The new British Identity Cards

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Mar 2010 12:00 AM by degato34 Star rating in West Yorkshire (God'.... 35 posts Send private message

Members and friends and relatives therof should be aware that the new British Identity Cards are not generally known about and recognised by Travel Companies and Passport Controls.

These new cards are being trialed in the Manchester and London areas and not that many have yet been issued to UK citizens.

My wife and I thought they were a good idea, particularly as they were more easy to carry about than passports so we applied and obtained them.

When we attended at the UK airport the Jet2 staff had never before seen them and it was only after a couple of telephone calls that they were accepted. The Spanish Passport Control Officers readily accepted and swiped them, although they too had never seen them before.

The main problem arose when we produced at the departure gate prior to boarding. The Jet2 rep refused emphatically to accept them and told  us that he would not allow us to board unless we produced our passports. He would not listen to reason and even threatened to deny us boarding for being argumentative. I swallowed my pride and showed our passports just to calm the situation. Luckily I had had the foresight to take them with us, otherwise we would probably been stuck overnight at Malaga until the matter was cleared up. So beware, if you decide to get a British ID Card, always take you Passport as backup.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2010 12:40 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I'm sorry to say that, even within the EU, you must produce a passport to travel!

Identity cards are not sufficient to allow travel between EU states.

The UK ID cards, are IMHO, a complete waste of time and expense! As if you have a passport and/or EU style Photo ID Driving License, then that's all you need to prove your ID in the first place.

However, as I stated, you must have a valid passport for foreign travel.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 24/03/2010.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
24 Mar 2010 9:36 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Technoape, I thought that as well but I can assure you it is not true. Possibly by air travel  yes, but by road or train any EC citizen can travel on their National Identity card only. My neighbour, whose son travels weekly to the UK delivering products often takes family members with him & both his father & uncle have been in the last month , neither of whom have a passport, travelling on their cards only. I am sure also, that I have seen Spaniards checking in at airports with their cards only ,since the crackdown some years back. I will pay more attention this w/ e when I am at the airport to see if this is definitely the case.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2010 11:51 AM by maylin Star rating in Andalucia and Hertfo.... 71 posts Send private message

The subject of I D cards is confusing.

According to Gov. UK website you can use them as a passport within the EU

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Identitycards/DG_174258

Then again an article in the Manchester Evening News highlights the problem/confusion.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1187159_id_card_chaos_as_travel_firms_blunder

It is indeed a minefield.

If anyone had the time and inclination to go through the EU legislation I think it would say 'Technically' - All EU citizens have right of movement between member states. All you need is recognised Photo ID. (perhaps even a driviing licence would do)

However we all know what we are allowed to do 'Technically' is not necessarily reality.

Maybe the fact that they are not compulsory in the UK. That it is ill thought out and watered down does not  sit well with our EU partners. Who knows.

'Another fine mess Stanley'

Best bet - get a passport.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2010 12:52 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Technoape:

I'm sorry to say that, even within the EU, you must produce a passport to travel!

Identity cards are not sufficient to allow travel between EU states.

This is not correct, at least when it comes to Spanish ID cards.  My wife (Spanish) always uses her ID card for travel within the EU, so the Spanish ID can be used instead of a passport.  This is one of the reason's I want to get Spanish citizenship/passport.

I wouldn't touch the Big Brother UK version with a bargepole though.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2010 1:37 PM by degato34 Star rating in West Yorkshire (God'.... 35 posts Send private message

Why not? What do you think the British one contains, that the Spanish one does not. The only thing extra to a passport application  is providing your fingerprints. No DNA.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2010 1:50 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

The database used by the UK card scheme looks like it stores more info.  I don't like the idea of fines for not updating any change of address on the UK one.  You also have to provide 10 fingerprints for the UK card, which means you will automatically be checked against every crime in the UK where fingerprints have been left.  Although the government will probably not tell you this.  I think in Spain it's just one fingerprint, which is enough to identify somebody.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2010 2:51 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Yesterday we checked in online for a flight back to the UK with Ryanair.  We had to provide details about our travel documents, and had a choice between entering passport or ID card.  We only have passports, so entered details about our passports.  Of course if we had selected ID card, they may very well have charged us extra for it!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
24 Mar 2010 5:24 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Degato...Jet2's website (see FAQ's) states clearly that for international flights passports are required, so technically the only person you encountered who was working in line with Jet2's current rules was in fact the staff member at the Malaga departure gate!

EU or national ID cards are acceptable for Domestic flights...

Suemac;... the information you were required to provide for Ryanair is API information, and as of 9th March, is applicable to all passengers travelling into or out of the UK. API information has been a pre-requisite for flights into Spain for some time now.

Regarding API information...with a few airlines, including Jet2 and Flybe this information can be collected at check-in or via the company's websites. Ryan cannot do it of course because they have done away with Check-in desks... 

I agree with Techno; the UK ID card is to my mind, one step too many and a total waste of time and money and the requirement ot provide 10 fingerprints is just proof that the old rule of 'Innocent until proven guilty' has been chucked out of the window.

The UK ID card would appear to have about as much legal standing outside of the UK as the 'Residencia Certificate' has outside of Spain in that it can only be used in conjunction with a valid UK Passport.

