Good news in Spain!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jun 2010 2:12 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

georgia

that sounds like a move in the right direction, but I would expect that agent to deny any knowledge, and blame land registry, the local mayor, the mayor's dog etc, and fight it through the courts for a few years!!  In the meantime, the poor sod who bought  in good faith would be left with nothing but an ever growing bill from their lawyers.

I think that if the law was geared towards the poor sod at the end of the chain recieving instant compensation from a compulsory fund set up by the developer, payable if the contract is breached in any way, then at least those cheated would get some sort of justice in a reasonable time frame, and leave the crooks higher up in the chain to fight it out amongst themselves.

Until laws in Spain are implemented with integrity on a right verses wrong common sense basis, and without back handers, then I think justice will remain very much a lottery?  Hopefully, the recession is forcing the issue in the right direction?

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 3:17 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

And little by little the Good News thread is turned into.......................the usual not so Good News thread

Perhaps we should have one of those............................ oh we have, soon to be two or three or ten or......

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 3:25 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Vilprano

Thank you for putting everything into perspective with your post.  Fortunately we haven't lost as much money as you (our deposit was just over 38000 €, though it would have been more if we hadn't insisted that the maximum we were willing to put down was 30%).  We have now bought an apartment, but we had to do so with a smaller budget and also had to get a mortgage.  However we consider that we are lucky in having a roof over our head, good health (touch wood!), and enough money to live on.  We also value our family and friends, and appreciate the good Spanish friends we have made over here.  We know we are more fortunate than many people, however there are others who are more fortunate than us.  That's life!

As for our life now in Spain - the weather is beautiful, the fiesta season is in full swing, and we have at least one event to look forward to each weekend until the middle of July.

We are also hoping that Spain get to the final of the World Cup, as there will be so many celebrations in town to enjoy......!!!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 3:47 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Sue

so you have been cheated out of £38,000 and vilprano £100,000, . Well we all do what we need to do, I just wonder how many others are in the same position?.  The amounts of loss must be staggering?

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 4:06 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

They are staggering losses and we all sympathise but this post is for good news, which, believe it or not, some of us do have and would like to share. There are plenty of threads to discuss those staggering losses without hijacking this one.

SUCCESS IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF LUCK....ASK ANY FAILURE!!

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 4:20 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

redsam79

ok,  point taken.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 4:35 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Goodstich44, Mucha Gracias amigo.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 7:18 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Sorry, Redsam79, but I was trying to make the point that life has to move on and, like Vilprano, we are making the most of our situation and enjoying our life in Spain.  It is no use looking back, you have to look forward - so we are looking forward to the summer with lovely weather and lots of fiestas to enjoy. 

We are also looking forward to celebrating with our vecinos if Spain do well in the World Cup.  Last night, walking along the street near our apartment, we spotted Spanish neighbours setting up a TV in the street with tables and chairs outside!  Many of the adults and children had España tops on - and there was a great sense of anticipation.  Forget the "crisis" in Spain - the Spanish people know how to enjoy life and make the most of it.  Living here, we find their sense of enjoyment of life is very contagious!

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 9:32 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Hi suemac, you make alot  of sense, enjoy your summer, enjoy all the good things life brings you and enjoy all the good things about Spain.

P.S. tomar un vaso de vino tinto en mí

Like 0      
22 Jun 2010 10:43 PM by peteha Star rating. 110 posts Send private message

Hi Redsam

you show great patience in dealing with the usual suspects who have invaded

your thread with their doom and gloom.

if only they could read they might not be in the mess they are in.

GOOD news in Spain

is the title of the thread.

maybe in todays budget they have withdrawn internet facilities in certain institutions

and we will be spared the obscure rantings of the small landlord from Kent.

as for the long distance runner from Northampton you can only apologise so many

times before it becomes meaningless. 

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 9:23 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Pete ha ha

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 9:48 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

sue

please don't remind me about TV's outside in Spain!.  4 years ago in August we were in a lovely campsite on the Costa Brava......well lovely apart from the fact we were surrounded by Spanish campers who were competing to see who had the loudest outsite TV!!.  Apart from that, it was a great holiday with all the things we love about Spain. That was also before it was confirmed that we are unlikely to ever get justice in Spain, so we still felt there was hope for a fair outcome.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 10:29 AM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear All,

please oh please give us some good news.

instead of the supposedly sensible people forever squeezing a snippet in and then returning to their "silly" state.

Techno's "spin" is now "lies" as their senses degrade further.

having started the thread why not stick to it

it could be interesting to all.

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 10:50 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

The good news (in some aspects) is that there is non-stop work and noise from the new apartment block that is being built opposite our home!  So we are off to meet our Spanish friend Juana María for coffee and then a bit of shopping....!

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 10:51 AM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Norman you where the first person to post after I started this thread and you immediately deviated from the theme, your memory is short........

MORE GOOD NEWS.

Barcelona Airport won the coveted "over 25 million passengers" category at the 6th Annual ACI EUROPE Best Airport Awards last night (June 17th).

As part of the 20th ACI EUROPE Congress in Milan, the awards recognised outstanding achievement in core activities such as security, customer service and environmental awareness.

