Buying a car in UK on Spanish plates then driving over to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Dec 2009 12:00 AM by yvonnebarton Star rating in Rickmansworth, Herts.... 27 posts Send private message

I have trolled various threads on buying cars but cant seem to find an answer to my question, so sorry if I am repeating things but can someone help:

We have the opportunity to buy a good car here in the UK from a reliable source (friend of a friend) which is on Spanish plates.  Then we want to drive it over to Spain and leave it at our property to use on our visits. 

I have been on www.carimportinspain.com which lists all the documentation I need before buying this car.  But my question is, how and when do I get it registered in my name? 

If this is in Spain, then how do I manage to insure it and drive it legally if it is not in my name?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Like 0      
08 Dec 2009 6:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Firstly, you need to be more than 100% confident that the source is reliable, as any debts, fines etc., go with the car, not the owner. You can check a cars status with Tráfico, but from outside of Spain this may be difficult. Likewise, registering the new ownership details will be easier to do when you are in Spain, so the car may as well stay in the existing owners name while you drive down. I'm not sure what documentation you need from the seller (bill of sale?) so check carefully before departing for Spain. Most Spanish insurance policies cover any driver, so there shouldn't be a problem. Just check with the seller that they have it properly insured and get a copy of the documentation, and their agreement not to cancel it until you can re-register it.

Hope this helps, but get other opinions too before committing.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Mar 2010 6:17 PM by degato34 Star rating in West Yorkshire (God'.... 35 posts Send private message

Whilst on the thread about driving ( in Spain, or anywhere else) particularly if you are in a car that is unfamiliar to you - say, a hire car.

Do you have a problem knowing  on which side of the car the fuel filler cap is located?

Look at the small fuel motif that is on the dash, next to the fuel level indicator. The location of the pump handle usually matches the side the of the car on which the filler cap is located. Just occasionally  it does not (I think the Kia is different)

Happy driving, and drive carefully.

Degato

This message was last edited by degato34 on 27/03/2010.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2010 9:03 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

It would be lovely if that were true, degato.  Unfortunately, this was posted some time ago so I checked.  My UK car has it on the right which is where the filler cap is.  I hired a Citroen in Spain and the hose was on the left, ditto the filler cap.  So far, so good.  Next time, I hired a Toyota.  Pump symbol on the right but the filler cap on the left.  Hmm.  Next time a Kia and again, opposite sides.  Finally a Renault and hose and filler cap on left.

So it looks like they stick the hose symbol on the offside and, if the car is made in a country that drives on the left (RHD) then the filler cap is correct ie UK, Japan, Korea (all driving on the left).  The problem comes when they change it to LHD for exports and it all goes awry.  Must be something to do with dashboards being made as a standard.  Same with LHD countries changing to RHD for selling to UK (or any of the other 82 countries in the world that drive on the left).

Nice try, though.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

New member - 3 posts
Car Hire for New Year - 1 posts
cuality service - 0 posts
Community TV issues & installers - BE AWARE - 0 posts
Earn 10€ a Lead - 3 posts
Iberdrola / New power limiters / law - 27 posts
Monarch flights to Murcia from Manchester - 10 posts
brown v cameron - 3 posts
Local Photographer Benalmadena - 0 posts
christmas ,spain or uk - 6 posts
Sofa Bed - 0 posts
Christmas Day Lunch Recommendations please! - 4 posts
is my polaris world contract legal - 1 posts
Puente de la Inmaculada - 3 posts
removals to and from spain in a transit van - 0 posts
transit van going to england early january - 0 posts
Queen Mary - 0 posts
Debtors without a Budget - 20 posts
Lookout! Lookout! I'm back from the UK - 14 posts
European Property Owners Day - 0 posts
Student's budget airline survey - 0 posts
Let's See If We Can Make a Connection? - 4 posts
registering for health care - 1 posts
signature color - 3 posts
One For Our Legal Expert? (Copyright) - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x