can i cas a uk cheque in my spanish account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 May 2010 12:00 AM by vanda Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

i no longer have a uk bank account and dont want one.  i have received a uk cheque can i cash it in my spanish account

Like 0      
24 May 2010 1:58 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

it will take about 28 days to clear unless they have changed things very recently.............

Like 0      
24 May 2010 2:33 PM by vanda Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

thank you not bothered about length of time it takes.  what a palaver trying to open a bank account in uk now.

Like 0      
24 May 2010 2:43 PM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

Yes opening a bank a/c in UK is a murder, tried many times last year & failed, nearly gave up till 1 accepted me.

Like 0      
24 May 2010 3:15 PM by vanda Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

which one gave u an account if you dont mind. 

Like 0      
24 May 2010 3:39 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

I presume that the "polava" is to cut down on money laundering so maybe a necessary evil?

Like 0      
24 May 2010 4:50 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

If you are resident in Spain, you cannot actually open a bank account in UK unless of course you lie about your address!

Georgia is right, certainly in BBVA you can pay in a UK cheque but it can take 3 or 4 weeks for it to be cashed and you have to accept whatever rate they decide to give you!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
24 May 2010 5:16 PM by vanda Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

many thanks.  I'm not a spanish resident but have 2 cheques to cash and as usual have left everything to last minute

Like 0      
24 May 2010 6:02 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

We have a Barclays account in Spain which you can pay Uk cheques into but I am not sure of the waiting time for clearance.

I can also transfer money with a UK cheque if that helps.

Pat   

Like 0      
24 May 2010 6:14 PM by Forhotspot Star rating. 233 posts Send private message

hsbc gave me one but I've to use my brother's address as I used to live in that address for many years. I'm not a Spanish resident yet. I've to say that the 1st time I went to hsbc they wouldn't let me open one but asked me to transfer my a/c to them but on 2nd visit I spoke to a different person.

Like 0      
24 May 2010 7:10 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

make sure you agree charges up front.

You will more than likely be robbed and have to wait weeks for cleared funds.

Like 0      
25 May 2010 3:40 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

The bank has never charged me anything for cashing a UK cheque but you have to accept the exchange rate as is at that time.

I can pay a UK cheque of my own into BBVA up to 500 pounds and they let me use the money instantly, over that amount I have to wait for clearence.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
26 May 2010 11:47 PM by spiritofspain Star rating in Riviera del Sol, Mij.... 114 posts Send private message

spiritofspain´s avatar

I have an account with Cajamar and regularly deposit a cheque for £2000 - the charges are 10 euros and I have to wait a month for the money to be cleared BUT the exchange rate I get is even better than any that I can negotiate with the tranfer companies like Currencies Direct, HIFX etc. and they want transfers of £5000 or more to have charge free transfers.

I can even watch the rate they will give me on-line every day and choose my moment

Im happy!!

This message was last edited by spiritofspain on 26/05/2010.

This message was last edited by spiritofspain on 26/05/2010.

Margery

www.losarqueros.iowners.net  and www.calahondapark.iowners.net

Like 0      
31 May 2010 2:19 PM by Elle1971 Star rating in Lanzarote. 29 posts Send private message

Elle1971´s avatar

Our UK cheques get paid into our Sterling Account with Solbank - and only take a few days to clear. There is a nominal charge, but I'm unsure how much. I know that when we last did it... we decided that financially it wasn't worth accepting UK cheques unless they were over a certain amount. We tend to stick to PayPal or bank transfers now, when our clients in the UK pay us. We don't have them often now - but we do have a cheque from Google coming soon (according to hubby, as I've just asked him)... so will know then. I'll try to remember to post the amount in here when it happens.

Elle xx

Like 0      
31 May 2010 3:57 PM by Angell Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

I heartily agree with Spirit of Spain, Cajamar are a fantastic bank, at least my branch is, but I won't tell you where that is, whatever amount I put in  be it £1000 or £10,000 ,they charge me 6 Euro, it should take 30 days to clear but if I need it I can get it immediately, the staff are wonderful and helpful and it is a real pleasure to do business with them, I have used other branches and they have been the same.  I have heard that Solbank charges are horrendous.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

inport duty - 3 posts
Buggies & Prams - 0 posts
VARIOUS ITEMS FOR SALE - 2 posts
Interest rate predictions. - 3 posts
Caja Sur calls in the administrators - 6 posts
Hilarious videos thread - 7 posts
Has anyone heard IF Easyjet has pulled its Bristol - Murcia route from Nov 1st ? - 7 posts
moors & christians. - 0 posts
Hello - 5 posts
GoldCar & AmigoAutos - 6 posts
If you can see the black smoke over the Costa Del Sol - 4 posts
Legal tip 277. Low cost action against Banks. Manifesto by Costaluzlawyers - 0 posts
steve thoomy amber pools - 3 posts
WINTER FLIGHTS - 0 posts
Car hire Full/Full Malaga Airport - 4 posts
Spanish Digital TV and Freeview box (None satellite) - 7 posts
Linea Directa will beat your car insurance renewal quote - 11 posts
World Cup 2010 thread - 3 posts
Looking for guest for TV show in Croatia - 0 posts
car hire alicante to benidorm - 4 posts
Sending documents internationally - 6 posts
Furnitures - 4 posts
Football in La Cala - 2 posts
Mijas Golf to Alhaurin - 0 posts
How nice is your Spanish Property? - 39 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x