Dickmanns rent a car

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Oct 2010 12:00 AM by diddycrumb Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi

Has anyone used Dickmanns rent a car at Alicante airport?  I am flying out next Sunday and have booked with Carjet when I printed off my voucher noticed I have a car with Dickmanns, having always used the car hire companies inside the arrivals hall, I wondered if anyone had experience using them good or bad?

Rachael

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 12:43 PM by gjohnint Star rating. 49 posts Send private message

Dickman's Rent car - Brilliant. Use them at Alicante and Murcia. A bit daunting at first as they used to trade from a van in the car park. They still do at Murcia. 

BUT:- no standing in the long queue as you would for Goldcar, Solmer or who ever, No trying to flog you extra insurance, no worry about being overcharged for fuel

What you do get  is a quick service, good cars, clean and generally not damaged, no attempt to trip you up with additional excesses. They do charge fora  full tank of fuel - return empty, but it genereally represents the amount you would have to pay unlike gold car where they try to get you to pay 100 euro for a full tank for a KA. 

You return the car to the airport and put the key and the carpark ticket thru their letter box.

You can be on your way in 10 minutes after going thru passport control. If I had the chance I would always use them.

Regards

Gordon Smith

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 2:18 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Long walk though!! Out of arrivals to the multi storey car park, then up the top and to the rear to a row of little Portakabin like buildings.

Mark

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 4:46 PM by joanniemac Star rating. 241 posts Send private message

Use them all the time at Alicante. Can`t fault them, staff are always helpful, cars are always clean & tidy. As Mark says, its a bit of a trek, but you are dealt with really quickly and can be on your way in 10 minutes. Cheers Joanniemac

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 4:49 PM by chesneyville Star rating. 83 posts Send private message

Have used Dickmanns quite a few times from both Alicante and Murcia and have to agree with both comments below. Never had any problems, cars have always been nearly new and clean and tidy. Had a bit of a drive round car park when returning to Alicante airport though, trying to find ramp to upper floor!!! We would have no hesitation in using again.

Regards, David

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 4:58 PM by gooders1 Star rating in Bromley Kent, Almora.... 5 posts Send private message

Hi

I have use a few different car hire firms at Alicante/Murcia Airport, but i have found pj's car hire very good. Courtesy transfer, the price quote is what you pay.

Gooders1

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 5:14 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Hi Peeps,

Just returned from Murcia booked car with ARGUS who sublet to Goldcar internet quoted price of 78 Euro finished as 149 Euro after fuel and extra insurance costs BL**DY robbers but standing at airport with no option they have you hooked.

Not a happy camper,

how do you contact Dickmans direct ???

Slanche Bbb

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 6:09 PM by gooders1 Star rating in Bromley Kent, Almora.... 5 posts Send private message

Slanche Bbb

As i said try pjsrentacar price quoted is the price you pay.

gooders

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 6:46 PM by harley Star rating in West Midlands/ Costa.... 67 posts Send private message

harley´s avatar

hi, just to add my two peneth worth

book with hirecarsinspain (google for this) for Dickmanns pay for half a tank of fuel, bring back half full.

no back shelf on the cars which can be a problem so be aware.

m

Harley

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 7:30 PM by angela59 Star rating in Ireland. 58 posts Send private message

Hi,

Can also vouch for pjsrentacar - saw someone had a good experience on here - had booked with carjet.com but when I checked the fuel cost it would have cost me more with carjet.com - they were subcontracting to Dickmanns.  I paid E145 for collection from airport, car left at my accommodation and return to the airport and you leave the car fuel back the way you got it - so for me it was a no brainer.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 7:48 PM by diddycrumb Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

wow thanks guys, I am driving on my own this time and also it being a Sunday didn't want any hiccups. Glad you have loads of good reviews, I booked with carjet and the price was really good, fuel charges don't bother me tbh just wanted some reassurance. Thanks again, can't wait til next Sunday! hope the weather is good.

Rachael

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 9:20 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

I GOT A CAR FROM THEN, NO SHELF NOT GOOD IF YOU GO SHOPPING GOODS ARE ON SHOW. ALSO THE GUY AT MURCIA VERY RUDE MOANING I WAS 20 MINS LATE. I TOLD HIM HE SHOULD KEEP AN EYE ON THE ARRIVELS BOARD TO SEE WHEN PLANES ARE LANDING IT WAS THE PLANE THAT WAS LATE TAKING OFF. { HE WAS A DUTCH GUY}

Like 0      
30 Oct 2010 9:29 PM by tonynault Star rating in Stockport & Cox!. 88 posts Send private message

tonynault´s avatar

" Had a bit of a drive round car park when returning to Alicante airport though, trying to find ramp to upper floor!!! "

I used to have this problem! Got it sussed now: as you approach the airport parking keep to the left, go into the carpark using the left hand barrier. As you go through the barrier you can see the ramp on your left but you can't get to it! Drive straight ahead and go 1st left, left again and back on yourself towards the fence near the entrance. Turn right and the ramp to the upper floor is right in front of you! Hope this helps!

Tony.

This message was last edited by tonynault on 30/10/2010.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2010 7:46 AM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

Just visited hirecarinspain will probably try them next time as car hire already booked through bmibaby this time (end of November) as prices seemed very reasonable. Normally use carjet or Argus

When on the above website there was a link to insuring your excess at insurance4carhire the cost is £49 per year for european.

