Good news in Spain!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Jun 2010 10:39 PM by vilprano Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

OTIVAR

Spot on, there are a number of us that despite problems with estate agents, solicitors, developers etc not to mention loss of savings are making the most of things.

I am looking forward to our move in the near future and despite all the problems have managed to reach our aim of a place in Spain for our retirement.

I refuse to allow these problems to blight my life.

Despite what many think I have been actively involved in supporting others in our fight for justice, however my symp[athies with some of those you mention are being eroded.

I no longer look at rough justice, there is no need as it permeates every other thread.

Hope more people continue to post good news and that no one should feel intimidated as this should be a forum for all.

Good news our land has just been ploughed, my wife has handed in her notice today and our passage is booked for mid August so we are looking forward to posting lots of good news shortly. 

Like 0      
29 Jun 2010 11:18 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

How nice to have positive view this is what Good News in Spain is supposed to be about.  Glad to hear your news Vilparano hope all goes well for you.

I love our little part of Spain opposite a small farm. watching the farmer pick auburgines and broccilli, we even give him a glass of vino bit hard sometimes to get it through the barbed wire, but we manage.  It is so quiet and peaceful I love it but not everybody's cup of tea.

Also love the family life that exists in the village and the small school, when the children have the bike races and the teacher's all go with them and encourage them, we sit and watch them and they all wave each time they go round the Spanish children practising their English on us and the English children trying to speak Spanish, although most of them speak very good Spanish. That certainly is the age to learn. 

In the little local shop a lot of us call it Arkwrights store because that is what it reminds you of, but they are so helpful and friendly and a lot cheaper than the supermarkets.

We also get the guy that comes round selling mackeral I am not very good at filleting fish but 3euros for a bag is really good value.

Well please let's turn this thread around JUST GOOD NEWS ONLY PLEASE.

Pat 

Like 0      
29 Jun 2010 11:31 PM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

Id like to echo Pat's comments and wish you the best of luck, Vilprano and your wife, with your move to Spain to enjoy your retirement years.

Pat - what a lovely description of where you live and your local community (I know the area well ).

My soul mate (hubby) will be travelling over to our place in Rojales in 3 weeks and I wish I was going too (I cant go this time due to work commitments ....  ) .

We really enjoy our visits and Ive mentioned before on here that every time we come back to UK, it gets harder as our goal is to move over on a permanent basis as soon as poss.

This message was last edited by wend691 on 29/06/2010.

Like 0      
29 Jun 2010 11:56 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Wend691,

Yes I am afraid needs must if you need to work at the moment that should come first.  But then you have so much to look forward to moving to Spain.

I like Rojales we used to walk there but do not think Roy will be up to that now. What part do you own in?  We often go to the market have bought a few bits and pieces from there.

I love the river in Rojales we sat and watched the fish one day, but do not know what it is like at the moment with all the hot weather they have been having.

Well take care hope it will not be to long for you.

Pat

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 12:10 AM by wend691 Star rating in Lincoln & Rojales (C.... 179 posts Send private message

Hi Pat

Our place is at La Marquessa .. just a few mins walk from the shops and right near my soul mate's mum who lives in a town house on a permanent basis. Yes, there are some lovely walks by the river in Rojales and the market is great for the fresh vegetables (some bargains on the clothes front too sometimes! ... a girl's gotta have a bit of retail therapy every now and then  ). I always find the Spanish people very friendly and patient with me, especially when I ask for what could be described as a sack of potatoes weights worth of fruit by mistake. Oh well, thats the joys and fun of  learning a new language ...

Not sure about the river right now .... it can get pretty low during the summer (but can soon reach an impressive height when it rains!!).

Yes,youre absolutely right, work must come first and thank you for your wishes, Pat. Good luck and good health to you and Roy too ....

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 12:21 AM by vilprano Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

Many thanks for all the encouragement folks it has been a long time coming but thanks to all the info on this site and much searching we have found our own bargain.

The fact that so many on here are enjoying Spain and willing to share their views of the many different areas is good news in itself.

Hope you all continue to enjoy your life in the sun.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 12:58 AM by dartboy Star rating. 95 posts Send private message

More good news i recieved an email today saying that you can now take out insurance when purchasing to protect you from it being illegal.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 10:05 AM by redsam79 Star rating in Los Pacos, Costa del.... 192 posts Send private message

Good luck vilprano, a nice piece of good news. Pat and Roy, it sounds like we should all be allowed to live in your home for a while, just to remind us that the good things in Spain far out number the bad.

