End of analogue TV? Do I need a new box?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Feb 2010 12:00 AM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

Apparently analogue TV switches off on lots of towns on 29 March. I read this in Euroweekly but I don't know much more than that. There was a list of towns that included Marbella and Manilva. But nothing about Estepona. Does anyone have any info. Do I just buy a freeview type box (TDT?) and plug it into the TV?

Like 0      
20 Feb 2010 9:56 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Yes.  I assume you have been using a DVD or VHS recorder over the years.  This is exactly the same principle and plugging a TDT box in will enable you to view digital broadcasts on your TV using AV1, AV2 etc (or L1, L2, whatever name your TV gives it).

Bit of advice, don't go for the very cheap TDT boxes (you can get them around €20 or so) as they tend to lose picture quality.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2010 2:33 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

I bought one with a DVD player for around 50 euros in Carrefour and works perfectly. It even has a USB facility to listen to music and so on.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2010 10:48 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Before you do anything, are you sure your TV doesn't already have a digital tuner already installed?

How old is your TV?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
21 Feb 2010 12:16 PM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

Good point. I'll check literature. It's only two years old. 

If it hasn't...only one scart socket.  Anyone out there know if there is a combined TDT and DVD player!  Our integral DVD player has given up the ghost  and I was going to buy DVD player in UK as cheaper .  

Then saw TDT news.

Do you know, does Estepona switch over, too?

Like 0      
21 Feb 2010 12:35 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I've got a message coming up on La 1 that it will cease from 10th March.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
21 Feb 2010 8:42 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Liz, I think Estepona switches over at the same time.

Do you know the make and model of your TV?  If it's only 2 years old it should be ready for digital.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Feb 2010 3:57 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Switched off in our area in December last year, can't get BBC Worldwide on digital!

If the TV is only 2 years old, it should have a digital tuner built in. Look for DVB anywhere on the unit. This means it is ready for use, just connect to the aerial, scan and away you go.

There are some unscrupulous people around, neighbours of ours were told they had to buy a TDT box as their telly was not compatible. I went round there and set the "non compatible" tv for them and got a crate of San Miguel for my trouble . If you can't see a sticker on your set, post the telly details and i'm sure one of the satellite bods will be able to help.

Mark

Like 0      
22 Feb 2010 5:29 PM by lizh Star rating in Estepona/London. 161 posts Send private message

thanks all

Liz

Like 0      
27 Feb 2010 1:09 AM by Caz.I Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Hi,

If you do find you need to get a TDT box, you can now get a DVD player with TDT integrated. Have seen them around from about 40 euros.

Caz.I

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What is a Denuncia exactly? - 5 posts
changing lawyers - 2 posts
A good value Spanish red wine - 25 posts
Barcelona - 9 posts
contact town hall - 3 posts
Airport Transfers - 2 posts
Looking to buy rural land to site holiday cabin or caravan - 6 posts
amber pools - 5 posts
Market research for a potential new business - 2 posts
Xbox live - 1 posts
Tax?????? income tax home or away??? - 5 posts
hola, alguien habla español - 12 posts
We need El Corte Ingles on the Costa Blanca North - 7 posts
can the euro survive - 1 posts
Hello just joined eyeonspain! - 12 posts
Holidays/short term visits - 2 posts
Horizontal Law Community Buiding Insurance - 3 posts
Any tips? - 0 posts
CAMERA PROBLEM - 2 posts
You need a strong physical guy doing the hard work? - 0 posts
Free Pre-paid Master Card - 0 posts
Paperless banking - 2 posts
Wanted palletts brought over from the uk once a month - 0 posts
Tumble Drier - 4 posts
Costa Del Sol - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x