Has anyone used this option as it would appear to pay for itself in less than 2 trips although not sure what hassle there would be at airport when you dont take out their excess cover?

Kerry

Like 0      
31 Oct 2010 11:05 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

When on the above website there was a link to insuring your excess at insurance4carhire the cost is £49 per year for european.

Has anyone used this option as it would appear to pay for itself in less than 2 trips although not sure what hassle there would be at airport when you dont take out their excess cover?

The £49 usually covers a single driver, so if 2 of you drive and you go out independent of each other, it is around £79. If you always go out together, who's to know who is driving .

I have seen many an argument at the rental desks with people stating they have this extra insurance. Without fail, every one has had to pay the extra 300€ asked by companies like Auriga Crown, they ar not interested in 3rd party insurances.

Depending on who the rental company is with HCiS, some of the companies don't insist on the extra insurance or a deposit, in which case the 3rd party stuff will do "what is says on the tin" for you.

Mark

Like 0      
31 Oct 2010 12:22 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Kerryb,

Just tried to use the yearly insurance with Goldcar at Murcia who do not recognise it as cover and insisted on buying there cover at 30 Euro or loading 300 Euro on credit card, so not a lot of use I was lucky as I got this cover as a freebie probably because it was useless.

So would not recommend spendin 49 Euro for it.

Understanding hire charges and supplement charges is a nightmare spent 2 hours lastr night trying to sort out hire for xmas trip still no further forward.

Gave up and retreated to the comfort of a large Malt.

Bbb

Like 0      
31 Oct 2010 1:19 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I have an annual European rental policy (£40) with icarhireinsurance.com. It covers my wife and me as drivers but I have to be on the rental agreement, so it wouldn't cover my wife on her own. I still have to let the rental company take whatever deposit they want  from my credit card. I always decline their insurance. In the event of the rental company charging me, say £600 for damage, I pay the rental company, then send the paperwork to the insurance co, and they refund me. At least, that's the way it ought to work - I haven't made a claim. This particular company also covers me if renting a car near my UK address - most don't offer cover within 150 miles of your home address, so it's useful if you need to rent when visiting UK. (If you say your home address is Spain they probably tell you to buy your cover from a Spanish co.) There are also a lot of other useful benefits, ie lost luggage, missed flights because of break down, road rage, etc. But, you are wasting your time showing the policy to the car rental company.

Like 0      
31 Oct 2010 9:16 PM by KERRYB Star rating in Wales & Murcia. 113 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast

we are booked with goldcar (via bmibaby) in Alicante so dont think this policy will save the excess insurance hassle

Guyt

please could you confirm whether there is any excess on your rental policy

Kerry

Like 0      
31 Oct 2010 9:52 PM by taraleisure Star rating in Holmfirth. 294 posts Send private message

I have used  the Insurance4carhire. It covers up to 7 additional drivers for £49 per year. Solmar, Goldcar - especially Goldcar-  always try to flog you another, but I shake the head and say no.The have my card details but they do not take a deposit. Probably take the lot in the event of a crash!

Like 0      
31 Oct 2010 9:58 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

hi kerryb. i am unsure. but if you go to their website at the bottom of the page you can click on policy documents which then subdivides into policy wording and key facts. i have just scrolled through both and can't see reference to any excess/deductible.

the only hassle is that you have to be liable for deposit in the first instance. i just completed a europcar rental in uk for ten days and their extra cdw was £8 or so day, so i figure my £39.99 a year policy does the trick. it also covers you for extra weird circumstances such as some spanish rental company perhaps only giving you limited cover in case of you killing someone, whereas this policy has quite good cover, £650k worth of 3rd party liability and £65k in case your car gets burned, stolen, vandalised, whatever. personally, i see no downside to these policies, i've had them for ten years. and would otherwise have forked out thousands in rental company rip-off excess.

jeepers, they should be paying me for this glowing tesimonial!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

I thought I might reintroduce myself - since I have been pretty quite. - 1 posts
best place to advertise rental property - 2 posts
WALK UP RIO SECO AT CAMPOVERDE - 0 posts
Would like to meet new people - 1 posts
Autonomo mine field - 0 posts
Don't forget clocks go back on Sunday - 11 posts
GEOCACHING - 1 posts
UK Driving licence replacement - 6 posts
Holiday Lets versus Long Term Tenancy - 6 posts
Malaga Airport - Current Parking situation - 4 posts
Is it a good time to buy? - 29 posts
Retirement Villages - 10 posts
To dream the impossible dream.... - 9 posts
Free P&P - delivery to Spain from UK - 12 posts
Full Tank Of Petrol Con - 4 posts
Stealing Community Electricity inWinter - 6 posts
Calling all ex-pat market traders...... - 14 posts
Proffessional liabilities of conveyancers - 33 posts
Lost Luggage - 1 posts
International van insurance nightmare - 6 posts
Even more jokes - 3 posts
Even more jokes - 2 posts
Work Carried out for the Benefit of Individual Properties - 3 posts
Community voting - what is a majority? - 18 posts
RENTACARSPAIN.COM - 24 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 63

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x