This message was last edited by redsam79 on 30/06/2010.

SUCCESS IS SIMPLY A MATTER OF LUCK....ASK ANY FAILURE!!

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 10:44 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

More good news i recieved an email today saying that you can now take out insurance when purchasing to protect you from it being illegal.

Dartboy, THAT warrants a brand new thread in the forum Insuring your property or maybe Moving to Spain 

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 10:53 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

As this thread was started in the General Chat forum it makes me wonder just how many bother to look further than General Chat as actually Justin created a separate forum JUST for Happy Spain experiences (click blue text, it's a link) in the General Discussions board (last one) & it has 569 threads  & 23621 views!!!!! The last two posts in there are dated 30 Mar 2010 &, UNBELIEVABLY, 12 Dec 2009

Our forum has COUNTLESS forums/sub forums yet they rarely seem to be viewed or added to. It's a crying shame as there's a lot of work gone into these by many, especially me!

This message was last edited by morerosado on 30/06/2010.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 11:31 AM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

Hi all, the thread has taken a much welcome positive tone. It's nice to hear peoples thoughts and experiences, so please keep posting if you can.

Vilprano, has your land been ploughed prior to building or are you planning to grow your own produce ? Lots of people are fascinated by the concept of growing your own food etc, and it would be great to hear how you (and others) get on. I always thought it was a pipe dream, but a relative of ours (80 years old) grows all his own stuff on a small plot near Antequera, and even takes his surplus down to the market and sells it to the Spanish locals - talk about coals to Newcastle.

Hi Pat and Roy, your area sounds a bit like ours, nice and rural, with a bit of village life thrown in, and our parents love it when they visit.  The bread man selling bread from his van outside our house. The fish man comes up from the coast on a moped with fresh fish and his weighing scales and walks round the streets yelling out what he has for sale (rosada, boquerones, calamari etc etc) and he's done the same thing since he was a boy 50 years ago. The guy on the corner bringing stuff home from his 'allotment' on the back of his mule, the church bells, everybody, including teenagers always saying hello/good morning whether they know you or not. On top of that we have lovely scenery and a couple of proper Spanish restaurants with amazing views (I had wild boar grilled with whole cloves of garlic for my last Sunday lunch there).

Keep posting, even nice but trivial things are interesting to people with an open mind.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 11:38 AM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

Don't worry Dartboy, your post may have been slightly off subject, but was at least it was a positive one - keep posting !

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 11:55 AM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear Pat & Roy and others,

that's more like it, well done, most enjoyable.

I was only seeking a holiday home but even on a weeks holiday I cannot resist the temptation to explore inland.

I often think here as I stand in the mud that life would be a bit easier if it was not so green and wet.

Thanks

Norman

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 12:17 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hubby & I love visiting the seafront at Torrelamata around a 10 minute drive, if that, from us, depending on the roadworks as the N332 is being changed from single lane to a dual carriageway (& I think someone keeps changing their minds on how best toachieve this )

Anyway back to the (trivial) story. We park just off the seafront alongside a pretty park with seats & a kids slide & climbilng frame etc. We love walking & first we go to the right , walking along a boardwalk that goes forever, past a number of beach huts that have covered seating set in the sand . The smell of sardines actually turns my stomach but never mind, I just hold my nose as we wander by.

There's a lovely area with manmade waterfalls & pine trees on the right as we stroll along the boardwalk that takes you to the urbs & the Queen Mississippi restaurant, a rather unique restaurant that is well thought of even if pricey but they sell good value snack type meals during the day. It's in the shape of a boat, here's a photo...

You can't see the area as it's in a valley, we were told about it & once you know you think 'however could I have missed that!'

Then we backtrack & wander back to our starting point & go left along the boardwalk past many more cafes to our favourite cafe which is almost as far as you can walk & immediately before where they have a wonderful if smallish (compared with many we've seen) Wednesday market when the area springs to life. The restaurant is called Asturianas & has tables in the sand. They know us there now, we've been so many times. The owner looks at us, grins as he says 'beunos' & enquires ' Americano, aqua caliente y vino tinto?' I say 'si, por favor, vino tinto normal, no frigo!' They sell wine that comes from a tap & it is chilled & I want the wine from the barrel which is room temp, often quite warm. A glass of the wine that he takes from a barrel (it's good!!!) costs 1€ & an Americano costs 1.10€ & that is on the seafront!! When he's not busy he'll bring some (gratis) tapas freshly cooked, often very hot straight from the fryer or oven.

