No taxes on the sale of habitual dwelling for residents

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Oct 2010 12:00 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Legal tip 359. No taxes on the sale of habitual dwelling for residents
06 October 2010 @ 10:53

There is no tax on the capital gains when selling  your first home, provided the seller is over 65 years old or are in a situation of dependence. The house must have been the first home of the seller during the two precedent years to transmission.

You NEED TO BE A SPANISH RESIDENT for this benefit as houses of non residents are never considered " first homes"

Ronda Plaza by Elarequi61 at Flickr.com

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
06 Oct 2010 3:25 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I have not seen a taxable profit on capital gains tax for a long time - except when the tax office imposes fictious values!

This is really an example of residence being one of choice because regardless of your tax status as to whether or not you file returns or whatever, if you live in Spain full time then tax law says you are resident. It does not say you are considered resident only if you apply for residence and pay/file tax returns.

I know many people who have no other home outside of Spain so their house in Spain is clearly there sole/principal private residence and they are here 365 days a year - of course they don't bother with the hassle of filing tax returns and continue to maintain non-resident tax status unless there is some benefit to be had .........

Like 0      
07 Oct 2010 12:36 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

But nowadays the notary requires a certificate of fiscal residence from Hacienda for foreigners to prove they are resident and therefore avoid the 3% retention. If you never file a tax return, I don't thik you will get this, and the notary will retain the 3% regardless of your pleadings.

I may be wrong on this, and am happy to be corrected if so.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 Oct 2010 3:35 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

You are absolutely correct Roberto, it doesn't matter if you have a Residencia card or certificate, if you cannot provide your last Renta or proof of fiscal Residency they will still retain the 3%, primary residence or not.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2011 5:15 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

faro- surely you know that-you must file tax returns, its not a choice, but the law. also, when you sell your house you must produce a tax certificate, or 3 % will be retained.  you may have residencia, but you  must  pay your income tax in spain in order to be FISCALLY resident, waving your residence card at the notary won't do! hopefully the hacienda will catch up with these non tax payers-they've got away with it too long.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2011 8:49 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

Just out of curiosity, do you have to file a Renta return if you have no income?  This could happen if you were living off capital for example.  But also, UK civil service pensioners are paid and taxed in the UK and do not have to include their pension as income in a Renta return.  So you could quite legitimately be ineligible for a tax certificate while being tax and legally resident in Spain.  To retain the 3% or to deny capital gains tax relief would then be in breach of the EU requirement not to discriminate between residents and non-residents.

Like 0      
26 Feb 2011 11:46 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not 100% sure on this - there are certain circumstances under which you would not be obliged to complete a tax return (e.g. no income), but in order to be eligible for any tax relief, and I suppose that would include the 3% retention on property sales, you have to file a return. So I guess if you plan (in advance) to sell your property, then best to file a return, even if it's zero.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 10:12 AM by delza Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

Out of interest I notice Maria saying it's only for people 65+ years old? 

I thought as long as you were submitting a tax return and it was your primary residence and you were buying another primary residence in Spain then no matter how old you are you dont have to pay the 3% but it is withheld until you buy another property?

Am I right?

This message was last edited by delza on 27/02/2011.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 10:25 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

It used to be the case that, if you rebuy in Spain within two years (between escritura dates) you can reclaim capital gains tax if paid.  You can reclaim in full if the new primary residence has a higher escritura price - or Hacienda imputed price - than the old one.  If it is less, you are liable for tax on the difference.  I don't know if that has changed in the last couple of years.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 2:12 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

You don't have to file if you have no income & live off of capital that does not produce a return above 1600€'s as a family.. If you have income above 8k you have to file , & if you have income from investments that generates more than 1600€'s interest, as a family, you have to file. I.e. if you receive 1500€ interest & your wife the same , you both have to file as the combined total is over 1600€'s.

As other posters have pointed out you're better filing a zero return if you are contemplating selling. If you are submitting tax returns & sell & it's your primary residence, there is no retention . If you don't buy again in spain within 2 years then you are liable to declare & pay cgt on your next declaration. It used to be the case if you bought ANYWHERE within 2 years ( I:E: the UK ) it was exempt from cgt but they've stopped that by altering the law to spain only !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 3:03 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

"It used to be the case if you bought ANYWHERE within 2 years ( I:E: the UK ) it was exempt from cgt but they've stopped that by altering the law to spain only !"

Now there's something that is worth writing to your MEP about.  Blatant discrimination in favour of Spanish over other EU nationalities.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 7:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Technically, it is not discrimination against non-Spanish, since the same would apply to a Spaniard if he sold his house in Spain and bought another in, say, Portugal, wouldn't it? I agree it sounds like a bit of dodgy legislation that may not stand up to EU scrutiny, but perhaps we shouldn't be too quick to condemn Spain as anti-foreigners. More like anti-EU meddling, which probably most EU members are against too.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Feb 2011 8:19 PM by peteha Star rating. 110 posts Send private message

It is not just the CGT tax a seller should worry about bad as it is.

It is the Plus Valia tax ( local authorities estimate of the increase in land value since you bought)

This has increased dramatically over the last year or two

I believe this  can add up to 4 to 5 thousand euro costs onto the the sales cost of an average property

and no way of avoiding it.

they screw you on the way in and screw you on the way out .

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ash cloud compensation - 2 posts
Malaga Airport - 10 posts
where is Norman Sands? - 31 posts
Exchange rate - 7 posts
Can I be sued? - 11 posts
Recommendation for Estate Agent in Chiclana de la Frontera? - 0 posts
surge protector - 7 posts
Mijas area water quality - 8 posts
Mijas area water quality - 0 posts
Peugeot 206 - 2 posts
Legal tip 356. Half a million of enterpreneurs - 0 posts
costa calida - 3 posts
Waiting for a sentance from the court - 31 posts
Paro help! - 3 posts
Weather Report - 2 posts
Registering your rental property in Murcia - 7 posts
hi everybody, I've lived in the valencia region for 10 years. - 5 posts
BEWARE Crown Foreign Currency - 9 posts
Majestic Village Casares - 3 posts
Where do I fit ? - 8 posts
Rubber Flooring for Children´s Play Area - 2 posts
UK Debt Collection Agencies - 5 posts
Legal tip 354. Northern europeans come to Spain to live and undertake initiatives - 0 posts
Hyundai H1 7 seater - 1 posts
Toyota RAV4 FOR SALE - Great price! - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x