working 40 hrs a week for that money in the UK and have children where is the incentive for people to go ou to work with that amount of benefit available and for two years its paid?

Crazy

No wonder Spains in a worse mess than the UK

This message was last edited by rod on 02/12/2010.

Like 0      
02 Dec 2010 3:43 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

This is the reason I've often said that we've not seen the worst of it yet.  Many people are now hitting the two-year dole limit and with the benefit now going people are only going to get more desparate.

There will be more mortgage defaults and more small crime.  I think 2011 is going to be a very tough year for Spain.

That's about as positive as I can be about it at the moment!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
02 Dec 2010 8:41 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I heard today of a 75 year old lady who had just drawn €400 out of the bank in Arroyo (CDS), three nice young ladies held the door open for her, then mugged her.

Happy bloody Xmas.

And yes, the unemployment system here is nuts. A Spanish neighbour of mine actually decided to give up his job before the summer, saying that since he has two young kids, and daycare is so expensive, he'd be better off on the "paro" and being a stay at home dad. And we wonder where it all went wrong?

This message was last edited by Roberto on 02/12/2010.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Dec 2010 9:53 PM by tangledman Star rating in Puerto de Mazarron. 45 posts Send private message

tangledman´s avatar

Spain needs to reform its employment laws and make it easier for would be entrepreneurs.

It needs to make it almost cheap and easy to start a business (like the UK).

The bureaucracy of starting a business, the cost of employing people is prohibitive in many cases.

Spain has a higher unit cost of production than German and loses masses in tax renevue because of the black economy.

Like 0      
03 Dec 2010 1:26 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

I can see crime is getting worse and this is not going to help the situation.

Something really needs to change soon!

Joan

Like 0      
03 Dec 2010 1:54 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

03 Dec 2010 1:58 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Sanchez1,

Unfortunately thats how it feels, anyone in my area who can afford to go home (UK) is leaving rapidly before matters get worse, unfortunately not all of us can go back!

Joan

Like 0      
03 Dec 2010 2:18 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Hi Joan,

We'll likely jump ship as well if 2011 is as bad as I think it will be.  We're lucky in that we can leave whenever we want (well after giving 1 month's notice to my employer).

Like 0      
03 Dec 2010 2:56 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

Why dont you go to Qatar next its warm like spain and they need people to build 4 citys apparently or you could just come to the UK and claim jobseekers its only 50 odd quid a week though

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

certificado habitacion - 10 posts
GAS BOTTLE HEATING - 6 posts
selling spanish reg car in england - 1 posts
"The Building Log Book" versus "Libro de Edificio" - 0 posts
USING MONEYCORP - 12 posts
Vodafone Customer Service - 5 posts
Introducing aguilas389 - 1 posts
hi - 1 posts
Freesat Recorders - 4 posts
How do the the three kings arrive in your town / city? - 4 posts
tax office address - 2 posts
Golf Share in Guadalmina Golf - 4 posts
Pig on the roof - 2 posts
Bed & breakfast suggestions - Calais to Orihuela (Alicante) route - 8 posts
EEOs - 38 posts
Can anyone recomend a property management company who cover Puerto de Mazarron - 1 posts
Private Messages - 2 posts
Embargo sanctioned on Aifos assets - 8 posts
Bikes for sale - 1 posts
Almoradi and Algorfa - 7 posts
property tax - 4 posts
Kite surf equipment for sale - 0 posts
Where can one obtain the best exchange rate? - 0 posts
Where can one obtain the best exchange rate? - 1 posts
Top Tip for your grubby Log burner Glass - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x