We sit watching the waves & the few people along there on the beach & eventually succomb to another round. I drink red wine, my OH drinks coffee. He will not drink & drive, very commendable in my opinion. Sometimes we''ll read any newspapers we've picked up that morning.

If anyone goes to this delightful cafe it's closed Thursdays although the cafe with the red tables next door sell coffee & beer at the same prices (1€ coffee, 1.20€ beer) but glasses of wine are 1.50€ there.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 12:31 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

Sounds nice Morerosado.

On a similar vein, theres a cafe we like to call at on the beach in Almunecar. For 2euro, they do coffee with tostada. The toast is a long piece of toasted baguette, a small dish of chopped tomato with an olive on top, and garlic olive oil. It seemed a weird concept at first, but you drizzle the oil on, then spoon on the tomato, then add salt, and it's delicious.

Our village is 15 mins inland from Almunecar, and in the whole area you still get free tapas with all drinks, and they're often very good.

ps I thought morerosado stood for more fish, but that would be rosada. Now I realise it's means more rose wine and I feel a fool, especially as you say the smell of sardines make your stomach turn (my wife and I love them grilled over a wood fire at the beach tavernas, with a glass of red wine)

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 12:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I've just seen otivar2010's post to Dartboy ..........

Don't worry Dartboy, your post may have been slightly off subject, but was at least it was a positive one - keep posting !

after I had posted to Dartboy (after he posted .More good news i recieved an email today saying that you can now take out insurance when purchasing to protect you from it being illegal).........

Dartboy, THAT warrants a brand new thread in the forum Insuring your property or maybe Moving to Spain 

I MEANT (thought it was obvious, well it was to More ) that Dartboy should start a new thread to alert members to that as it is good news. I certainly did NOT mean he shouldn't have posted that in here as it IS good news! I believe otivar2010 thinks otherwise!

Thought I'd clear that up before the noose is hung from the tree for More too!

This message was last edited by morerosado on 30/06/2010.

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 1:10 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

Hi Morerosado, no I wasn't having a 'dig' at you, I was just trying to encourage Dartboy.

Best Wishes

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 1:30 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Thanks for that, otivar2010, one can become paranoid posting on this forum currently!

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 1:48 PM by normansands Star rating in Kent. 1281 posts Send private message

Dear More,

thanks for taking the trouble to post that.

pretty well irresistible to the holidaymaker or retiree

even our beach huts are getting use with the good weather at the moment

Regards

Norman

Like 0      
30 Jun 2010 2:33 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Yes! Good news in Spain is that Spain are through to the next round in the World Cup.

Also, more good news in Spain, is that the Mrs and I have a new addition to the family....

Yesterday, we 'inherited' a 10 week old Portuguese Water Dog puppy who would otherwise have been bound for Adana.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

JUSTIN--HELP NEEDED WITH MY PMs - 5 posts
Telefonica Sim - i phone - 7 posts
day trip to tangiers - 6 posts
Aircon San Javier area - 1 posts
LHD FORD MONDEO GHIA 2.0CC PETROL AUTOMATIC FOR SALE 2002 - 2 posts
7,000 posts! - 26 posts
endesa electrical supply Spain bad service - 0 posts
tax relief when renting in Spain - 0 posts
RHD car in Malaga area - 2 posts
Exchange Rate in Mojacar - 2 posts
Community Data Protection charge from administrator - 6 posts
Whats coming up in the Murcia region - 9 posts
Cheapest broadband in Spain at the moment - 11 posts
Batteries in Spain - 7 posts
Ideas for my band - 5 posts
Hello, new here. - 9 posts
The tooth fairy visits again - 2 posts
Eatigng out in Rhonda - 0 posts
Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 11 posts
Strike in Spain on 8th June 2010 - 7 posts
Which is the best way from england to spain by car - 3 posts
art classes and courses in Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Your chosen weapon of defence? - 11 posts
Has any one taken a bank to court for non-payment of community Fees - 1 posts
Dogs on beaches - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 427

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x