Good news in Spain!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | ... | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jul 2010 7:23 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Nadal spoke very respectfully of Murray at the end of the match actually - he has a loyal following from the Brits and made mention that this was not typical of other venues so he was grateful for their generosity of spirit........

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 8:29 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

I give up!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 9:57 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

Nobody is more partisan than me!!!  Of course the crowd is partisan - it would be no fun otherwise.  What is the point of watching a game where you do not prefer one person?  The point I am making is that it has nothing to do with nationality!!  Andy Murray is not representing a nation, nor is he part of a national team, except on the rare occasions   he has deigned to play in the Davis Cup.

Nadal has a HUGE following in England.  Indeed, during the Australian Open or whichever, Sky did a popularity poll - just based on who you like, and Nadal ran away with it.  I think Murray was third, fourth or fifth - I can't  remember.     And Rafa was having a dig at the French, who he believes do not like the Spanish.  I have to also say, the French get very fanatical about their players, but that does not alter what I am saying.  Tennis is not a national sport.  That indeed is what made the crowd at Wimbledon so respectful of Rafa - people support the players they like.  And they like Rafa, and a huge percentage of British people do not like Andy Murray, British or not.

Brian

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 10:33 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

I wouldn't back Andy Murray even if he was the last man standing. He is unbelievably arrogant, but that aside, when asked about who he supports his reply was... anyone but England.

You are right Bri, he is not popular. He has zero personality unlike Federer and Nadal...or any other international player come to think of it!

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 10:34 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Good news for those of us in Spain who like to watch the Tour de France: here we can watch it live on Spanish TV whereas (no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.....) in the UK you can only see the highlights on Eurosport the following day.

At the moment David Millar is in 4th place overall and Geraint Thomas is in 6th.  Obviously they are both BRITISH - however this may change if they slip down the rankings in subsequent races.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 10:42 PM by julie anne Star rating. 1103 posts Send private message

Bri are you suggesting that Nadal has a huge following in England only surely you mean Britain  .

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 10:52 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

I like scottish people, and they're as good as anyone, the only problem is their antipathy and hostility to anything connected to England or the english. I would love to support scottish teams (and even murray), but in the same way that you can only get so many 'kicks in the nuts' before deciding not to go back for more, I can only witness so much hostility towards england and it's sportsmen, before I decide I can't bring myself to support scotland or scottish sportsmen either.

Shame really, because my natural instict is to support all the 'home' nations teams and I do have a soft spot for them, but once you realise that you're wasting your time because it's not reciprocated it becomes difficult or pointless.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 11:10 PM by julie anne Star rating. 1103 posts Send private message

otivar I am shocked !!!!!!!  you posted   " I like scottish people, and they're as good as anyone,"   Take this sentence and replace the "scottish people " part with any other race or nation and you would be in big trouble with  the PC brigade you may even have a commited a crime !!!!!!!  

As for Nadal he is actually Mallorquin which could start a whole new debate  .  Lets not  even go their !!!!!!!

This message was last edited by julie anne on 05/07/2010.

This message was last edited by julie anne on 05/07/2010.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 11:17 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Back to the footie........I take it no-one is supporting Germany then??????????????

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 11:22 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

Don't be silly, my point that scottish people are as good anybody was meant to be a compliment. The only better one I could have paid scottish people would have been to say they are better than everyone else, which would be wrong. Try not to look for offence where none is intended.

Incidentally, I wonder if many of our scottish neighbours would be quite so fair when referring to english people, maybe they can prove me wrong.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 11:34 PM by julie anne Star rating. 1103 posts Send private message

otivar  you need to think a little about what you posted try replacing the "scottish people  " bit with Black or Asian whatever your intention it is a very condecending thing to say to any race or nation .Pehaps it is you who are being silly ,just a thought !!!!!!!

I spend a lot of time in both England and Scotland and as far as I can see there is much more antipathy and hatred for Scots from the English  nowadays than the other way around  and I think your post confirms this .There are many Scots on EOS many of whom I am sure  wished England good luck in their world cup bid  if they did not then  there was not one nasty comment on the subject despite the some may say "arrogant " attitude that England were going to win . Perhaps just as arrogant as the English press portray Andy Murray to be !!!!!!!!!!

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 11:54 PM by ads Star rating. 4122 posts Send private message

Talk about divisive isn't in it!

Personally I don't give a jot whether he's English or Scottish just so long as he provides a good BRITISH sporting spectacle at the end of the day. Unfortunately some may suggest that he didn't on this occasion....

I still say that Nadal has a great attitude - a good role model for Spain and many could learn much from that alone, which is good news for Spain.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2010 11:59 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

My post was both respectful and measured., but as usual that's not enough for some people. If anyone seriously expects to be believed when they say there is no antipathy/hostility from scots to the english - particularly in sporting terms, they are deluded. Most scots reserve the right to despise most things english, while expecting the support of english people in return. Yes there may be some scots who are more circumspect when it comes to this issue, but they are in the minority.

Don't get me wrong, they are entitled to that view, but should not expect unreserved fondness in return.

Further, if anyone said they 'liked me, and that I was as good as anyone' (as I said about scots) I certainly wouldn't be offended - it seems some people look for opportunities to be offended, even if they have to invent the grounds for it themselves.

