Caja Sur calls in the administrators

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 May 2010 12:00 AM by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

On Friday the Bank of Spain sent in three administrators to CajaSur to take it over because there capital was inadequate to guarantee solvency.  Today I learn they are to pump in 0.5 billion € to keep it afloat.  I am a depositor so not overly happy but at least there is deposit protection of 100.000€ per account holder.  I have updated my guide to the Spanish economic crisis to take account of this and the austerity package announced by the government.

http://www.advoco.es/home/22-latest/50-spanish-economic-crisis-takes-a-new-twist.html

Advoco Law & Accountancy

Latest article: Guide to Spain's Autonomo System

Like 0      
23 May 2010 7:03 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Interesting.  Is this the Spanish banking system going to collapse?  Apparently the cajas are sitting on €300 billion of bad-debt related to the property boom.  I wonder how much of the massive EU/IMF bailout money will be used to bail out the Spanish banking system?

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
23 May 2010 7:30 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Apparently Caja Sur was run/owned by the Catholic church.  You'd expect it to have been better run than it was.

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
24 May 2010 7:43 AM by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

Apparently after a cash injection the branches are all going to be open today as normal.  Whether there will be queues of people round the block trying to withdraw all their money I don't know.  Could be interesting.

Advoco Law & Accountancy

Like 0      
24 May 2010 8:32 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Many thanks for your post Bakeja.

Cajasur funded our Developer who still owns over 20 apartments at our Development. The Developer has stopped paying Community Fees for the past 6 months due to serious financial problems. Even previously Cajasur had been approving any significant payments has they will end up owning the unsold apartments when our Developer goes into Administration!!

At least the loan funding from Bank of Spain will help in the short term but they need to merge with another bank to have a realistic chance of survival

This message was last edited by miket on 24/05/2010.

Mike T

Like 0      
24 May 2010 1:15 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I know that your first €100K is protected should a bank fail in Spain, but how long would you have to wait to get your money back?  I would rather not have anything in the cajas, just to be on the safe side.  I'll stick with Barclays and Santander I think.

Like 0      
24 May 2010 3:09 PM by bakeja Star rating in Manilva. 49 posts Send private message

I think you are supposed to be repaid within a month.  If you are uncertain about the deposit insurance, it is called FGD and there is a website called fgd.es that explains all.  More likely the government will just keep bailing out the cajas so noone has to call on the insurance.  Could be expensive according to telegraph because there are 445 billion € of property loans outstanding and many of them to the cajas.

Advoco Law & Accountancy

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hilarious videos thread - 7 posts
Has anyone heard IF Easyjet has pulled its Bristol - Murcia route from Nov 1st ? - 7 posts
moors & christians. - 0 posts
Hello - 5 posts
GoldCar & AmigoAutos - 6 posts
If you can see the black smoke over the Costa Del Sol - 4 posts
Legal tip 277. Low cost action against Banks. Manifesto by Costaluzlawyers - 0 posts
steve thoomy amber pools - 3 posts
WINTER FLIGHTS - 0 posts
Car hire Full/Full Malaga Airport - 4 posts
Spanish Digital TV and Freeview box (None satellite) - 7 posts
Linea Directa will beat your car insurance renewal quote - 11 posts
World Cup 2010 thread - 3 posts
Looking for guest for TV show in Croatia - 0 posts
car hire alicante to benidorm - 4 posts
Sending documents internationally - 6 posts
Furnitures - 4 posts
Football in La Cala - 2 posts
Mijas Golf to Alhaurin - 0 posts
How nice is your Spanish Property? - 39 posts
HELP! How do I...? - 4 posts
What are the elements for Breach of Contract in Spain? - 4 posts
I'm looking for work in Madrid - 3 posts
Atlas/Arroca - 0 posts
whole life insurance - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x