Spanish Digital TV and Freeview box (None satellite)

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 May 2010 12:00 AM by Dek64 Star rating in Stockport/Nerja. 11 posts Send private message

Our complex a few months back upgraded our TV system to Spanish Digital, we do not have a complex satallite dish and our baloney is small to locate one, so we basically do not watch TV.

However, someone mentioned that we can get some english language programmes, even channels through a freeview box via the newly upgraded ariel system. Is this correct?? If so how much would a Freeview box cost??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Like 0      
21 May 2010 1:18 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

You can get a Spanish TDT box for around 30 euros from Carrefour amongst other places.  There's a lot of American/British shows and films on Spanish TV.  To get them in English, all you need to do is change the language setting on your remote control.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
21 May 2010 1:30 PM by Dek64 Star rating in Stockport/Nerja. 11 posts Send private message

Many thanks Sanchez1,

That could be the answer! Do you know if there are actually any Engligh speaking channels ?

Like 0      
21 May 2010 1:58 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I don't think there are any specific English language Channels, but there is a Sony Channel I think, where all the programmes are American.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
21 May 2010 2:20 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Dek...in a word....No!

Programmes available on Spanish Digital are in Spanish; However as Sanchez has pointed out, where the original programme was recorded in a languge other than Spanish, the original language is normally available by utilising the Languge button on the remote for the 'freeview' Box.

The decision as to whether to make the original language available depends upon the company transmitting the programme; for instance Canal Sur which serves Andalucia very rarely transmits the alternate languge.

If you elect to buy a box over here, please don't refer to it as a Freeview box...retailers will have no idea what you are talking about.

Spanish Digital is known as TDT (Television Digital Terrestrial).

Be advised that A UK purchased Freeview box may not make all the Spanish channels available so its best to buy a TDT box here in Spain. It is not possible to receive UK based programmes on a TDT box. For that you will need satellite.

To find out which TV stations you should be able to receive in Nerja use this link; input your postcode in the box and click the button marked Consultar.

For day to day programming in your area here is a link to an online programme guide; again you can personalise this by selecting Canales TDT and inputting your post code.

Hope this helps....

btw...Sony recently went subscription only...so far as I know there are no subscription capable TDT boxes available as yet....

fb

This message was last edited by foxbat on 21/05/2010.

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
21 May 2010 2:43 PM by Dek64 Star rating in Stockport/Nerja. 11 posts Send private message

Many thanks Foxbat.

Will look into a TDT box. Pity we need a large sattelite dish or I would go down this route.

Like 0      
21 May 2010 2:53 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

I need some help . We have a TV in our apartment in Spain but all we get are Spanish TV stations or we view films on the DVD recorder .   We do not have Sky yet as there always seems to be a need for the 300-500 Euros we have been quoted to install Sky ( absolute rip-- off if you ask me ) . Our apartments have opted to have one central supplier who is quoting this cost..   It's OK for my husband as he speaks fluent Spanish but I don't  ( I should learn ) 

On reading this post am I correct in saying that if we buy a TDT box we may get  some English speaking channels.    Can you advise me what  make to buy in the Duquesa area CDS.

Hope  I don't sound too dumb - witted.

Like 0      
21 May 2010 3:19 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Tamsin...please see my previous reply regarding TDT...I think it covers your question...

If your satellite supplier installs a feeder into your apartment you dont have to go with Sky...you can buy a 'Free to Air' Satellite Receiver from Carrefour or AKI  for about 80 Euros and you will be able to watch whatever free channels are received by the dish; what available is dependent upon what Satellite the dish is pointed at. If its Astra 2 / Eurobird there are many English Language channels available  for free...

I totally agree that 300-500 Euros is a rip off especially since yours would be a communal dish...One dish serving many receivers...but there again the whole Sky 'industry' on the CDS IS a rip off....

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Linea Directa will beat your car insurance renewal quote - 11 posts
World Cup 2010 thread - 3 posts
Looking for guest for TV show in Croatia - 0 posts
car hire alicante to benidorm - 4 posts
Sending documents internationally - 6 posts
Furnitures - 4 posts
Football in La Cala - 2 posts
Mijas Golf to Alhaurin - 0 posts
How nice is your Spanish Property? - 39 posts
HELP! How do I...? - 4 posts
What are the elements for Breach of Contract in Spain? - 4 posts
I'm looking for work in Madrid - 3 posts
Atlas/Arroca - 0 posts
whole life insurance - 4 posts
Unpaid community fees - 6 posts
Where to invest £1000 for daughter? - 17 posts
Help again?????? - 0 posts
Your valuable advice please - 3 posts
Watch This Thread-LOVE IT! - 6 posts
Dipping toes in water - 2 posts
I want to buy Champion League Final Ticket 2010 (Match date 22 May 2010)? Plz help - 0 posts
Items for sale - 3 posts
Buying Wines - 0 posts
car hire - 0 posts
Jumping over babies - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x