Lastly. very few people in england thought england would win the world cup, but some hoped against hope, it's what patriots do in every country. It's the papers who hype it up, quite frankly to sell more papers - and they showed equally illogical optimism for Andy Murray.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2010 12:04 AM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

Nadal is a good example of how sportsmen should be. Fantastically talented, modest, and magnanimous in victory never mind defeat. Good luck to him, and Spain in the world cup.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2010 12:12 AM by julie anne Star rating. 1103 posts Send private message

Perhaps the real difference hear is that if Scotland ever qualified for the World Cup and England didn't (highly unlikely ) The Scots would not be so arrogant to expect that England should support them and accept that England may be a bit p***** off at not being in it themselves .Simples  I would never agree that  Scots expect unreserved fondness from the English on the contrary, .As for the "as good as " thing it goes with out saying that in Britain every one is as good as and equal to everyone else in  that is why your statement is an insult.If you can't see that you are silly  I am a woman would you like to reassure me that I am as good as anyone else  

This message was last edited by julie anne on 06/07/2010.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2010 12:22 AM by 1962 Star rating in Iznalloz. 182 posts Send private message

and this thread is called what??????????

Kathy

Like 0      
06 Jul 2010 12:32 AM by julie anne Star rating. 1103 posts Send private message

Believe it or not Kathy this all started with Nadal's superb performance at Wimbledon I guess we should all  just agree to disagree  .Come on Spain World cup 2010 that really would be good news  

Not to mention one hell of a party

Like 0      
06 Jul 2010 12:33 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Is this the GOOD NEWS IN SPAIN THREAD. OR HAVE i GOT IT WRONG AGAIN.   

Well done Raffa'sl so glad he won and he was brilliant after the match even went up on the hill and signed autographs for the fans that had been watching.   

He has a lovely girlfriend who he has been with since they were at school together.  Although he has a couple of other places to live, he seems to stay with his parents a lot. Which is nice if true what is reported from the media.

As I have said before I do not care if Andy is Scottish I still think you have to support him, especially if he is the only one we have left.  Yes he has been arogant in the past, but he is not on his own there. I think he has grown up a bit now.  

I have no problem with the Scotts or the Welsh in fact we have some great friends that are Scottish and Welsh. 

Well take care everyone Pat

Like 0      
06 Jul 2010 12:41 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Julie Anne, you are obviously far too young to remember but Scotland qualified for the World Cup in 1974 and 1978 whilst England didn't.  Scotland didn't progress beyond the first group stage in either of these cups.  From what I can remember, no support was forthcoming from the English press (in fact, they seemed to go out of their way to put down every effort) and, certainly, no Scottish flags were flying in Englan, kids weren't let off classs early to watch games, pubs weren't packed to watch the Scottish games (in England, anyway) and no-one was allowed off work early to watch any of the games.  In fact, the support from those in England was very begrudging if at all.  However, the whole country is supposed to stop and support the England team no matter who is playing.  I do remember supporting England in the 1966 cup (but, then, I was a youngster and didn't know any better).  Mind you, if Wales ever qualify (they did once, in 1958, the only time ever) then I would happily be flying the red dragon from every window in my house and car (looks like I'll never have to do that).

Still, these thread drifts seem to get worse!

Vamos Espana.  Let's get a little partisan about all this. 

Like 0      
06 Jul 2010 12:48 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 804 posts Send private message

Getting back to football we were  told by our Spanish hosts that the last time Spain got as far as the 1/4 finals was in 1958 .  I don't think I had succumbed to drunkness at this stage although their home made sangria which included rum , peaches and cinnamen was just ever so slightly intoxicating..hic

However  the real purpose of my rambling is to say what wonderful traffic wardens they have where I live.

Last Friday we inadvertently parked in a residents only parking zone. As we were only staying for a few moments whilst waiting for friends thought it stupid bothering to relocate the car.

Just as we were practising the Spanish football chant of  Villa,Villa,Villa Maravilla the warden appeared. .  After  appearing to enjoy our performance he walked towards our car. Panicking, because  the fine is  60 euros I ran towards him ,excuses at the ready, but  he waved me down, told me not  a problem and walked away smiling .

Is it any wonder we think Spain is a great country to live in.    

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | ... | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

JUSTIN--HELP NEEDED WITH MY PMs - 5 posts
Telefonica Sim - i phone - 7 posts
day trip to tangiers - 6 posts
Aircon San Javier area - 1 posts
LHD FORD MONDEO GHIA 2.0CC PETROL AUTOMATIC FOR SALE 2002 - 2 posts
7,000 posts! - 26 posts
endesa electrical supply Spain bad service - 0 posts
tax relief when renting in Spain - 0 posts
RHD car in Malaga area - 2 posts
Exchange Rate in Mojacar - 2 posts
Community Data Protection charge from administrator - 6 posts
Whats coming up in the Murcia region - 9 posts
Cheapest broadband in Spain at the moment - 11 posts
Batteries in Spain - 7 posts
Ideas for my band - 5 posts
Hello, new here. - 9 posts
The tooth fairy visits again - 2 posts
Eatigng out in Rhonda - 0 posts
Feeling hot, hot, hot!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 11 posts
Strike in Spain on 8th June 2010 - 7 posts
Which is the best way from england to spain by car - 3 posts
art classes and courses in Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Your chosen weapon of defence? - 11 posts
Has any one taken a bank to court for non-payment of community Fees - 1 posts
Dogs on beaches - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 427

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x