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
24 Mar 2010 7:23 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
25 Mar 2010 5:27 PM by degato34 Star rating in West Yorkshire (God'.... 35 posts Send private message

Foxbat

Below is a copy of the reply that received from the ID and Passport Office. The FAQ's on Jet 2 are wrong and I am seeking to have these corrected. Watch that space.

Ref: ID-10-197

Dear

Thank you for your recent email regarding the acceptance of the National Identity Card for travel.  I was most concerned to hear of your annoying experience when travelling to Spain via Jet2.com.

I should explain that the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) are currently issuing two types of identity cards:

·        The identity card for European Economic Area and Swiss nationals who live in the UK. The card is an “identification card” and can be used for identification purpose only.

·        The UKNational Identity Card” for British citizens and British Subjects with the right to abode in the UK. This card confirms the holder’s nationality and can be used for identification purpose and as a ‘passport’ within most European countries.

IPS followed agreed international procedures for notifying international carriers and border agencies about the UK's National Identity Card. We notified them of the design of the card last summer, and again once we began issuing cards in the autumn. However, we are reliant on those organisations passing this information on to their staff. I can assure you that where customers have told us of difficulties, we are working with the organisation concerned to rectify the problem as quickly as possible.

The National Identity Card is an official travel document issued by the British Government and as such there is no reason why companies should refuse to accept it for travel within the European Economic Area (EEA).

Please be assured that IPS is working closely with the airline industry to continually improve the awareness and acceptability of the National Identity Card.   

May I offer you my apologies for any inconvenience or embarrassment this may have caused you.

Yours sincerely

Walter Tutin

Customer Services

IPS Durham

Dear

Thank you for your recent email regarding the acceptance of the National Identity Card for travel.  I was most concerned to hear of your annoying experience when travelling to Spain via Jet2.com.

I should explain that the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) are currently issuing two types of identity cards:

·        The identity card for European Economic Area and Swiss nationals who live in the UK. The card is an “identification card” and can be used for identification purpose only.

·        The UKNational Identity Card” for British citizens and British Subjects with the right to abode in the UK. This card confirms the holder’s nationality and can be used for identification purpose and as a ‘passport’ within most European countries.

IPS followed agreed international procedures for notifying international carriers and border agencies about the UK's National Identity Card. We notified them of the design of the card last summer, and again once we began issuing cards in the autumn. However, we are reliant on those organisations passing this information on to their staff. I can assure you that where customers have told us of difficulties, we are working with the organisation concerned to rectify the problem as quickly as possible.

The National Identity Card is an official travel document issued by the British Government and as such there is no reason why companies should refuse to accept it for travel within the European Economic Area (EEA).

Please be assured that IPS is working closely with the airline industry to continually improve the awareness and acceptability of the National Identity Card.   

May I offer you my apologies for any inconvenience or embarrassment this may have caused you.

Yours sincerely

Walter Tutin

Customer Services

IPS Durham

Dear

Yours sincerely

Walter Tutin

Customer Services

IPS Durham

Dear

Yours sincerely

Walter Tutin

Customer Services

IPS Durham

Dear

Yours sincerely

Walter Tutin

Customer Services

IPS Durham

Dear

Yours sincerely

Walter Tutin

Customer Services

IPS Durham

Dear

Yours sincerely

Walter Tutin

Customer Services

IPS Durham

Dear

Yours sincerely

Walter Tutin

Customer Services

IPS Durham

Dear

Yours sincerely

Walter Tutin

Customer Services

IPS Durham

Like 0      
25 Mar 2010 5:47 PM by jethro Star rating in guildford. 111 posts Send private message

could you post that once more please??

only joking!!

Like 0      
25 Mar 2010 7:17 PM by degato34 Star rating in West Yorkshire (God'.... 35 posts Send private message

Sorry about the multiple posting. I didn't realise until after it had gone.

I have difficulty because of my ppparkinsons.

Regards.

P.S Only joking

Like 0      
25 Mar 2010 9:26 PM by jethro Star rating in guildford. 111 posts Send private message

no probs.  bye the way, i don"t suppose you have a genuin recipe for yorkshire pud by any chance? bit fed up with the sainsbury ones!!!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Baby seats - 1 posts
Murcia airport car hire - 18 posts
Benefit Scroungers? - 13 posts
Cold in the Costa Blanca - 6 posts
Supplies of garden stones - 0 posts
long term car parks in and around barcelona - 0 posts
Long term rental in and around Barcelona - 0 posts
Car sales - 2 posts
Solicitor needed VillaMartin area - 1 posts
Los Alcazares - 7 posts
Gardener required in La Cala area - 2 posts
Learning Spanish in England. - 5 posts
Seafood restaurant - 3 posts
Seafood restaurant - 2 posts
Car hire-Estepona area - 3 posts
Will things ever change? - 17 posts
valle de sol, murcia- pegasus developers - 0 posts
Closing times of Supermarkets in Malaga and Nerja - 2 posts
hire car ibiza - 0 posts
Glad to be back - 0 posts
Show with Maria de Castro - 2 posts
Red days over Easter??? - 2 posts
Kitchen and Bathroom fit - 2 posts
Alicante airport to San Javier - 14 posts
Hurry Up - 41 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x