"The airport won praise from all of the judges for its magnificent new facilities, officially opened in the past year," ACI EUROPE said in a statement.

"Barcelona Airport's ambitious €100 million [£84 million] environment investment plan also impressed the jury, along with their extremely valuable collaboration with disability groups."

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 1:09 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

Oh well, I suppose it was inevitable that Norman and Co would splurge all their stuff over a good news thread as usual. The reason people aren't contributing good news Norman, is that they know you'll just spoil it with your usual biased stuff. I don't think I'll do much posting any more - whats the point !  I have to say, if you'd spent as much time being carefull with your own affairs as you do spoiling other peoples posts, you might have been ok. I was fanatical about the circumstances and legalities of my purchase and everything worked out great. Maybe if more people had bought existing houses in nice villages, some of the bad news wouldn't have happened, and the south coast of Spain wouldn't look as horrendous as it does in places (also did you ever bother try to lean the language). Even if I'm wrong about how careful people like Norman were, I don't care, the constant spoiling of other peoples posts have started to erode my sympathy.

We were at our house last week, and had a barbeque with our spanish neighbours, watched the spain game in the bar with them, and they gave us bottles of home made wine, which was very nice. We also went to the village fiesta to mark the end of the school year, where all the different age groups of children performed acts (dance, song etc). My wife taught the kids who live near our house how to play hopscotch and how to do skipping (with a rope), and they loved it. On our last day, we had cheap grilled fish, and a couple of glasses of wine in the village restaurant, with the mountain views to gaze at - heaven.

No doubt Norman will say I'm one of his 'sillies', but having attempted to learn the language and got to know our neighbours, I know which type of person is always likely to get the most out of time spent in Spain. So if I'm a 'silly' and Norman isn't, long may it continue, and I know which I'd rather be - you often get out of life what you put in.

Over to Norman for another of his incoherent rambles

hasta luego (or ttfn for those who  haven't bothered to learn even the most basic spanish)

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 1:14 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

I have to say, I am feeling a lot more positive about the Spanish economy now.  The government are tackling the deficit and are making it easier to hire/fire people which should help reduce unemployment.  The government are also looking at ways of encouraging companies to give permanent contracts instead of the usual 1 or 2 year temporary contracts that are popular here.  No doubt this has all come about after pressure from the EU/IMF/US, but these are welcome steps.

Saying all that, I still worry about the Spanish banking system , but I guess the IMF bailout will be used for this purpose.  I also think the Costa del Sol (where I'm currently based) is in for a tough decade.  I can't see things getting much better here any time soon.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 1:15 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

23 Jun 2010 1:34 PM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Good post ovitar, but don't stop posting because of the hijackers, that in some perverse would make them happy.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2010 2:07 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Ovitar, I agree with redsam79 - please keep on posting your good news.  If it wasn't for the fact that we don't want to start yet another thread on a similar theme, I would start a thread called "Good news in Spain with NO BUTS!"

We have lived here for two years, and we are learning Spanish at the Adult Education centre (two hours a week during term time), but it's only written Spanish, grammatical exercises etc, plus our teacher doesn't speak any English.  We are making slow progress, especially conversationally, however our neighbours and Spanish friends are very encouraging and we know we understand more than a year ago.  The older you get the harder it is to remember new things, and occasionally I remember the French word rather than the Spanish word I want!  Our dog is now bi-lingual, so we rely on her to translate for us!

There are so many fiestas coming up, concerts in the castle and in the bodegas, plus meeting both Spanish and British friends during the week, that we hardly spend any time in our house.  This morning we sat outside the café, beside the gardens in the town centre, chatting to Juana María about the football, Wimbledon and various local events - in a mixture of Spanish and English.  We decided that Spain and England are unlikely to progress much further, even if they both win their next games, however we were delighted that Jumilla CF have been promoted to 2B!  Good news for local football fans......!

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

JUSTIN--HELP NEEDED WITH MY PMs - 5 posts
Telefonica Sim - i phone - 7 posts
day trip to tangiers - 6 posts
Aircon San Javier area - 1 posts
LHD FORD MONDEO GHIA 2.0CC PETROL AUTOMATIC FOR SALE 2002 - 2 posts
7,000 posts! - 26 posts
endesa electrical supply Spain bad service - 0 posts
tax relief when renting in Spain - 0 posts
RHD car in Malaga area - 2 posts
Exchange Rate in Mojacar - 2 posts
Community Data Protection charge from administrator - 6 posts
Whats coming up in the Murcia region - 9 posts
Cheapest broadband in Spain at the moment - 11 posts
Batteries in Spain - 7 posts
Ideas for my band - 5 posts
Hello, new here. - 9 posts
The tooth fairy visits again - 2 posts
Eatigng out in Rhonda - 0 posts
Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 11 posts
Strike in Spain on 8th June 2010 - 7 posts
Which is the best way from england to spain by car - 3 posts
art classes and courses in Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Your chosen weapon of defence? - 11 posts
Has any one taken a bank to court for non-payment of community Fees - 1 posts
Dogs on beaches - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 427

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x